Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2019, 07:19 AM   #1

Reese sidewinder question

Hey everyone the wife and I are looking at our first 5th wheel 29.5 bhds. I'm towing with an 08 ram 3500 4x4 cc 6.7 ctd but its the short bed. Looking at maybe the sidewinder and B&W patriot hitch instead of an auto slider. Has anyone used a manual slide before switching to a sidewinder did it change the way the 5th wheel towed. I seen were moving the pivot point back makes it sway more from passing trucks more like a TT would.

Thanks for any info
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:26 AM   #2

Morryde

Jayco uses the MorRyde Orbital brand of sidewinder as a factory option on smaller 5th wheels. We have one, and it seems to work great, but I don't have experience pulling a trailer, so can't say about the sway. I only notice a very slight pull from big trucks passing, but no more than I would feel without the trailer attached.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:28 AM   #3

We have 2020 295bhds being towed by a 16 ram 2500. We opted for reece slide hitch in my 6.4 bed truck. My reasoning was simplicity. I wasnt opposed to sidewinder but in my eyes. The less moving parts, the less room for issues. Just my 2 cents
Drbuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:36 AM   #4

The slide doesnt change the pivot point as you only use rear position when backing up or REAL tight turn at which point your traveling slow. The newer caps all seem to have cut corners so that you can almost turn like 85 degrees in the forward towing position. That said, i dont feel any sway from passing TT units when i tow. Save your money on fancy hitch or pin box.
Drbuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:05 AM   #5

It's more of a piece of mind thing I've been towing for short travel trailers for 15 years this is the first 5th and longest camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbuley View Post
The slide doesnt change the pivot point as you only use rear position when backing up or REAL tight turn at which point your traveling slow. The newer caps all seem to have cut corners so that you can almost turn like 85 degrees in the forward towing position. That said, i dont feel any sway from passing TT units when i tow. Save your money on fancy hitch or pin box.
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #6

I had the 5th airborne air ride / sidewinder (before Reese acquired them) on my 34' Cougar 5th wheel. It was great. Never had an issue with and it provided the clearance and ride I wanted with my shortbed truck. I also had a Reese slider hitch which I used so infrequently that I pretty much forgot I had the capability. And when I did use it prior to the sidewinder I found it to be a pain having to get out, slide, etc....

The airborne never had an issue and you don't have to remember to get out and move the slider. A plus in my book.

When I got my new 5th wheel I also had a new truck (long bed) so didn't need it anymore
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote