Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 AM   #1

Reese Revolution

Hi again,

I was wanderingif anyone out there has experience with the reese revolution Pin box Option. It is basically an OEM version of the reese sidewinder. I have a standard box CC, and trying to decide between a sliding hitch or the offset pivot point of the revolution. As spoken about before, we are looking at the 365bhs. It is a lot of trailer to pull, andd the extra manueverability would be nice. The one drawback is the revolution does not come with an air ryde option or a MOR/ryde option. Thank you all again for responding.

Greg
7mgcmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #2

Greg, I can't give any advice. I just purchased a 31.5 fbhs with the Reese revoltion pin box. I've only pulled it twice, that being home from the dealer then again from the driveway to the parking shed. I was concerned about pulling a 5er, but, it soooooooo much better that pulling a bumper pull. I chose the Revolution after some research. I did not want a slider as I did not want the weight to shift while turning.

As I said, I can't give advice, but I do like the choice I made.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #3

I bought the Revolution when we ordered our current fiver, I am happy we did. I use a Standard Reese Signature Series hitch, works great. I too wish they offered a factory Airborne option, it would be nice. With my truck I never have to worry about the Fifth Wheel hitting the cab, that is reason enough to buy it. Works as advertised, I would buy it again.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #4

7mg and Shorty,
What is your TV?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #5

Is the Revolution an option for the 365 ?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #6

I have a 365 with the Mor-Ryde pin which I added aftermarket due to not knowing what I wanted at the time.

The chucking effect on the truck is almost all but eliminated with the Mor-Ryde on there now. Before it would get going pretty good on some lumpy roads and restarts could be creaky. If you have a shortbed I would go with a slide and some cushion between you and the trailer. Those long trips are going to be more enjoyable and not as fatiguing IMHO. If a long bed then get the factory Mor-ryde and you'll be good to go.

Also there has been mention of Sidewinders being a factory voiding add on for the frame. Don't quote me on this but I have read in other threads where contacting Jayco on this might be something you do before investing.

They make some hithes with cushioning which would be another option if you go with the Sidewinder. Either way something should be had between you and the trailer based on my experience with this unit having both a rigid and cushioned setup.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #7

Redhorse, My TV is a Chevy Duramax four door short bed. Kitty and I first gave the 365 BH some thought but went with the 31.5BH as I was concerned with my TV not being a 1ton with duel wheels.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #8

Our camper we bought off the lot had the Revolution on it. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time but after doing some research I realized I didn't need the slider and would have no worries about turning into the truck. The dealer we bought ours off of didn't have a clue what the Revolution pin box did he swore I needed a slider no matter what with a short bed truck. I ignored him and didn't get the slider, we have only pulled it twice but seems like a good thing to me.
Farmer Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #9

re: reese revolution

Our TV is a 2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD ccsb 4X4. The reese revolution is an option on the 2013 365BHS, as well as an optional larger fridge.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #10

They make a sidewinder airborne unit. Will Jayco allow you to upgrade to that unit? If not maybe a hitch setup with some cushion is in order.

You're probaly also going to need some type of beef up in your rear suspension as well.

It's a heavy unit at the pin.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #11

I have the Revolution and it works just as it's supposed to. One added benefit is that when parked at your site, you can swivel the pin under the trailer so there's no risk of anyone walking into it. You also need no grease on the hitch plate so things stay a lot cleaner.

I didn't ask Jayco, but I did contact Reese about adding the fifth airborne. I was told that I'd need to replace everything. I can't imagine Jayco voiding anything since the frame was designed for the Revolution, the added bracing (or what ever they do special) is there and all you would add is the cushioning.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #12

Re:

I have a set of airbags on order. There is no option to upgrade to an airryde. You can replace the whole pinbox with an airborne sidewinder. Much more expensive than the revolution, about 3x the price.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #13

NYLYON, are you saying you can turn the pin box around by hand. I've tryed to do just that on mine and can't turn it by hand. Maybe I'm just not hoss enough or mine will loosen up as time passes.

Shorty
Old 04-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #14

Yes, I can turn mine by hand, it's stiff but very movable.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #15

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Greg, I can't give any advice. I just purchased a 31.5 fbhs with the Reese revoltion pin box. I've only pulled it twice, that being home from the dealer then again from the driveway to the parking shed. I was concerned about pulling a 5er, but, it soooooooo much better that pulling a bumper pull. I chose the Revolution after some research. I did not want a slider as I did not want the weight to shift while turning.

As I said, I can't give advice, but I do like the choice I made.

Shorty
In looking at the Revolution type pin boxes it looks to me that when you are in a turn, the weight of the trailer is over the turret of the pin box. This makes me think that if the weight is over the turret, then the turret end of the pin box is acting as a lever pulling up on the pin. Is this right?

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #16

Panhead, Not sure I understand your statement. With a Reese Revolution the weight of the trailer sitting on the truck remains just in front of the rear axle during turns. With a slider, during turns, the trailer weight sitting on the truck moves from just in front of the rear axle to just behind the rear axle of the truck. This shift would also remove weight from the front wheels of the TV.

Nylyon, After reading you post, last evening I pushed with all my mite to turn the pin box 180 degrees by hand. It would not budge. Before you ask, yes the locking bolts are removed. It turns at that location while traveling. Do you think there is a problem with mine? Just how easy does yours turn?

Shorty
Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #17

Well I suppose that it's either yours or mine.... Can't explain so I took a brief video..

Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #18

Nylyon,
That is amazing, mine will not do that at all. Makes me wonder if mine is okay. I guess time will tell. I'm going out now to take another look at mine.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #19

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Panhead, Not sure I understand your statement. With a Reese Revolution the weight of the trailer sitting on the truck remains just in front of the rear axle during turns. With a slider, during turns, the trailer weight sitting on the truck moves from just in front of the rear axle to just behind the rear axle of the truck. This shift would also remove weight from the front wheels of the TV.

Shorty
What I'm trying to say is...... If you are at a 90* angle with your TV the weight would have to be over the turret part of the pin box. This is part of the reason you can't use a Revolution type pin box with the B&W companion hitch. I think Jayco stopped putting them on the Super Lites from the factory as well.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #20

Just purchased a 31.5RLTS, which had a RR. It is a factory option only Jayco does not warrant an after market addtion. They said that they add additional reinforcement to the front end structure. I really like it, we pull with a 2008 Chevy Duromax and it is great you just do not get into a place where there is an issue with clearance between the 5er and the cab. As long as you pay attention to where you are and do not get hemed in. I have a Curt 16K non slider. The pin box seems to be a little out of line with the truck sometimes but i figure that there has to be some play between the hitch and the pin box spacers, which are a part of the RR. I will contact Reese and see if there are any special spacers for my hitch to eliminate even more of the play. I do not see a problem with the play it is just looking in the rear mirror and the pin box being a little to one side or the other. Nor sure if the RR is available in the larger models.
-Reece Revolution Pin Box - Requires a double jaw hitch
lastone is offline   Reply With Quote