Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2022, 08:17 PM   #1

Replace Morryde step above stairs with Torklift

Hi all,

I have a 2021 28.5RSTS with the Morryde steps that fold into the trailer. When my trailer is in storage, I don't have enough room to fold the steps down and its impossible to get into the trailer. Has anyone replaced these steps with exterior folding steps such as the torklift glow step?

Thanks!
Spencer.j.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:34 PM   #2

We did this on our Pinnacle we just picked up last weekend. For the same reason. There would be no way for us to ever access our trailer in storage. We haven't used the Torklift much - only played with them a bit at the dealership - then in front of our house - then once we got to storage but I don't foresee any issues. They seem solid.
vpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:09 AM   #3

I'd swap my step above steps out in a second if the DW would agree. Only positive to me is the mor ryde steps are sturdy.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:15 AM   #4

Seems like this just came up a month or so ago so it is a repeat, but at my age that is totally acceptable. I'm hoping I'm reading your post correctly and if I am we had the same issue with our Pinnacle, not enough room to lower the steps when parked in our rv garage. I replaced ours with the Torklift Uprising which fold up inside like the MorRyde steps but because they articulate they work in a tight space.

From what you said I am assuming you want something that mounts on the outside, like used to be the norm before MorRyde convinced the manufacturers that they had a better idea. I'm not sure what would work for you unless your model still has the well underneath your door to accommodate the old style steps. My Pinnacle does and I considered it. It would require cutting the sheet metal that covers the hole. I just didn't want to do that but it may be an option for you. Here's mine, it has 5 steps but can be deployed using 4 if the space is really tight.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_0382 (2).jpg   thumbnail_IMG_0384 (2).jpg   thumbnail_IMG_0381 (2).jpg  
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:46 PM   #5

Lots of pivot points. Im thinking not the best choice for full timers.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:42 AM   #6

I swapped mine on on my Northpoint. Afte i bought it in 2018 we were in Tennessee and our campsite did not work with the MORyde steps. I posted on RV.net and a Rep sent me a reply and wanted to know if i would be willing to try the Torklift steps at no cost. I agreed and installed them. Flexibility of position was tremendous. They just weren’t as sturdy. After several months they modified them and sent me a set of new ones. That set was better. I since traded the Northpoint off.
Toolguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:57 AM   #7

May be a lot of pivot points but they are very sturdy. We are not full timers but I would not be afraid to have them if we were. If you need steps that will work in tight spaces there are not many options, at least there wasn't when we got ours a couple of years ago. If you think about it until the solid steps that fold up inside the door were introduced all we had were unsupported articulated steps that folded up inside the hole under the door. All of our previous rv's had them and I never gave it much thought. Lots of them still in use.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:06 AM   #8

I was looking into a set then ran into somone last suer that had them and went back to the Moryde. He has a Golden Lab and said she could not maneuver the narrow steps and was concerned of injury. We have a English Retriever and he has no problems with our Moryde steps.. So i got the quick disconnects for my Morydes in event i get into a tight space. Haven't used them yet. Just one more thing i pay attention to when parking the traiiler.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morryde, steps, torklift