Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #1

Unhappy recall notice for 2017 Jayco pinnacle

I received a recall notice on my 2017 pinnacle 37 rsts.
can anyone tell me if they have experienced this problem and what exactly
is happening to the suspension to warrant a recall.
Have looked and cannot tell what is wrong or going bad on the suspension.
I am not close to a dealer to take this in to them.

Thanks for any help and direction on this.
haweinberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #2

The leaf springs were undersized for the load. The trailer is bottoming out axle-to-frame when you hit a hard bump. This can bend an axle, snap a spring and lead to bad tire wear. The fix is new springs and hard rubber bumper over travel stops. The whole assembly needs to be inspected first.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:29 PM   #3

Smile Pinnacle recall notice

Thanks for the response. That makes sense now. I have about 15000 miles
and luckily the suspension appears to be fine. Have upgraded to disc brakes
but all else is good. Thanks again for the answer.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #4

I would still find someone to inspect it all, springs, break backing plates all of it. My nieghbors 2017 FBTS is being picked up today Jayco is buying it back after his springs and breaks all failed. Don't mess around it isn't worth it.
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #5

Pinnacle recall

A royal pain in the a** Jayco wants you to make 3 trips to the dealer so it can be piecemealed repaired. We are snow birding in Florida 1200 miles from our dealer so I had to find one down here willing to do the inspection/ repairs. I got lucky and called RV ONE, Tampa and spoke to Marshell very helpful. Just had mine inspected last Thursday , no visible damage but it failed the clearance test. First you have to have it weighed at a CAT scale and if you are within specs the Jayco Dealer will inspect it to see what parts you need. I am getting all 4 repair kits. Hope this helps. I will try to post Jayco's recall instructions.
Steve & Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #6

Jayco recall instructions

This is what my dealer sent me, a long read but what you need know.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 19V-702__2019-551_Pinnacle_Suspension (1).pdf (2.34 MB, 49 views)
Steve & Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #7

Jayco Recall, what a mess.

Thanks for the Jayco report. Explains a lot and scares me too.
I really appreciate the follow up with attachment.
Retirement was getting too easy anyway. This will give my wife something to do.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:49 PM   #8

Even though the recall is for Pinnacle, heavy North Point owners need to check their rigs. Our 377 North Point had the same issue and Jayco did the same upgrade.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyof5 View Post
I would still find someone to inspect it all, springs, break backing plates all of it. My nieghbors 2017 FBTS is being picked up today Jayco is buying it back after his springs and breaks all failed. Don't mess around it isn't worth it.

Transport guy showed up this morning and left 10mins later said he wasn't hauling it back to Indiana it was not safe. Local camping world had to come it out of the park
Old 03-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #10

Hello, we are trying to have this recall work done now on our 2017 Pinnacle 36FBTS which was purchased new. We have already had 2 roken leaf springs.
One on each side. We took it to the dealer a week and a half ago after having it weighed. Both axles are at 6340 so not overweight. We originally took it to the dealer to be evaluated and have the bumper stops installed last August. The pictures are of the indentations they are putting into the frame rails. I was told by Jayco customer service I needed to address my concern to Lippert. The kicker is the dealer is now saying they do not have the correct parts and cannot tell me when they will receive. Any suggestions? Anyone have a contact at Jayco?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5966.jpg   IMG_5964.jpg  
kliney1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliney1016 View Post
Hello, we are trying to have this recall work done now on our 2017 Pinnacle 36FBTS which was purchased new. We have already had 2 roken leaf springs.
One on each side. We took it to the dealer a week and a half ago after having it weighed. Both axles are at 6340 so not overweight. We originally took it to the dealer to be evaluated and have the bumper stops installed last August. The pictures are of the indentations they are putting into the frame rails. I was told by Jayco customer service I needed to address my concern to Lippert. The kicker is the dealer is now saying they do not have the correct parts and cannot tell me when they will receive. Any suggestions? Anyone have a contact at Jayco?
Definitely have the dealer contact Lippert. Jayco CS is an absolute joke.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:28 PM   #12

jayco recall

Sorry to hear about your issues. Jayco has issued a " recall " related to this suspension issue. We had received a recall notice on this issue.
Can be a very serious problem on the road. We were not close to our dealer, so we called a Jayco dealer in Las Vegas, Johny Walker. They were excellent to deal with. Verified the recall, said they had not heard of it before I contacted them. This was last April. Because of the pandemic they did not have the parts so we waited a month until they became available. They had to inspect and weigh the RV. Our model is a pinnacle 37 rsts. We then had to drive the 100 miles and left it for about a month. They did confirm the need and ordered the appropriate parts. New heavier leaf springs added one more, added bump stops and backing plates. We have not used the rv since the repair. Because of the pandemic our travel has been on hold for the last 12 months.
Jayco had a whole separate dept and when we initially called Jayco we were transferred to this unit set up to handle the recall.
They did pay us to replace 4 tires also.
I would recommend you call Jayco and and see if that special dept. for the recall is still up and running. They knew what they were doing.
Strange since you bought new that you have not received a " recall notice ".
I looked for my emails but could not find.
Good luck.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliney1016 View Post

I am not a lawyer and I have never played one on the television but I would call BS on YOU have to contact anyone other then Jayco. They put the parts on they sold you trailer they need to handle it. It may be time to call a lawyer. I know someone that went through the same stuff with his and jayco ended up buying his trailer back for what he paied for it and all the upgrades ( washer/dryer, slide toppers, a few other things) I would also strongly suggest having someone do a careful inspection of the break backing plates. My buddy's were all cracked. When the transport guy came to drag it back to Indiana he got under it and said he wouldn't hook it up to his truck. Jayco had the local dealer come get it until they could get a lowboy out to take it back.
Good luck hope it works out for you