Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2018, 06:06 PM   #1

Reese revolution pin box question

I have a 2016 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS 5th wheel. It has a reese revolution pin box and the pivot point is where it attaches to the camper. What would change if i choose to have the pivot point at the 5th wheel assembly instead? The box squeals no matter how much lithium grease i spray in there. looking at maybe getting a nylon king pin disk instead of using grease.
Mike1272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #2

There is a wedge of some sort that goes near the kingpin and large bolts that keep it from swinging. You take out the bolts and the wedge keeps the kingpin from turning in the hitch. With the kingpin locked the unit will now pivot where the bolts were. There is less leeway when hooking up with the wedge though. You need to be close to straight on. I’m sure there are YouTube videos on it too. I don’t think it changes how it tows just moves the pivot point.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #3

If you are towing with a short bed truck, you'll need a slider hitch. The purpose of the Revolution pin box is to avoid spending a lot more money on a slider hitch and give you the ability to use a standard hitch in a short bed truck. Is there a grease fitting anywhere on the assembly? I would think that you want a stickyer grease than a spray grease on that pivot point.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #4

Mike, I have a Reese Revolution on my 2012 FBHS. It also squeals. I think it is just a natural part of the Revolution. Thus far, I have not had any issues with the unit. The Reese Revolution owners manual recommends having the main bearing lubricated once per year. I ask the service dept. at two RV dealers about that. Both said they have never heard of such and have never serviced the bearing. Now for the spray lub, you will never reach the main bearing with it.

This is my take on the issue. Right or Wrong. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #5

My first setup was a F150 SB and a 28' 5er. Wedge was installed and a PITA to hitch and unhitch. Always fighting it and as already stated you need to be dead on hitching up. Good thing is you didnt have to worry about turns because of how its designed. I could do 90 degree turns and not be close to my cab or hitting the inside of the bed.

That set up also didnt tow well which I attribute to the short bed/short wheel base and the actual pivot point of the revolution being 20" behind the rear axle. That and being over on Payload, Read Axle weight and Tow vehicle weight. Bow wave upset was eye opening and it was like the tail wagging the dog. Not a good set up for me and quite frankly dangerous.

So to be safe we traded the F150 in and went the other way and got a F350. Then traded in the 28' 5er and got a 33' 5er which was out dream unit. It also has the same revolution hitch but I am not using the wedge on this set up and hitching is very easy at any angle and tows like a dream.

I have a teflon plate and have had no squealing on either set up.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #6

I have the Revolution, and had some noise at the pivot. I cranked the thing to 90 degrees each direction and sprayed in white lithium grease, and no more noise. Just spraying around it without turning didn't get the grease where it was needed to quite things.
I love the setup. We have almost full use of the truck bed to haul things, and the trailer tracks more in line with the truck in turns. Tows very well. It is like the best of both worlds between a TT and a 5er.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #7

White lithium....gonna have to get some because mine is squeaky as heck too

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsday75 View Post
I have the Revolution, and had some noise at the pivot. I cranked the thing to 90 degrees each direction and sprayed in white lithium grease, and no more noise. Just spraying around it without turning didn't get the grease where it was needed to quite things.
I love the setup. We have almost full use of the truck bed to haul things, and the trailer tracks more in line with the truck in turns. Tows very well. It is like the best of both worlds between a TT and a 5er.
X2 tows great 2017 27.5 RLTS
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote