Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2022, 03:07 PM   #21
Site Team

When I had a conventional Reese fifth wheel hitch in my last truck, It was never removed until the truck was sold. On my newer truck I purchased a Anderson Ultimate and though easy and light, in 2 years I have had no reason to remove it so there are reasons other than weight that sell a hitch.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:08 PM   #22

I have the same hitch but I put an electric hoist in the ceiling of my garage. I have straps and it lifts out and I put it on a couple of moving dolly's. I also made a system with 2x2 and lift the cap on and off. Nothing beats having something that does the lifting.
FISCALMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:13 PM   #23

Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Sharon View Post
I'm 70 years young but my back is from a very old man. Since I installed my hitch, I've not been able to use the bed of my truck because I can't lift it in or out. It's over 200 pounds.
Today I picked up a used Harbor Freight 1ton engine hoist off Facebook Marketplace for $60. Although it wouldn't reach all the way, I'm able to slide the hitch back in the bed so the hitch can grab it... woohoo!
I'm so happy I took a couple photos to show ya'll
I picked up a 5th Wheel Hitch Lifting Bracket off amazon too.

Save yourself some trouble and go buy an Anderson Ultimate Hitch. They're heavy duty aluminum and weigh about 50#. My wife could take ours in/out if she wanted. Supports upwards of 24,000# - more than enough for your rig. Good Luck

https://andersenhitches.com/product/...te-connection/
Old 06-29-2022, 12:53 PM   #24

Quote:
I'm 70 years young but my back is from a very old man. Since I installed my hitch, I've not been able to use the bed of my truck because I can't lift it in or out. It's over 200 pounds.
Today I picked up a used Harbor Freight 1ton engine hoist off Facebook Marketplace for $60. Although it wouldn't reach all the way, I'm able to slide the hitch back in the bed so the hitch can grab it... woohoo!
Had the same issue with the Demco Auto slide hitch as well. I used and engine hoist as well, was able to slide the leg extension out almost all the way and had to roll truck onto a 2" board to lift it high enough for the legs to clear the trucks shock mounts. worked well enough but didn't solve our problem while traveling.
I have spoken directly with Jayco warranty department as well as with Mor-ride about the Andersen Hitch. Jayco had NO issues with it tell me it was a Mor-Ryde pin box as installed. Mor-Ryde suggested installing the Pin Plate used for the extension, but was not required. Also no warranty issues.
We tow a 32RLTS weighing in at the 15500 lbs. sometime down some pretty rough backroads and desert roads (Dirt / Gravel) with no issues
The Andersen Hitch is rated for 24,000lbs. with a pin weight of 4500lbs and entire hitch weighs lbs. and only requires a 15/16 wrench or socket to install and remove.
I know that some one is going tell you that using an Andersen Hitch voids the warranty, they're not telling you the whole story correctly. Call Jayc and Mor-Ryde yourself. We have and I am glad I did. By the way anyone interested in a like Demco Autoslide hitch? I have to sell.
Rick Finke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:02 PM   #25

Anderson Hitch

I have an Anderson hitch. It’s aluminum and light weight. Take it out when not needed. I do have a hideaball gooseneck hitch in my truck though. The ball is upside down when not needed to pull a trailer. The Anderson hitch just fits over the ball and tighten 3 bolts. Very simple and easy.
Holy Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:29 PM   #26

I also have that same hitch. Love it. I merely leave it attached to the fifth wheel, detach the cotter pins, and raise the fifth wheel. Then pull the truck out of the way and lower the fifth wheel until the hitch rests on a pair if metal, adjustable height, saw horses from Home Depot. Then do the reverse when ready to use the fifth wheel again.
have fun and be safe!
2016 GMC 3500HD SRW Diesel
smt0954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:46 PM   #27

Heavy hitch

Get an Anderson hitch. Under 40 lbs. easy on/off
Kenco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 03:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Maybe this will help?

https://youtube.com/shorts/SWUL8wbtYWM?feature=share
Fork in the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:56 PM   #29

I have the MorRyde cushioned pin box also with 25.5 REOK, I had a gooseneck hitch already so I bought an Anderson Ultimate hitch and took with me to the lot when we bought the trailer, installed the hitch in about 15 minutes and have pulled a couple of thousand miles since last April with no problems. If I need my bed space it is only about a two minute task to completed remove the hitch from the truck and it only weighs about 30 pounds. This was a far better option for me than swapping pin boxes due to weight and also access to the pin box mounting bolts which are up agains the bottom of the trailer and would be VERY difficult to remove on mine and I have done truck/farm/auto mechanic work for the last 40 years. Just my 2 cents.
US2campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:57 PM   #30

Regarding the purchase of your Harbor Freight engine hoist, my mom always had words of wisdom. "Use your head not your back". It served me well.
Randy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:39 PM   #31

Wink

Quote:
From your pics it appears you may have a Pullrite slider. When I had my 2015 2500HD Chevy SB, I had a Demco auto-slider that was heavier than all get out. In the same neighborhood as yours probably (200# +). I bought a receiver hitch mounted crane to assist this 75 yr old (at the time) in removing the hitch from the bed of the truck as it wasn't easy to break down to smaller weights. I used the same Demco lifting bracket you show.

Had to twist the DW's arm to operate the hoist cylinder (pump handle to raise the hoist and open the valve to lower the hoist) each time I wanted to removed/installed the Demco hitch, while I guided the hitch around onto the the dolly for storage or onto the tailgate for installing (crane wouldn't swing hitch much further though I was thinking of modifying it to do so). Being it was so heavy it was also hard to man-handle it from/to the pucks to/from the crane. Then there was the difficulty in getting the hitch itself out/into the puck system because of it's sheer weight. It also was a pain to have to drag out the hoist in pcs, attach it to the truck receiver and once done to take it apart and store it out of the way.

Don't get me wrong, getting the crane was one of the best things I did to enable getting the Demco slider hitch in/out of the truck.

When I bought my new 2021 3500HD LB Dually, I left the Demco hitch in the old truck that I traded in on for the new one (it wasn't going to fit the newer truck's puck system and we no longer needed a slider). I searched the internet for a new 5th wheel hitch and settled on a Curt A25. Pulling one major pin (don't count the locking pin that keeps the major pin from falling out), I can easily remove/install the hitch with no help by separating the hitch into two pieces by removing the head. (Now at 77, give me 10 years and let's see if it is still as easy. )

Total weight of the Curt A25 hitch is around 127#. Don't know for certain what each of the two parts weigh when separated, but I would guesstimate the head around maybe 50-60#'s while the main bracket around 66-75#'s. Someday I will take the time to weigh them.

Be safe -
Old 06-30-2022, 11:40 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Some just pull the pins and leave it attached to the ball and the 5th wheel. Back under it, position as necessary and reattach.

My solution was and Andersen hitch with weight about 35 lbs and worked fine for the 40' toy hauler.
This is the easiest way. Leave attached to kingpin and detach from truck
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:43 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork in the road View Post
X2
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:27 PM   #34

I bought one of these
https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-7023...83155946&psc=1

It breaks down into several pieces, each one lighter than my hitch. It’s a B&W so it breaks down into 2 pieces but I find the crane (5 pieces) more convenient. I have also used it to load other stuff (genny, compressor, tire/wheels, power washer). My neighbor has also used it. I tried my engine lift but found it not as convenient.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I bought one of these
https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-7023...83155946&psc=1

It breaks down into several pieces, each one lighter than my hitch. It’s a B&W so it breaks down into 2 pieces but I find the crane (5 pieces) more convenient. I have also used it to load other stuff (genny, compressor, tire/wheels, power washer). My neighbor has also used it. I tried my engine lift but found it not as convenient.
This is the exact same hoist I bought for removing/installing my old Demco hitch into my old truck. I was surprised in the video that they stated it was a one person job. From what I remember (give me a break it's been a 1 1/2 yrs) the documentation said for safety reasons two people were needed to operate the crane. I found when removing/installing the hitch it was better to have two. One to guide/control the load and one to operate the crane.
Plus it is nice and reassuring that if you fall under the load someone will be there to call 911 .

Be safe -
Old 07-01-2022, 01:07 PM   #36

So it takes maybe 61 seconds to flip the B&W ball and have a flat unobstructed bed. Hitching up the gooseball and unhitching is less time than hooking up a toad. It might be slightly longer to hookup than a pin 5th wheel due to having to line up the side position.
Attached Thumbnails
ball in.jpg   ball out.jpg  
GaryNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:43 PM   #37

Does anyone here know how to do Telekinesis? I tried to learn how to do that with my previous RV (5th wheel), but ended up getting a Class C.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:33 PM   #38

Sorry Reese Goosebox on the RV with the B&W
GaryNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:33 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by esacnj View Post
I have what Kahoneys has from Harbor Freight. I put 2 eye bolts into the header above my garage door and hang hoist from them. I back the truck into the garage door opening, lift the hitch and pull the truck out from under it. I lower the hitch onto a dolly and can roll it around. I do the reverse to put it back in the bed.
Do you have a photo of your setup for hanging the hoist from the garage door header?

Thanks
Trout Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:41 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Hunter View Post
Do you have a photo of your setup for hanging the hoist from the garage door header?

Thanks
this is the set yup i used when i had my 250Lb Demco Auto slide. I used a 4 pin trailer quick connect connector for the remote control. All Harbor freight parts..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2259.jpg   IMG_2260.jpg  
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote