Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #1

Reese Goose Box for 377 RLBH

Anyone know the proper Reese model number?

I really wanted to do the Andersen Ultimate mount, ultimately cheaper and easier to set up, but it seems pretty cut and dried that Lippert struck a deal with Reese and won't endorse Andersen, putting the warranty at risk.

I know that Andersen has a $5mm supplemental warranty, but the last thing I want to be is caught in the middle of a warranty scuffle.

Hoping there is a Reese Goose Box model that directly fits the 377 RLBH pin box receiver...

How is bed height difference accounted for with Reese, different height goose ball?
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:55 PM   #2

I cannot answer your question other than to tell you it is generally not recommended to use a goose box for any fifth wheel. The fifth wheel frames aren't designed to handle the added torque and stress. If you search the forum, you'll find plenty of folks with cracked sidewalls running stock pin boxes (my 377 included). I would go with the Anderson or a conventional hitch instead of the goose box. Just my .02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I cannot answer your question other than to tell you it is generally not recommended to use a goose box for any fifth wheel. The fifth wheel frames aren't designed to handle the added torque and stress. If you search the forum, you'll find plenty of folks with cracked sidewalls running stock pin boxes (my 377 included). I would go with the Anderson or a conventional hitch instead of the goose box. Just my .02

Correct except that the Reese Goose Box is the *only* gooseneck adapter that is guaranteed not to cause frame issues.

Lippert, the company who manufactures 90% of the 5th wheel frames on the market, will NOT void your warranty if the Reese Goose Box is used.

Lippert WILL void your warranty if they find that the Andersen Ultimate hitch was used (along with all other goose type hitches except Reese).
Old 10-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #4

Was unaware that the Reese was approved by lippert. Thanks for the insight

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #5

So no one here is using the Reese Goose Box on a 377RLBH?
Old 10-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #6

I use a reese goose box on my 355mbqs, no issues.
Earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #7

I find it hard to believe that lippert will void a warranty if you use the Andersen hitch, every dealer we went to looking at trailers they all were pushing the Andersen and I'm starting to see a lot being used. Not calling you a liar just my opinion.

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringneks View Post
I find it hard to believe that lippert will void a warranty if you use the Andersen hitch, every dealer we went to looking at trailers they all were pushing the Andersen and I'm starting to see a lot being used. Not calling you a liar just my opinion.
Here's some evidence:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-73224.html

https://www.granddesignowners.com/fo...eel-Connection

I am sure Reese is just protecting their exclusivity with Lippert by requiring them to block other designs. Not saying that the Andersen would cause issues, the high hitch point mimics a 5th wheel hook up, but Lippert has the final word...

In the end, the Reese is just a couple hundred bucks more than the Andersen, and once installed nothing has to be hooked up in the bed, so in the end it's not a huge bad deal. I'm used to craning my neck to hook up goosenecks.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #9

If I had a goose ball in my truck I'd get that Reese goose box. Makes the Anderson (goose ball version) and B&W Companion obsolete.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:31 PM   #10
Site Team

I have read everything I could find about the Reese goosebox for about 2 years now. If we ever decide to up grade to a 5er I will definitely go with the goosebox. I have not found any bad reviews of it and as has already been mentioned it will NOT void the lippert warranty..

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringneks View Post

So I emailed Lippert Customer Service to put this issue to rest:

Me: Looking at purchasing a new Jayco 377RLBH and am wondering if the Andersen Ultimate hitch will void my Lippert chassis warranty.

Lippert: I would not state that this would void your warranty, however LCI does not advise the use of any extensions or adapters to be used on the king pin of our pin boxes. If this is used and causes any damage to your coach LCI will not be able to assist on the issue. Now on the other hand if you use the Reese Goose box with this Anderson hitch this would be acceptable as we have tested this Goose box hitch on our units and works well on our chassis.

Me: The Andersen Ultimate hitch does not extend the box at all, but it does use an adapter a few inches tall that converts the pin to a ball receiver.

Since the hitch point remains essentially at the same height as a 5th wheel, would there be any grounds for warranty denial should I experience frame damage using the Andersen Ultimate?

Lippert: Like I have stated. If you are using any adapters or extensions on the pin box and this causes any damage to the pin box or chassis LCI would not be able to assist on the repair.

So that seems to settle that. I guess I'm looking at the Reese Goose Box.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #12
KAR

If you are just looking to use your existing goose ball without adding rails to your truck, then there are other options. Pullrite has an inverted AUH design. B&W and Blue Ox both make fifth wheel hitches that mount via a goose ball. The Blue Ox looks especially easy to remove from a vehicle. If I was buying a new truck I’d go with a goose ball and either of these 2 options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:03 PM   #13

Reese

I have used a Reese goosebox on my eagle 321RSTS for the past two years with no issues. Depending on the rating on your 377 pin box you may need the 20k model instead of 16k. Like the ride with air bladder when pulling and clean truck bed when not with b\w flip hitch. Good luck on your research.
Rsoccfan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAR View Post
If you are just looking to use your existing goose ball without adding rails to your truck, then there are other options. Pullrite has an inverted AUH design. B&W and Blue Ox both make fifth wheel hitches that mount via a goose ball. The Blue Ox looks especially easy to remove from a vehicle. If I was buying a new truck I’d go with a goose ball and either of them.
Thanks, but I'm looking for a goose type hitch that won't jeopardize the Lippert chassis warranty.

The Reese Goose Box is the only one that won't jeopardize the Lippert chassis warranty.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:19 AM   #15

He is referring to regular fifth wheel hitches that attach to the goose ball in the truck. They do not cause any warranty issues.

But, they cost as much or more than the Reese goose pin box so I'd still go that route if I had a ball in the bed of my truck. Those hitches also weigh a lot.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:29 AM   #16

Oh, got it, they are 5th up top and goose on the bottom. My bad.

It is seeming that there are not any real arguments against the Goose Box if a goose ball is already present and one does not already own a 5th wheel receiver. Cost of entry is about the same and the warranty is not affected. And you get to avoid any setup or loss of bed room. I'm sold, now I just need to get confirmation that the receiver wings in the trailer will work with the Goose Box 20k unit.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:50 AM   #17

Are the possible issues with bed clearance the same with the goosebox as a regular fifth wheel pin box?

Or maybe worse?

I have a 6 ft 6 inch bed.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #18

I'd ask Reese for dimensions and then measure. But, seems to me it should be fine since it would have to allow 90 deg turn.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:23 AM   #19

Hello, new to the forum but we have been using the 20k Reese goosebox on our 377rlbh. The 16k will not fit without drilling holes in it. If you still need a model number I am happy to get it.
We have crossed the country from Wisconsin to Oregon 3 times now with no issues.
I also had the dealer contact Jayco directly before installing for proof that it would not void the warranty.
Super happy with the reese and the trailer.
Wabalooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:25 AM   #20

To answer the clearance issue, I have an 8'6" flat bed on an f450 with an addition 6" bumper of the back. It's close in corners but clears without issues even when on hilltops.
Wabalooba is offline   Reply With Quote