Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2019, 08:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by villui View Post
Is there a ride/tow difference with the gooseneck hitch compared to the regular 5er hitch?
Can't comment on the tow difference, but I have an Andersen Ultimate hitch rated to 20K. It tows great and only weighs 45 lbs. for easy removal. Check it out.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #22

I have an electric winch mounted to a bar attached to six trusses in my garage. Back my Dodge 2500 under winch, hook up lifting strap to hitch, lift hitch out of truck, pull truck out of garage, drop hitch on furniture dollie, roll in corner out of way and put truck in garage. DONE For about 250.00. Got the winch from harbor freight, has a 400lbs rating.
33ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:39 AM   #23

Happen to take the hitch out of my truck last night here's a picture of my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
20190917_161013.jpg  
33ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhogusa View Post
I am too short to lift up my 5th wheel hitch into my RAM 2500. Does anyone who is short have any techniques to get their hitch in and out of their truck without killing your back? One person job usually for me. Thanks.

Harbor freight has a truck bed crane that sits under the bedrail and out of the way. With a coupon you can get it for $79.
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhogusa View Post
I am too short to lift up my 5th wheel hitch into my RAM 2500. Does anyone who is short have any techniques to get their hitch in and out of their truck without killing your back? One person job usually for me. Thanks.
Just leave it connected to the FW and pull the pins, let the trailer Jack lift it.
Jeeper90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by villui View Post
Is there a ride/tow difference with the gooseneck hitch compared to the regular 5er hitch?
I've seen people use the Gooseneck hitch, but have also read that
you run a real chance of cracking your front 5th wheel trailers frame.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #27

Anderson

Simple , Anderson aluminum- 40 lbs , 2 minutes to remove and hang on the wall .

2020 Jayco 319MLOK and RAM 3500 limited
Torment123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:17 PM   #28

I had the same issue when I had the B&W Companion Slider hitch. Way heavy to manhandle in and out. With no lift it was a workout and it takes a bit of room to store, I changed out trailer’s pin box to the Reese Goosebox. Fantastic hitch as far as I am concerned. Also with the Goosebox, there is no frame manufacturer issues with warranty unlike a gooseneck adapter.
TrailRunner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #29

Harbor Frieght 440 lb hoist

I purchased a 440 lb hoist from Harbor Freight for $99. I mounted it to my garage ceiling with a length of unistrut to expand 3 ceiling joist. I back truck under the hoist and lift the hitch using 2 lifting straps also purchased from Harbor Freight. My hitch is the Pullrite Super Glide which is heavier than the standard hitch. I lower the hitch onto a floor dolly also purchased from Harbor Freight and roll it to the corner 3the garage for storage.
tfford53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:06 PM   #30

Consider a Reese Goose Box. Eliminate the hitch and get the use of your truck bed back.
PeterDeMent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #31

We use a hand cart...put hitch on it (with cart laying down) then use ramps from the ground to the back of the truck to roll it on to the bed of the truck...so the only lifting is a foot or so to the hand cart and about a foot off the hand cart to the truck bed. Easy and cheap...ramps are a 2x12 board with metal ramp rest added...use 2 side by side. Even with my husband's bad back it works.
W Kearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #32

Hitch Removal

I have a BW Companion 20K hitch and it is too heavy for me to remove so I bought a 1 ton chain hoist to do the job. I put two vertical 2X4's from the rafters and two 2X4's horizontal on the rafters in the garage. I just back in under it and hoist it out. It hangs over our car until needed again. I got the hoist at a local auto parts store for about $69.00 but it is a back saver.
Amazon has one for $44.15
https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Chain-B...s%2C235&sr=8-5
2018 GMC Sierra Denalli 4WD 1T CC Dually Duramax/Allison Nav Sys,-Sun Roof-On Star-XM Radio
serfas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfas01 View Post
I have a BW Companion 20K hitch and it is too heavy for me to remove so I bought a 1 ton chain hoist to do the job. I put two vertical 2X4's from the rafters and two 2X4's horizontal on the rafters in the garage. I just back in under it and hoist it out. It hangs over our car until needed again. I got the hoist at a local auto parts store for about $69.00 but it is a back saver.
Amazon has one for $44.15
https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Chain-B...s%2C235&sr=8-5
One ton is overkill for a hitch, but you can use it for other things also. I would think they don't come less then one ton. Very convenient!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #34

I pull the B&W slider out with a tractor fork lift. Sucks!
I have the Anderson also and I'm going to trade the truck for a dually and just use the Anderson hitch.

I do like backing in to the B&W hitch because you KNOW you're hitched. But the Anderson has tho many other positives that are hard to ignore.
I've even stored the Anderson in the 5er basement! Try that with a regular hitch! Lol.
James Speer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:19 PM   #35

Anderson Fiver Hitch

Sir. I totally empathize with your plight re:excessive weights of hitches, sliders, what have you. You do not need any of that overloaded steel to haul your fiver. Investigate the 35 lb Andersen fiver Hitch. No, I am not a salesman or anyone affiliiated with Andersen. Ours came with our 2017 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS and I absolutely love it. Do your back a favor. Ditch the steel and check out the Andersen Hitch. It works in my short bed F-150 and I would swap it for anything on the market.
Roy Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:01 PM   #36

Thosr of you using a winch keep in mind a winch is used for pulling a rolling load. A hoist is used for lifting dead weight. They use different braking systems. Dont trust a winch to support dead weight hanging from the ceiling.
You can buy a 120 volt electric hoist sometimes cheaper than a winch and it's made for lifting.

Google the difference to find out about the motor brake.
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:06 AM   #37

I envy those whose hitch weight 35 lbs or so but this is what I do and am okay with it, if I had to do over again I would get one but I can't justify going from something that works to getting another hitch.

Oh I had to modify my bar a little shorter so it want fall over but I have it dial in now and I don't have this hitch I have another one that have the puck with is lighter so after I get in the bed I can get up in my bed and move it around.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2576.jpg   DSCN2577.jpg  
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:52 AM   #38

Anderson hitch

This is the only hitch we have ever used just because of that reason. Love it and is so easy to take in and out while at camp to transport firewood etc. When we picked up the trailer the dealer said that their delivery transporter uses this. Glad we went this route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryg View Post
While I am not short my B&W is still a bear to get in and out. Awkward and heavy. While I can get it done in another few years I may not be able. Aside from the engine hoist idea which I do not have the room to store another piece of equipment in my garage and putting it in the shed would be as bad or worse than muscling out the hitch. A thought I have had is a block and tackle setup or a cheap winch attached to the garage ceiling joists/rafters/trusses (with appropriate framing etc).

The above or switching to an Anderson Ultimate hitch. I like what I see about them, well the weight of it anyway just not totally sure I want to go that route. Though it would solve my other problem as well of having to carry my hitch about 100' to the shed where it lives when not in the truck. Cant use a cart due to the ground and landscaping between driveway and shed. I cant leave my hitch in the truck all season as I use the truck for other truck stuff so for me it isn't a in the spring out in the fall type thing it goes in and out multiple times a season.
Mamacast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #39

Could you leave hitch attached to the 5th wheel trailer. And when you Back up to truck just release hitch then just move it to were you want it ?
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #40

I leave my hitch attached to the trailer, use the trailer jacks to disconnect it from the bed of my truck, drive away with the hitch still attached to the trailer. I then use straps to help hold the hitch onto the mor 5th wheel pin. Level the rig and reattach the hitch onto the bed of the truck by raising the front end of the RV

ARMYG is offline   Reply With Quote