Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #1

Request Input from Pinnacle and Eagle Premier Owners

I posted an earlier question about normal wear and tear, and you all were great with helping me out!

Well today we went to our local dealer and looked at the Pinnacle to perhaps replace our Bighorn. The dealer really pushed the 2015 Bighorn. Since we already own a 2014, we pretty much know what is great and what isn’t.

I am hoping you forum folks will help me out again. If you have a Pinnacle (or Eagle Premier), please let me know the things you like about it as well as the things that you wish were done a little differently. Have you had any issues with it?

Thanks much.
Mantygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #2

Beyond the layout and 2 year warranty, We liked the ducted quieter AC and lower pin weight on the Premier.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #3

We're Premier owners. Upgraded about 15 mo ago from a hybrid (also a Jayco). We love our 5th! Just got it back from the dealer, front cap paint and a few little items. No complaints at all. It's been very reliable with the exception of a slider not retracting (motor wouldn't run). I wrenched it in and we went home. Next day it worked fine and hasn't given us any troubles since. The hybrid had a stereo prob early on, Jayco sent the replacement to me which I installed, they paid to ship the old one back.
Our floor plan is just what we wanted and we couldn't be happier with it. 2yr warranty helps too but except the cap, nothing much.
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #4

We have been happy with our Premier,just a few minor problems and Jayco took care of those.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #5

We bought our because we previously owned a jayco and had very little problems. The premier had the head room in the master and the only lay out we liked. Plus we found a Canadian build that had double pain windows.
bluesquiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:36 PM   #6

For my Pinnacle I wish they would make the water filter more accessible. You have to remove a panel held by 2 screws in the basement storage area to get to it. And the location of the water filter makes it hard to unscrew the canister to replace the filter.

Also we just got our Pinnacle this year and I'm still trying to figure out how to turn on all the lights. They could have done a better job labeling the switches in the panel box. Overall though we are very happy with everything.
jayfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:03 PM   #7

You have to remove a panel held by 2 screws in the basement storage area to get to it.

Why not leave that panel off full time. Don't trash it, just remove and set it aside.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #8

We came from a first river product and several Winnebago's. As mentioned before the water filter could be better placed. Also I much preferred the direct fresh water fill valve on the Winnebagos. With the 2 valve system on the premier the fill time is longer. It does make filling the tank from a bucket possible though.

I'm most frustrated with the light switches. The lights in the main living/kitchen area are in the panel and not on the wall. The entry lights are low on the wall ahead of the door. It's there so you can reach it from the ground. However, the camper is so tall that I am always on the step to reach the door handle. At that point I have to bend over to reach it and a higher location would be better. Also, because it's ahead of the door I have to open it all the way. It would be better on the other side. I'm planning to mod this later this year. The other switches in the bedroom are on top of the slide controls. My kids and I are always hitting the wrong button.

Otherwise the layout is much better than any other 5th wheel we looked at and the 2 year warranty sold us. I also looked at the components that Jayco uses in these 2 lines and think they are much better brands than a lot of the others at the price point we paid. The only other thing I would have liked to have had was 17.5 wheels and tires for the weight. I have now fixed that with Goodyear G614s.
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
You have to remove a panel held by 2 screws in the basement storage area to get to it.

Why not leave that panel off full time. Don't trash it, just remove and set it aside.
Yes on having to remove panel to gain access. Agree probably a good idea to remove or rig it up with a latch or something.
jayfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #10

Most of this sounds more like personal preference instead of actual problems. Maybe I misunderstood the OP question.
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:14 AM   #11

We have a Premier 361REQS. We like the layout and the full size shower. The furnace and heat pump are quiet. We have found it very comfortable to live in for extended periods. I find it easier and more stable to tow in high winds and rough roads than our previous 5th wheel even though it is six feet longer and 2500 lbs heavier. We did not think much of the fireplace when we were looking at RV's but have found it a very nice warm addition.

The light switch locations could be better. It takes some time to find them all. We had a bad microwave/convection oven. The dealer wanted to just replace it but Frigidaire made us get it repaired. They repaired it on site but it was out service for three weeks. We had a list of about ten items that needed repair/replacement but nothing serious except the front cap is being repainted due to fading. We had a few water leaks due to fittings not being tight enough.

My wife misses a pull out pantry and the pull out trash can we had on our previous Montana. We have found we have plenty of storage and are quite happy with the unit.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post

Yes on having to remove panel to gain access. Agree probably a good idea to remove or rig it up with a latch or something.

Leaving this panel off stops the heat vent from keeping the water lines from freezing when you camp in the cold.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #13

I have changed to Velcro to hold the access panels on, works better then
fumbleing with screws .
bankedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #14

Rather than velcro, I went with the mirror hangers that have the lips. Put two on the top and two on the bottom and it's much easier to get into the area than having to take out the screws.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #15

We have a 351 RSTS and ditto on the water filter comment. We have been happy overall and like the layout. I think we would have preferred a Pinnacle but the Pinnacle did not offer the floor plan we have.

My wife is anxious to see what floor plans the new Designers will come out with.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:39 AM   #16

On my Premier, I moved the water filter from the storage area and behind the panel to under the kitchen sink. Any water that goes in the fresh water holding tank is filtered, so if we need drinking water, we just use the kitchen sink. Much easier to access and change the filter and I don't have to empty the storage area to access a panel.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #17

My biggest complaint with my 2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS is the front landing gear jack. The single motor electric landing gear from Atwood is completely inadequate for this trailer. It's been to the dealer several times. Virtually everything in the system has been replaced: the motor, the gearbox, both landing gear legs. It's no better now than when I first got the trailer. It's simply not enough jack for weight of this trailer.

As soon as my warranty runs out this September, I will scrap this jack and replace with twin motor jacks from either Bulldog or Ultrafab.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #18

This is my second Jayco Eagle 5th. First was just an eagle and only 3-4 minor warranty issues. All resolved timely and without loss of use. Second unit is a Eagle Premier. Finish and construction very good as was with the previous unit. I did have a few more warranty issues pertaining to the slides and landing gear, but have been resolved and corrected.

Are there things I would change, sure. Unless you design it yourself there are always going to be things you scratch your head about. Is that a deal breaker for me, no. The overall design and layout works nicely for me and met all my must haves.

pluses: 2 year warranty ++. Jayco went above and beyond on last trailer even outside 2yrs. All the added non al a carte items a value with Jayco when you build out similar competitors products. Options were resonable and desired.

negatives: no options on tires, but that is with 90% of them out there and fixable.

Look at construction to truly compare, as that is where you could suffer overall.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote