Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2022, 04:58 PM   #1

Refrigerator problem

We have a 2017 Jayco 27.5 and last year was our first time as a seasonal. We left the power on all season and the fridge on AC and every couple weeks we had so much frost build up in the freezer we had to shut it off to let it melt. Also when we had the frost issue in the freezer we had a moisture problem in the fridge part with water dripping from up top inside. Anyone have any ideas what would cause this or maybe it’s normal ? We weren’t there every weekend so it’s not like the fridge or freezer door was opened up a lot. Thanks for any help
Burchie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:34 PM   #2

bad door seal would be my first guess.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:38 PM   #3

X2 on the door seal. Either bad rubber fit or bad door to fridge fit. Check after dark with a strong flashlight inside and see if any light leaks. Or dollar bill test. Put a bill in the seal and see if it stays or resists pulling out. Do this all the way around.

Could just need better hinge or latch. Alternative is to replace the rubber seal.

Can't hurt to give brand and model of fridge for best advice. Others with that specific model may be having the problem.
The moisture must be getting in somewhere!
Last, do you have a drain tube? Could it be blocked. I don't and have to dump my little catch basin every few days so it won't slop while in motion.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:04 PM   #4

It’s a Norcold N81X fridge. It does have a drain in the fridge part which isn’t plugged. It actually will freeze after a few days and I have to take the tray out and let the ice melt. It freezes whether I turn it down to 3 or leave it on coldest at 5. Thanks for getting back to me.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:05 AM   #5

We had the issue of the drip tray freezing up this fall causing water to leak onto our floor. I removed the plug off the end of the drip hose and found it to be clogged. I never put it back in as the plug just has a small pin hole in it. Never had any problems after that. I also have my drip hose sticking out of the bottom vent so it drips directly into the ground after once finding the cup the hose originally dripped into was full.
one2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:12 AM   #6
Site Team

I routed mine outside also when I noticed the cup filling. Another thing I noticed this fall was when I was parked for a month , relocating it back into the cup kept it from freezing right at the end where it dripped outside.

Something else to be aware of?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:26 AM   #7

I blew air through the drain hose and it wasn’t clogged. I haven’t seen the drain cup full or where it’s ran over either. I’ll check the door gaskets. Thanks for the help