Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
taviking22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 266
Removing the Hub Cap's Hub Cover

I have the new 5W in my sig. I thought I'd give the EZ lube hubs some squirts of grease. However, I am a bit baffled by how to get the center hub covers off of the hub cap.

There is a slot (see image below) that it would appear to receive a screwdriver for prying the center cover off. However, when I attempt to do so, the hub cover seems like it will dent from the prying or twisting action.

I'd appreciate any info on how to remove this outer hub cover without damaging the hub cap.

Thank you for your expertise!!

__________________

__________________
taviking22

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Seann45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Saskatoon Sask Canada
Posts: 9,701
Yep that is how you get them off... use a blade that is as large as the slot, once you get it out a little then you can move the blade around the opening.
__________________

__________________
Seann
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
175 days boondocking in 2017
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 428
Greasing hubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by taviking22 View Post
I have the new 5W in my sig. I thought I'd give the EZ lube hubs some squirts of grease. However, I am a bit baffled by how to get the center hub covers off of the hub cap.

There is a slot (see image below) that it would appear to receive a screwdriver for prying the center cover off. However, when I attempt to do so, the hub cover seems like it will dent from the prying or twisting action.

I'd appreciate any info on how to remove this outer hub cover without damaging the hub cap.

Thank you for your expertise!!

Be sure to read the instructions before lubing the hubs! Overfilling and/or too much pressure can blow the seals, resulting in grease on the brake shoes and loss of braking power- Don't ask how I know- JHMO- DD
__________________
Fulltiming since July 1, 1999 currently with a 2005 GMC Sierra 3500 cc drw towing a 2007 Jayco Eagle 341RLQS
Diesel Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
3'senough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 2,072
What I do is put a paint stick behind the screwdriver and push the handle towards the tire. This helps with scratching and leverage which dispersing the pressure. They are pretty flimsy.

Use the largest screwdriver you have. Be very gentle on the greese input and rotate as you pump in as instructed.
__________________

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arizona in Winter, Nevada in Summer
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Donnie View Post
Be sure to read the instructions before lubing the hubs! Overfilling and/or too much pressure can blow the seals, resulting in grease on the brake shoes and loss of braking power- Don't ask how I know- JHMO- DD
on my 2007 Designer the manual Dexter axles I believe, States to pump in grease until the old grease is forced out front of the hub around the grease zerk and the new grease shows. It says that the seal at the inner side of the hub prevents the grease from coming out the rear of the hub and getting on the brake shoes. It also states that the grease will come out around where the rubber cap is and can be wiped away.
M H
__________________
2007 Jayco Designer 31RLTS
2007 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty CC
2WD 6.0 Power Stroke Turbo Diesel
http://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
taviking22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
What I do is put a paint stick behind the screwdriver and push the handle towards the tire. This helps with scratching and leverage which dispersing the pressure. They are pretty flimsy.
Your cap removal method worked using a wood shim. Once I got the hub cap to give a little, I used the screwdriver to work my way around the cap, and it finally popped off. All four of the caps were on super tight. I can't imagine what a vendor would charge if you broke these plastic hub caps!

This is the third Jayco product with EZ lub hubs I've had, but have never encountered hub caps exactly like these. Whew!!

Thanks all for your input!!
__________________

__________________
taviking22

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.