Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #1

Reese Revolution Maintenance

I have a 2011 30.5 BHLT with a Reese Revolution. I didn't realize that there's annual maintenance which needs to be performed for this pin box.

Recently, I bought a new tow vehicle, and when setting up my new Curt hitch, I noticed about a ¼" gap between the pin box mounting bracket and the turret. I contacted Reese and they recommended loosing up the 2 ¼" castle nut and lubricating the friction plate with white lithium grease.

When I lowered the turret, I immediately noticed that there were gouges on the friction plate, so I decided to order the Revolution 16K Maintenance kit which comes with new bearing, race, friction plate and nylon bushing.

Today my son and I removed the pinbox and took it apart. OMG, the bearing was a complete rust bucket, not a hint of grease anywhere. The bushing was noticeably thinner on one side than the other (probably where the gap came from) and overall things looked pretty worn.

I had never perfomed maintenance on this pin box, and I am sure glad I dug into this. If you have a Revolution and have not performed maintenance, you may want to spend some time to take things apart and lubricate them well. I am ashamed of myself for not thinking of maintaining this, and glad that I finally have.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:47 PM   #2

I too have the Reese Revolution on my 2012 31.5 FBHS. The owners manual for the Reese Revolution states to service it yearly. When I ask the dealer service dept about the service, the guy looked at me odd and state he had never heard of such a thing. I attempted to take it apart once. Removed the 2 1/4 in nut, but could not get the two pieces to come apart to expose the bearing. How did you get it apart?

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #3

I removed the 6 mounting bolts holding the pin box to the trailer frame. This thing weighs about 150# so be sure that you have help! My son and I held the assembly as my wife removed the last 2 bolts. When it dropped, we were able to gently lower it to the ground.

Once it's removed, I removed the 2 ¼" nut put the assembly on the ground the way it would sit when mounted and was able to easily remove the top mount.

Getting it back installed is a bit of a task, I used screw drivers to catch the holes, then maneuvered the inbox back. It took me, my wife and 2 adult kids to get it back in.

Overall it took about an hour to perform the service, and so glad that I did.

When I just greased the turret, I loosened the nut (not remove) and rotated the turret back and forth while giggling it up and down. to reseat it, I did the same, constantly torquing the bolt.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:44 PM   #4

Nylyon, thanks for the instruction. I had thought about removing it from the RV and getting it on the ground to separate the two parts. I will have to get the wife to do it!!!!
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #5

Yesterday I decided to check the Reese Revolution hitch bearing, bushing and wear plate on our 2018 Eagle HT 28.5RSTS. I am glad I did because I found the bearing, bushing and wear plate were installed with no grease. I know these turn very slowly but putting them together with no grease is guaranteeing failure at some point in time.

I decided to disassemble the rotating parts in place rather than remove the entire pinbox as shown on the Reese Revolution YouTube video and recommended elsewhere. I just needed to find something around the house to support the pinbox after removing the 2 1/4 inch bearing nut. Standing nearby was the heavy duty plastic garbage container provided by a commercial garbage company. I opened the lid on the garbage container and put some 2x4s across it to separately support the front and back end.

I then loosened the bearing retaining nut about 1/2 inch and wiggled the rotating part of the pin box down to the nut. Next I lowered the RV front jacks unti the pin box weight was all on the 2x4s and finished removing the nut. All I had to then was raise the front jacks and the pinbox parts separated.

After cleaning everthing up I turned the wear plate over so the unused side would now be the wear surface. I used fine sandpaper to remove all the rust on the Revolution pin and sprayed it with WD-40 white lithium grease. I cleaned up the bearing and liberally coated it with the same grease. I also coated the pin bushing liberally with the lithium grease.

Putting it back together was simply reversing the RV jack procedure. After removing the 2x4s and garbage can I torqued the nut to 80 ft-lbs as recommended by Reese. The hex nut slots didn't allow installation of the cotter pin so I backed off the nut just enough to install the pin.

Doing the maintenance this way was less work and I didn't have to struggle lifting the heavy pinbox system.

Sorry for being so wordy but trust me the work is a lot easier than reading my long post. Also sorry for not taking photos of the process but I just didn't think of doing so until after I finished!

To get some idea of what the parts are like here is a link to a Reese Revolution maintenance video:

Old 11-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #6

I was caught with the same issue a couple years ago when the friction plate shifted. I also learned through Reese that there is required maintenance, my dealership also knew nothing of it.

I was able to use my tripod support on the king pin to hold the bulk of the weight of the hitch while I took the castle nut off. I found I had to wiggle the entire hitch a bit to get it to release from the mount. I then lowered it to the ground, holding it by. Both hands.

Completely dry, a sign was that rotating it by hand when mounted had become difficult. Now I always remove annually and grease the bearing with general purpose grease. Sad that most dealers don’t seem to know about this maintenance.

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #7

Whats the advantage of that hitch, we have old style? Nothing rotates on the fiver,only the hitch in the bed!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #8

bdreinv,

It moves the pivot point back about 22 inches so that with short bed trucks you can back in tight spots without the RV hitting the truck. I can go to 90 degrees with the 6ft 4in box on my 2015 Ram 2500. There are a number of YouTube video showing how it works.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:26 PM   #9

Cool thanks for info!
Attached Thumbnails
BB.Flag 2008 Pinegrove.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote