Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #1

Removing a tire when you have to.

Hello to all. I looking for some advice on which products to purchase. I want to be able to remove my wheels to change a tire or when needed to repack replace the wheel bearings. I have a 2016 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS fifth wheel.

So I was told that the Milwaukee 18 volt impact drill driver could get the lugs nut easily and the 18 volt will get the job done but at Home Depot it's $380 with one battery and a charger with a carrying bag.

I also was told a 12 Ton Bottle Jack from Harbor Fright to lift the axle a bit to remove the tire should be sufficient.

I just wondering what everyone here would recommend?

Please let me know your setup.

Thanks,

Mark
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:00 AM   #2

I carry (2) - 12 Ton Bottle Jacks and some assorted blocks of wood for cribbing for raising the trailer. As far as an impact goes The Milwaukee will definitely get it done but I just use a 1/2 inch breaker bar

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #3

When I had my 5th wheel, I would use a ramp and drive one of the tires (for each side) up on the ramp which allowed me to remove the other tire on that same side (you can lift one wheel from both sides at the same time if desired). I was able to do the bearing repacking and brake work without the need of a hydraulic jack. However I do have a hydraulic jack and agree that having one more capable (12 ton) than needed makes it easier to jack up your RV or TV. I also and primarily use a 1/2" breaker bar, be sure to slightly loosen the lug nuts prior to having the tire off of the ground as that will be easier.

To add to this, I would only use the ramp method during the times you can keep your truck attached, not only to get the 5er up on the ramp but also to set the parking brake for added security. If\when I didn't want to use my truck or have it tied up for a while, I would use the hydraulic jack along with safety jack stands. Don't try to jack it up from the middle of the axle, best to do it right where the leaf spring attaches, otherwise you could damage the axle.

~CA
Old 07-27-2021, 02:32 PM   #4

I guess I'm still old school...

Sure, a battery operated impact driver will work... till the battery is dead, or left out in the rain (ask how i know this) by accident, then what?

What's the method for re-torquing the lugs? Yes, they should be torqued properly.

An investment in a 1/2" Torque wrench should last you most of a lifetime. Yes, I own a digital one (couldn't find a strictly mechanical one with a 250ft-lb rating when I was shopping in the time I had. And yes, I have a spare battery for the display - just in case. This is a tool, and should be treated with care.

Lifting a wheel on an rv is very easy when attached to the tow vehicle while driving the adjacent tire up on blocks.... and this is my preferred method. But if you want to do the jack thing, a 12ton bottle jack is sufficient.... but still have some extra blocking and if lifting on bare earth or sandy soil, always use a larger pad of wood to set the jack on - you should do this with asphault too.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
I guess I'm still old school...

Sure, a battery operated impact driver will work... till the battery is dead, or left out in the rain (ask how i know this) by accident, then what?

What's the method for re-torquing the lugs? Yes, they should be torqued properly.

An investment in a 1/2" Torque wrench should last you most of a lifetime. Yes, I own a digital one (couldn't find a strictly mechanical one with a 250ft-lb rating when I was shopping in the time I had. And yes, I have a spare battery for the display - just in case. This is a tool, and should be treated with care.

Lifting a wheel on an rv is very easy when attached to the tow vehicle while driving the adjacent tire up on blocks.... and this is my preferred method. But if you want to do the jack thing, a 12ton bottle jack is sufficient.... but still have some extra blocking and if lifting on bare earth or sandy soil, always use a larger pad of wood to set the jack on - you should do this with asphault too.
White Ox thanks for the comments. I agree with the Torque Wrench and I will respect the cordless and keep it safe and dry whatever one I buy.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:55 AM   #6

White Ox x2
2022 RAM 3500 6.7L
Ruger, Rhodesian Ridgebacks
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:38 AM   #7

HF sells a loooong breaker bar (30” or so) which I use to loosen the lug nuts and then a 4-way to spin them off.
An Anderson Rapid Jack with some help from some cribbing to lift a tire.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post

So I was told that the Milwaukee 18 volt impact drill driver could get the lugs nut easily and the 18 volt will get the job done but at Home Depot it's $380 with one battery and a charger with a carrying bag.

I also was told a 12 Ton Bottle Jack from Harbor Fright to lift the axle a bit to remove the tire should be sufficient.

I just wondering what everyone here would recommend?

Please let me know your setup.

Thanks,

Mark

We just got home from a 10 day trip. At the RV park the guy parked next to us had a flat on his trailer and was using this Impact Wrench that he got from O'Reilly Auto Parts for only $130.00. I went right out and bought one when I saw how easy it took off his lug nuts. I also carry a couple of bottle jacks from Harbor Freight and some 2x6 blocks to set it on. I also carry a torque wrench and the appropriate sockets for my truck and trailer. Just hope I never need to use any of them.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...t+impact&pos=0

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:32 AM   #9

I prefer to carry as little as possible so I use a breaker bar, socket, and auto level. I know you are not supposed to use it that way, but it is capable and has done so before I ever considered using for said purpose, on unlevel sites. I am sure the comments are coming but again the usage level is so low and random I can't justify the weight and space of carrying a bottle jack.
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:11 AM   #10

I carry the breaker bar, torque wrench and use the level system to raise the wheels. With that said, if I was on an uneven shoulder of a road, I probably could not use the auto leveler enough to get a tire off, I probably need to get a bottle Jack also.

Just be careful how to lift those axels, those cheap axels bend easy, should have a piece of wood or something above the Jack to distribute the weight.

Anytime a wheel has come off for any reason I always check the torque on at least a couple nuts at the first couple of stops.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #11

Trailer jacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickledill View Post
I prefer to carry as little as possible so I use a breaker bar, socket, and auto level. I know you are not supposed to use it that way, but it is capable and has done so before I ever considered using for said purpose, on unlevel sites. I am sure the comments are coming but again the usage level is so low and random I can't justify the weight and space of carrying a bottle jack.

I was told by my dealer that auto level shouldn't be used to change a tire on my Pinnacle, but he couldn't give a good reason why not. I'm thinking it's a liability thing. If a hose, o-ring, seal etc gives way when elevated it would not be good.
But- I have auto leveled and it has lifted both tires off the ground doing so quite easily, no noticeable extra strain on motor. Plus it's evidently designed to stay elevated that way until it's time to move.
So, for a single tire change I will use auto level also. Anything else that requires both wheels to come off will need proper blocking and support.

BTW, X2 on the breaker bar. I do not want to depend on any battery powered tool!
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:41 AM   #12

And My battery powered drivers, which I have 4 kinds are not able to loosen my lug nuts when at properly torque specs.

They are convenient and fast to spin on and off the lug nuts in conjunction to using the breaker bar and torque wrench.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:02 PM   #13

I have a Dewalt impact driver that can take anything off but I'm careful putting them back on because I fear it stripping the stud.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:40 PM   #14

I use a Powerbuilt Safety Jack because it has a hard safety lock (to prevent failure). I have a Rigid Battery Operated Torque wrench. I also carry a 1/2" Torque wrench. On any long trip I check my lug nuts to assure property torque. Twice I have found lug nuts had loosened significantly. I use leveling blocks underneath the jack at all times as I have witnessed jacks sinking into the asphalt on hot days. I chose the torque wrench due to my age and also because if I ever need to change a tire on the side of the road, I want everything completed as fast as possible.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
I use a Powerbuilt Safety Jack because it has a hard safety lock (to prevent failure). I have a Rigid Battery Operated Torque wrench. I also carry a 1/2" Torque wrench. On any long trip I check my lug nuts to assure property torque. Twice I have found lug nuts had loosened significantly. I use leveling blocks underneath the jack at all times as I have witnessed jacks sinking into the asphalt on hot days. I chose the torque wrench due to my age and also because if I ever need to change a tire on the side of the road, I want everything completed as fast as possible.

X2
Old 07-30-2021, 07:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
HF sells a loooong breaker bar (30” or so) which I use to loosen the lug nuts and then a 4-way to spin them off.
An Anderson Rapid Jack with some help from some cribbing to lift a tire.
This. And a torque wrench for tightening.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:05 PM   #17

I just purchased the Bosch Profactor 18V impact wrench from Lowes for $245, there is a special going on that you get a 18V , 8 amp battery with heavy duty charger for free. This kit is normally $219. I use Bosch tools in my business. They are excellent. Not sure how long sale is for, it is good on-line or in the store. This impact wrench will do what you want and more.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-PROFA...ool/5001783307
Old 07-31-2021, 12:48 PM   #18

I also carry a Milwaukee M18 with charger and two 5.0 batteries. I also carry a breaker bar and 1/2" torque wrench. I carry sockets for truck and trailer. I have had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders and am 72 years old so I try to make things easy as possible. My truck lug nuts are torqued at 150 ft lbs. The Milwaukee is 1400 ft lbs off and 1000 ft lbs on at full strength. Obviously putting the nuts on I turn it down then use the torque wrench.

I also made a cradle for my bottle jack that fits perfectly around the axle and keeps the bottle jack from slipping off the axle and also helps distribute the load a bit. I place the jack right up against the u bolts for the leaf springs. I have a 5er and would not take both tires off the same side unless hooked to my truck. Don't want to put the strain on the landing gear. Wish I had auto leveling
Attached Thumbnails
bottle jack.jpg   Bottle jack 3.jpg   bottle jack 2.jpg  
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:26 PM   #19

For my little trailer a bottle jack and wood for cribbing work fine. For the lug nuts, RV and TV, I have sockets and a 1/2" breaker bar plus a ~18' pipe to fit over it for a little more power prn. Power tools in general are super, but I like to carry manual backup whenever possible or practical.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:43 PM   #20

I have a 20volt Porter-Cable 1/2 in impact & hydraulic levelors . I just get the tire , the one time flat, just barely off ground so not much heavy lifting.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote