Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #1

Rear wall starting to separate from side walls??

2013 Eagle Premier 355 MKTS Rear wall separating from the side walls. Its like the rear of the 5er is starting to fall off. Can this be fixed? I have tried to push/pound it back in. No luck. We really like this 5er and have had no issues with it until now. Anyone ever have this happen? Is it safe to continue to travel with it?. So far right/door side has moved back about a half inch.
Help Please.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:36 PM   #2

I just dealt with this on mine. The wood frame of the rear wall on the corner rotted and started to separate. The right way to fix is to remove the entire back wall and fix the frame but I did not feel like doing it. I have the blueprint of the rear wall from Jayco so I could do a complete rebuild someday.
Anyway, I believe the water leaked in through the screws under the plastic covering that holds the corner trim on. I opened up the inside wall and found that the side wall frame was undamaged, only the rear wall frame. Cleaned out and removed as much rotted wood as possible. Then I ripped a 2x4 to the same dimension as the old frame, I think it was 1-1/2”. Fit the new wood into the corner then removed a bunch of the trim screws and refastened the back wall to the side wall with 3-1/2” deck screws. I only had to do the bottom 2 feet and the damage was on the right rear corner but I drove 3-1/2” screws into the left rear corner too. To prevent further damage I stripped off the plastic trim and caulked every single trim screw and made sure they were all tight. The corner is fixed and I did not cover up the inside wall yet so I can confirm there are no more leaks.
Just to be sure I also resealed all of the marker lights.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote