Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
The yearly fee in NY state is the license plate registration fee, and for all your money, every year you get this nifty little sticker, with the year on it, to attach to the plate. And the DMV changes the color of it every year, so it makes it easier for the cops to notice one that's out of date! Motorcycles get the same thing. Our cars and trucks used to get that type of sticker, but now you register them for two years at a time, and there's a bigger sticker that goes on the windshield, with the month and year that it expires...in BIGGER numbers. So that's something that Canada has that's better, over the states.
My 5er is registered in Washington state. When my plates renew next May, the cost will be approximately $95.00 and they send new tabs with the expiration year to attach to my plate.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:15 PM   #22
CAG

What many fail to realize with tag fees is that in some states you pay less, but pay out the nose for personal property. In other states there is no personal property tax and your tag fees are higher. Either way you pay!

The other problem is states like Wyoming and Washington allow out of staters to register their vehicles in their states even though they do not by-law reside in that state thus cheating the home state out of taxes that go to maintain highways.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:34 PM   #23

A couple days ago I registered our new 5er, here in Montana, and the one time permanent fee was $181. Downside is that it gets cold here.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #24

Y'all are pretty lucky. We got our new Pinnacle in August. I was not sure what to expect, didn't look into tagging cost before we purchased. The bill was just over $1900.00. That will make your shorts pucker. To be fair that was for 4 months this year and all of next year, registration fee, etc. After I said WHAT, without hesitation he said it would be cheaper next year. I checked and to get my sticker for next year will be just over $1400.00. It only goes down from there. Gotta put a positive spin on it somehow
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
What many fail to realize with tag fees is that in some states you pay less, but pay out the nose for personal property. In other states there is no personal property tax and your tag fees are higher. Either way you pay!

The other problem is states like Wyoming and Washington allow out of staters to register their vehicles in their states even though they do not by-law reside in that state thus cheating the home state out of taxes that go to maintain highways.
Depends on where you live. I live close to Atlanta. All our taxes are high. My RV tag was over $800.00 and my property taxes were $7400.00 Can't wait for retirement so I can get away from here.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
So let me get this right, Americans need to pay a yearly fee to own a trailer?I've never heard of this before (Canadian). I always thought EVERYTHING was cheaper in the States?
Here all you need is a trailer plate which cost around $50 when you first purchase it. This plate is good for life and doesn't have a yearly fee. You now own this plate and it can be transferred to any other trailer you might own in the future.
Does this rule apply to any trailer or only RVs?
Ontario trailer registration from MTO website
Trailer: original registration $72 Trailer: replacement plate and permit $48
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #27

Varies state to state. Registration fees and excise taxes are not federal. Ours are based on our local tax rate and our little TT comes to about a hundred a year ( depreciated value) The sticker is one inch by one inch. No one much notices what year it is so we have had instances of uh oh I forgot for six months.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #28
Site Team

In Virginia permanent plates on the first registration which is 4% of actual price paid. SO one and done on registering. Where they get us is the dreaded personal property taxes each year. That's on all property such as RVs, boats, trucks, planes etc. It's about 450 a year on my TT. Reduces with depreciation.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #29

You all need to move to WISC! We pay a 1 time sales tax at time of registration based on what you claim you paid! Then an annual renewal fee of $15
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis b View Post
You all need to move to WISC! We pay a 1 time sales tax at time of registration based on what you claim you paid! Then an annual renewal fee of $15
If camper is financed and has a bathroom we can claim a deduction on annual taxes. Its considered a second home.

So for those that have to pay personal property tax on your trailer do you have to pay tax on everything you own? If so how is that inventoried?
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #31

Quote:
If camper is financed and has a bathroom we can claim a deduction on annual taxes. Its considered a second home.

So for those that have to pay personal property tax on your trailer do you have to pay tax on everything you own? If so how is that inventoried?
With the new tax laws you can claim second home deduction on motor homes only. It no longer applies to travel trailers or fifth wheels.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #32

The registration is based off MSRP, the fake price the manufacture says its worth, in Nevada. It will cost a lot to register that is all there is to it. You can pay three years at a time on a trailer if you want to spend more.

If you purchase it out of state you will pay sales tax also when you register it. Even if you paid a lower % sales tax where you purchased it out of state, Nevada will charge the extra sales tax at registration to get up to the Nevada rate.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by priv8pilot View Post
Yup the MSRP is crazy on the trailer I want. But does anyone really pay that price? Just another rip off. My problem Is I live in Nevada and have a job I will be at for another 8 to 10 years until I retire. My job includes driving and I need a local (Nevada) drivers license. So the trailer will be on private property until I retire then the traveling will begin. BUT I need to register it in case I need to move it for repairs or just to take a short trip somewhere in it. Going by MSRP it will be in the neighborhood of $1500. a year. Kinnda steep if I am only going to move it once or twice a year. I can't think of other options because of my drivers license having to stay local. Any ideas?

Steve
I wouldn't count on there being much of a trailer left after 8 to 10 years of full time use either. That is a ton of use for something that is made out of stickers and glorified cardboard as most rv's are.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #34

Quote:
About the same here in TN, after initial titling fee and sales tax annual tags are $35 or so.
bender88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:08 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post

I can't see many people wanting to register in wyoming 2018 eagle ht tags $980 this year. 2016 f250 $780. Montana on the other hand sign me up.
Shokyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #36

Here in New Brunswick Canada I pay $37.00 a year to register the trailer. That's it, nothing more.
Phil2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #37
CAG

My bad. I was thinking of Montana.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:18 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar57 View Post
Y'all are pretty lucky. We got our new Pinnacle in August. I was not sure what to expect, didn't look into tagging cost before we purchased. The bill was just over $1900.00. That will make your shorts pucker. To be fair that was for 4 months this year and all of next year, registration fee, etc. After I said WHAT, without hesitation he said it would be cheaper next year. I checked and to get my sticker for next year will be just over $1400.00. It only goes down from there. Gotta put a positive spin on it somehow
I take it by your location Radar57, you are a fellow Hoosier. My tags on our Pinnacle when we bought it in 2017 were over $1700.00. In 2020, the tags will finally drop below a $1000.00. Cost of the tags is something the dealer doesn't mention when they are making the sale. I think it is odd in a state that is known for manufacturing RV's there is a maximum value on luxury automobiles but no limits on RV's and they base it on the MSRP rather than the sales price on the sales deal. The only trade off I have seen is I have replacement value on my insurance and they also use the MSRP.

Keep the fires hot and beer cold!
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #39
DRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by priv8pilot View Post
Yup the MSRP is crazy on the trailer I want. But does anyone really pay that price? Just another rip off. My problem Is I live in Nevada and have a job I will be at for another 8 to 10 years until I retire. My job includes driving and I need a local (Nevada) drivers license. So the trailer will be on private property until I retire then the traveling will begin. BUT I need to register it in case I need to move it for repairs or just to take a short trip somewhere in it. Going by MSRP it will be in the neighborhood of $1500. a year. Kinnda steep if I am only going to move it once or twice a year. I can't think of other options because of my drivers license having to stay local. Any ideas?

Steve
As fellow Nevadan, I feel your pain. Our reg. fees are higher because we do not pay State Income Tax. They have to get money from somewhere. I purchased a new 5er earlier this year. Purchased in Utah then when I paid reg at DMV, I believe they based fees off of a NADA type service. It definately wasn't MRSP as I paid at least 35% less than that. The based fee was less than what I paid for the rig. Don't have paperwork with me to look at as 5er is in shop getting front cap painted and papers are with it.
You can cancel your reg. but then you have to turn in your plates. DMV won't refund fees but will give credit when you register again or reg. something else.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #40

The bad thing about Indiana is our registration is based on MSRP and we also have a state income tax! Double whammy!
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote