Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2022, 05:44 AM   #1

Removing BMPRO on 37MDQS...

Count us in the camp of having a BMPRO that cycles power, and never gets off the boot screen.

I was going to take the tablet out, and I see the tabs to press to get it out, but on the 37MDQS, there is only about an 1" of clearance to get something in there.

I've tried my fingers (which I can barely get in there), but that doesn't seem to press them far enough to get the tablet off. What are others using to pry / push the tabs to get the panel off???
Old 11-30-2022, 06:02 PM   #2

For most tablets, simply grab the two bottom corners and pull directly away from the wall about a half inch then life up to detach from the top bracket.

Warning, if you decide to unplug the wire to take it off the wall - be sure to avoid letting the wire fall back inside the wall... it's a pain to fish it back out later.
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Sharon View Post
For most tablets, simply grab the two bottom corners and pull directly away from the wall about a half inch then life up to detach from the top bracket.

Warning, if you decide to unplug the wire to take it off the wall - be sure to avoid letting the wire fall back inside the wall... it's a pain to fish it back out later.
Thanks for this!!

I was FINALLY able to get my tablet off, BUT I really had to pull on it hard to get it off. It scared me when it came loose, LOL.

That was good advice on the cable. On ours, I was able to pull the cable out about 2', and then let dangle over the edge, and then closed the door on it, holding it there.

I'm currently charging the tablet with a an external high amp charger, but I don't really expect that to be successful. There is something else going on with these tablets...

UGH..

Thanks for you input!
cadman_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:23 PM   #4

have you tried the reset button on the tablet while plugged in to the external charger?

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
have you tried the reset button on the tablet while plugged in to the external charger?
No, I haven't tried that yet. I'll try that in the morning, after it's been on the 2A charger all night...
Old 12-02-2022, 06:31 AM   #6

An update on our tablet.

I left ours on the 2.4A charger, and after about 4 hours, the tablet had come back to life!! I was totally shocked, and did NOT expect that result, so I was pleasantly surprised.

While it wasn't difficult to get the tablet off, and take it apart to get it hooked up to the higher powered charger, it's probably one of those things that's not for everyone, especially someone who's afraid of electronics.

At any rate, the higher powered charger DID work for us, but it still required some patience. For those that it doesn't work for, I hope that warranty comes thru, or you're able to find a replacement tablet.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:55 PM   #7

That is good to hear! I am wondering was the trailer left with no power (solar or battery) for some time i.e. winter or other storage. Or did the tablet just die for some other reason?
Old 12-02-2022, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
That is good to hear! I am wondering was the trailer left with no power (solar or battery) for some time i.e. winter or other storage. Or did the tablet just die for some other reason?
My apologies, I didn't state how it became dead.

I put the unit away for the winter, and I was going to disconnect my batteries, and I forgot. There is still enough draw from things like the CO monitor, that it eventually killed my batteries.

We have a res fridge, and I didn't want it running empty all winter long, is that was the real reason I unplugged it. I ah e since figured out the sequence of key presses to keep the cooling unit off. It is now plugged back in, and should be fine now...
Old 12-02-2022, 03:08 PM   #9

Thanks for that update/info, I was wondering if there was something I needed to watch out for.. But dead batteries would totally do it!

Or trailer is stored off site and I leave most things off. I do however leave our internet, and solar and the BMPro Tablet etc on. Along with two Wyze cameras on the inside looking out. This allows me to monitor the batteries, temp and other things along with watching and recording people snooping around (which thankfully does not happen much). I see the batteries (400ah of lithium) going down 1% daily quickly recharged in the morning.

If anyone wonders, it is interesting that the passthrough actually stays a little warmer than the inside of the trailer. About 10deg to be exact. This is where our batteries and solar equipment stay and must generate just a little bit of heat. But doubt we will ever see our batteries ever get cold where the low temp will be of concern. Coldest it has been is 40deg when it was 15ish outside.
Old 12-02-2022, 04:29 PM   #10

Quote:

Or trailer is stored off site and I leave most things off. I do however leave our internet, and solar and the BMPro Tablet etc on. Along with two Wyze cameras on the inside looking out. This allows me to monitor the batteries, temp and other things along with watching and recording people snooping around (which thankfully does not happen much). I see the batteries (400ah of lithium) going down 1% daily quickly recharged in the morning.

That sounds alike you have a good setup there!

Ours actually sits completely inside our shed, so solar wouldn't really do us any good either, unfortunately...
Old 12-04-2022, 03:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman_ks View Post
An update on our tablet.

I left ours on the 2.4A charger, and after about 4 hours, the tablet had come back to life!! I was totally shocked, and did NOT expect that result, so I was pleasantly surprised.

While it wasn't difficult to get the tablet off, and take it apart to get it hooked up to the higher powered charger, it's probably one of those things that's not for everyone, especially someone who's afraid of electronics.

At any rate, the higher powered charger DID work for us, but it still required some patience. For those that it doesn't work for, I hope that warranty comes thru, or you're able to find a replacement tablet.
I commented on this very issue in another thread. BMPRO/Jayco has apparently modified the Android operating system software and/or the BMPro software to immediately try to start the BMPRO software after a dead battery scenario like you describe. The on/off switch is effectively disabled. If they enabled the on/off switch, the problem would go away, but it would create the problem of trying to access a reset button that either doesn't exist or can't be accessed due to the mounting location in the RV. The problem is (IMO) that trying to start the operating system then immediately starting the BMPRO software puts a very heavy CPU load on the battery. The battery is dead, so that's a problem. Also, and again IMO, the charging circuit that Jayco provides for the tablet is weak or what would be considered a "slow charging" circuit, which doesn't have the capacity to simultaneously charge a completely dead battery AND try to start the tablet during a heavy CPU usage cycle. So, you have a tablet trying to auto-start with inadequate power resources. Hooking into a 2 amp or greater charger will eventually overcome this vicious cycle, but it takes awhile.

FWIW, my tablet died and I used a higher capacity external charger similar to yours and was able to get my tablet working again. It lasted several months until one morning I woke up and the tablet screen was blank. Nothing I did made any difference. I took it into a dealer for warranty replacement and their first comment was "Another one? That's like the 3rd one this week". Apparently it's a known problem. I still don't have a factory replacement. I've been using a generic Android tablet from Walmart that I plugged into a USB port and placed on a table.
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmikal View Post

FWIW, my tablet died and I used a higher capacity external charger similar to yours and was able to get my tablet working again. It lasted several months until one morning I woke up and the tablet screen was blank. Nothing I did made any difference. I took it into a dealer for warranty replacement and their first comment was "Another one? That's like the 3rd one this week". Apparently it's a known problem. I still don't have a factory replacement. I've been using a generic Android tablet from Walmart that I plugged into a USB port and placed on a table.
Thanks for the reply!!

I think that your assessment is spot on!

Also, thanks for the idea on the cheap tablet. I misunderstood your post about the replacement. I was thinking that you had something that fit in the existing panel. That's ultimately what would be nice to find, so you wouldn't have to have one just laying around.

Still good to know, though, that this worked!

Thanks again!!
Old 12-04-2022, 03:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman_ks View Post
Thanks for the reply!!

I think that your assessment is spot on!

Also, thanks for the idea on the cheap tablet. I misunderstood your post about the replacement. I was thinking that you had something that fit in the existing panel. That's ultimately what would be nice to find, so you wouldn't have to have one just laying around.

Still good to know, though, that this worked!

Thanks again!!
Others have found a tablet that will fit the frame. I think they exist on Amazon. If you search this forum, someone probably provided a link with the exact tablet. For me, it didn't (or wouldn't) do any good because my tablet is theoretically under warranty and I had to give the dealer the entire unit, including the tablet, the outer frame, and the buttons that are located under the tablet in the frame. I already had the Walmart tablet laying unused in a drawer, so it became my new BMPRO tablet. The Walmart tablets are branded as ONN.

I said "theoretically" under warranty because technically it is under warranty, but Jayco has found a reason to deny my warranty claims on everything else that has broken in my RV up to this point or make the claim process more cumbersome than it was worth to submit the warranty claim. Most of the things that broke I just fixed myself
Old 12-04-2022, 03:44 PM   #14

@Cmikal, is it Jayco denying the warranty or is it the dealer?

I found and caught my dealer in a lie and learned that they didn't nor would they even submit the claim I had on the awning. When I directly contacted Jayco they tried discussing with the dealer but they still wouldn't do anything. Jayco in turn asked if I would want them to file a claim on my behalf to Lippert (awning mfg), I did. A couple emails, pictures etc later Lippert fully agreed to the covering the issue. Which the dealer then had to do for free. So far Jayco has done us right, however I do feel and know that may not be the case for everyone.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:30 PM   #15

Quote:
@Cmikal, is it Jayco denying the warranty or is it the dealer?

I found and caught my dealer in a lie and learned that they didn't nor would they even submit the claim I had on the awning. When I directly contacted Jayco they tried discussing with the dealer but they still wouldn't do anything. Jayco in turn asked if I would want them to file a claim on my behalf to Lippert (awning mfg), I did. A couple emails, pictures etc later Lippert fully agreed to the covering the issue. Which the dealer then had to do for free. So far Jayco has done us right, however I do feel and know that may not be the case for everyone.
For us, it's been an "all of the above" situation. Here are all the gory details.

We bought a North Point 5th wheel in October 2021 from our local dealer which unfortunately was 100 miles away, so dragging the trailer back to the dealer for anything but a very major repair didn't make financial sense. Also, we were leaving on a 1500 mile 6 month trip shortly after we purchased the RV.

The first issue was a non-working Norcold gas/electric fridge. I had zero experience with these prior to this one. When we did our walk-thru, I noticed that the fridge and freezer were both still warm. I was told it could take up to 24 hours for it to cool down. Terrific. They had only turned it on the morning we showed up to do the walk thru. It was still only barely cool by the time we left. The next day, it still wasn't cold. I called the dealer and was told to give it more time. I waited until a day or 2 after that. Still not cold. I called the dealer again and was told to "bring it back" and drop it off so they could put it on their schedule. I mentioned that I was leaving in about a week for a 1500 mile trip and would not return for 6 months. They said, "bring it in when you return". Right. No refrigerator for 6 months. Thank you for the help.

So, to solve the problem quickly, I found a company in Indiana that made their own replacement cooling units for Norcold refrigerators. I scheduled a replacement 4 days later. It cost me $2k, but my refrigerator works. Jayco will no longer provide a warranty for the fridge and refused to pay anything on my cost to fix it myself. I called Jayco directly. They refused. It wasn't the dealer that refused to pay. The dealer just refused to even look at it for 6 months.

So I left on my trip. Then all of these things broke while we were on the road:

---The toilet vacuum breaker broke twice. They were $20-ish dollar repairs each time.
---The drain pipe for the bathroom sink leaked. Bad glue joints. I went to Home Depot and bought new pipe and couplers and fixed it myself for under $50.
---There is a waste tank pressure relief valve located under the bathroom sink that stuck open so sewer gas was constantly leaking into the RV. It screws on and off. I replaced it myself for under $20.
---The back flow preventer valve that is in the hot water tank was causing low hot water flow because it was partially stuck. I removed it and didn't replace it. I don't know why it's there in the first place. Seems like a needless part IMO. It's probably a $10 part
---The shower pan leaked. Caulked it myself.
---The fireplace broke. I removed it and took it to a dealer that was close to where we were camping. They just happened to have one in the back room and gave it to me. They said someone had already paid for it and never came to pick it up. So they filed the paperwork on my bad unit (I watched them do it) and probably got paid twice for the same fireplace.
---The hot and cold water lines for the shower were reversed. I cut the lines myself and properly spliced them back together. The cost was under $50 because I had to buy the pex tool and some crimp lugs.
---Multiple window framing trim pieces have come loose. I reattached them myself at minimal/zero cost.
---The gasket around one of the frameless windows came unglued. I couldn't get it to seal properly again, so I had to go to Home Depot and buy window gasketing material to properly seal the window. The cost was under $20.
---One of the soft-close drawer slides broke. Cost to repair was around $20 or $25
---Some caulking around one of the corner trim pieces on the outside of the RV let go so that the trim piece pulled away from the RV. I re-caulked it myself. I already had a tube of caulk, so the immediate cost was zero, but probably $10 or $15 from when I originally purchased the tube.
---The foot-flush toilet arm started to constantly fall off. I bought a new base that included the arm for around $90 and replaced it myself.
---The USB ports in the recliner broke. Not fixed yet.
---My black tank and one of the grey tanks would not drain properly. I discovered that the factory installed the drain pipes with up-slope instead of down-slope. Unless I jacked up the front end of the trailer as far as the jacks would go, it was impossible to completely drain the tanks. I fixed it myself because Jayco would not send a field technician to fix it while I was camping, and I couldn't drop it off for several months while I was using the RV. That was a bit more expensive due to the cost of plastic pipe these days, but it was still cheaper than dropping it at an rv dealer and renting a motel room for 2 or 3 months.
---The door lock broke. The generic off-the-shelf replacement was around $45. The dealer where I bought the new lock told me to just mail the old one back to Jayco so I could get a keyed-alike replacement. When I called Jayco, they told me to take my RV to my dealer so they could "diagnose the problem". When I told Jayco the lock was already removed and I just needed to send it back, they said, go to a dealer so they could fill out the paperwork and (again) "diagnose the problem". The dealer would send the lock back to them and they would send the dealer the new lock. The dealer would then mail me the new lock (for a hefty shipping fee that probably equaled the cost of the lock). In this particular case, I think the dealer gave me bad advice so I would go away since I told him I would only be in the area for a few days. Regardless, the cost of shipping would have been roughly the same as just buying the lock, which is what I did.
---The BMPRO tablet died several weeks ago. I handed it over to a dealer where I am staying for awhile. I haven't heard back from them. I don't know what the outcome will be.

