Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #1

Reese Reveloution King Pin Issues

Does anyone have issues with Reese Reveloution Hitch Head / King Pin moving to the side when hitching up? If so how did your correct it ? Reese customer service never answers their phones. Worthless ...

Marko
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:17 PM   #2

I have the revolution pin box but keep mine locked out. I would imagine you could slide the bolts in the holes to keep it from moving when hitching up and then pull them back out.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Does anyone have issues with Reese Reveloution Hitch Head / King Pin moving to the side when hitching up? If so how did your correct it ? Reese customer service never answers their phones. Worthless ...

Marko

Can you turn your pinbox by hand?

I cannot on mine. I have the airborne version and do not have that problem.

I do back in as straight as I can.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:37 AM   #4

Drago yes with a small amount of effort I can turn the head of the king pin in either direction.

Marko
Old 08-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Drago yes with a small amount of effort I can turn the head of the king pin in either direction.

Marko

Try the torquing procedure for the 4 bolts on top of the bearing sleeve. Torque bolts to 150 foot pounds then back them off to 45 foot pounds.

Maybe they are too loose or it is not seated completely.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:56 PM   #6

Marko, Here is my $.02 worth. I have the Reese Revolution and love it. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say ""moving to the side when hitching up." If you are indicating that when the hitch engages the king pin the moves sideways instead of sliding into the hitch "V", I would say you are not lining up with the revolution. One has to be lined up with it in order for the "wedge" to slide into the "V" of the hitch.

On my RV, I could not move the pen box by hand from side to side until this past spring when I removed it to do the annual service on the bearing. The bearing was DRY. After packing the bearing and re-assembling, torqueing the castle nut to the 80 LBs, I can now with moderate effort move it from side to side by hand. If you can move yours
with little effort, I would suggest checking the torque on the castle nut.

Also, check the wedge. It has to be adjusted to the hitch.

Hope this helped
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #7

I have had two 5th wheels both with the revolution pin box.

The first set up was on a F150 short bed (5'-5") and a 28' Rockwood and the revolution was unlocked. Its was a real PITA to operate. If you werent almost straight on it was almost impossible for me to unlatch it and separate. I may have had the wedge set in too tight but for other reasons that rig only lasted 5 months and we traded it off.

I now have the same pin box on a 33' Jayco with a F350 short bed (6'-9"). I have the pin box locked and there's no issues with clearance. I hook up and unhook with absolutely no issues from any angle.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #8

Jim Smyth

I will work with my dealer to make sure I can lock out my pin box.

Prior to you locking your pin box and your older rig did you have any problems backing up? Mine has a lot of swivel when backing up. I hope to put a end to the swivel.

Marko
Old 08-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #9

Shorty Cox

Thanks for your input. I will work my dealer to make sure all parts are torque to Reese specifications.

Do you have any issues with backing up your rig? My Eagle 27.5 RLTS tends to rotate / swivel side to side even going super slow.

Marko
Old 08-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #10

Sounds lke something isnt correct. There are 2 very large bolts that are either bolted down in place locking the whole unit so it doesnt pivot and works like a conventional 5th wheel. Or you remove those 2 bolts and install the wedge and then it pivots 21" behind the kingpin giving you more turning clearance for short bed vehicles.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #11

Marko, It sounds like something is not set up correct on you unit. It does have the wedge installed? Also, the wedge is sorta specific to the hitch. I would suggest you make sure you have all components installed properly. There should not be any swivel side to side. It more and more sounds like the wedge is not engaging in the hitch, or is missing.

Everything Jim Smyth said is correct. There should be no pivot at the hitch. All pivot is 21'' behind the kingpin.

Post a pic
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:57 AM   #12

Shorty Cox

I only have the swivel or wiggle when I am backing up rig. My rig when backing up just can go straight. I do have the wedge in.

Marko
Old 08-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #13

It almost sounds like the wedge isnt in far enough creating some slop. Go to your dealer and have them look at it.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #14

Jim Smyth

Jim I am scheduled with my dealer for this Thursday and I will have them check it out. I post the results .

Thanks!

Marko
Old 08-11-2020, 05:54 AM   #15

Reese Revolution Hitch Update

This swivel type hitch head was what Jayco put on all Eagle HT fifth wheels back in 2016 and maybe 2017 to accommodate short bed 1/2 ton pick-up trucks. My problems with the Revolution is when you back up long distances (50 ft.). I figured out very slight steering wheel rotations left and right helps keeps it somewhat in line with the occasional stopping and pulling forward to straighten out also helps but it's a pain. I know you can take the hitch block off and replace the bolts back in but is it worth it? You don't want to jack knife and dent your rear cab or worst bust out your rear window. Anybody else have this problem with the Reese Revolution Hitch? Cause I am thinking about upgrading the hitch. I have a 2016 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS with a now newer 2018 Chevy 1 ton with a 6.6 or standard bed. Thanks in advance.