I think I'm forgetting one or 2 things, but the bottom line is/was everything except the refrigerator and fireplace required that I take my RV to a dealer or otherwise "allow a trained technician to diagnose the problem". For problems that I had already fixed and wanted reimbursed, I was told by Jayco (not the dealer) that "we do not reimburse for customer repairs". Period. End of story.

IMO, Jayco has set up the warranty process to make you go away rather than make happy customers. In every case, I kept the broken parts and receipts and told them I would send them the bad parts so they could see for themselves that I was not lying. They (Jayco corporate) refused.

All of this has happened within the span of one year since the purchase date. If I took my RV to the dealer for every single item that I mentioned, I would have spent twice as much in diesel vs the cost of parts and my RV would have been sitting in one or more dealer lots for the entirety of the year that I have owned it, and I would have been sitting at home pissed off because I was making payments on a trailer I could not use.

Jayco wants to sell RV's. They don't want to hear from you again after they make the sale.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmikal View Post
For us, it's been an "all of the above" situation. Here are all the gory details.

Jayco wants to sell RV's. They don't want to hear from you again after they make the sale.
DANG!! That's a list now!!

That would suck for sure having all of those issues. Knock on wood, we have only had about 5 things, and they are minor in comparison. The biggest one we would have had so far would have been this tablet thing, which is now it an issue, at the moment...
Old 12-05-2022, 07:35 AM   #17

Holy cow, that is some list!

Thankfully we have not had any crazy issues other than a broken awning and some cabinet doors. I do have a piece of molding on the outside that might be coming up but I have sealed it up already. Watching to see if I need to screw it down. Other than some screws that have fallen out and having to tighten plumbing joints that is it...

Sounds like the fridge, black/grey tanks and maybe the toilet are the biggest main issues for you. I am wondering, if you were paying the 2k for the fridge work why didn't you just go 12v and call it done? We have a gas/electric fridge as well and have learned that here in AZ in the summer it just kind of works. When we can we are switching to a 12v one.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:15 AM   #18

Bmpro

Hi took the tablet out charging with a 3 v as suggested. Tablet came on a few times then goes dead. It has been charging for 2 days now. Should I change the battery or just buy a new quad core 7*in tablet for $46 on Amazon? Or should I keep charging the old one.thanks
Florida2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:24 AM   #19

Bmpro

Hi took the tablet out charging with a 3 v as suggested. Tablet came on a few times then goes dead. It has been charging for 2 days now. Should I change the battery or just buy a new quad core 7*in tablet for $46 on Amazon? Or should I keep charging the old one.thanks
Florida2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2022 View Post
Unfortunately, it sounds like you may ha e one that is toast.

If you could find a tablet that was the same size, that may be your best way to go, if you're out of warranty.

Sorry, but I can't offer any advice on a tablet to get that would do the trick.

Good luck, and I hope you get it resolved...