Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #21

This was my post in the other res. fridge thread:

I just wanted to share what my experience has been with the res. fridge with two 12v batteries. I keep a battery tender on the batteries while in storage. I brought the 377 home and plugged into 110v at the house. Turned on Fridge to cool off and loaded it up the night before we left. I drove 9 hours the 1st day with the inverter on to our stop over. I checked the battery level just before plugging in at it showed to be 2/3. I plugged in at our stopover, so I'm sure the batteries charged somewhat. On day 2, I drove for 4 hours before arriving at our destination. Upon arrival, the battery meter showed 2/3.

That was my experience this past summer with our longest trip. Just my 2 cents. We love it so far.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #22

We have 2016 Eagle with the double door RV frig.Never have to worry about being plugged in.If you decide on residential frig an on board generator would be nice.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
On day 2, I drove for 4 hours before arriving at our destination. Upon arrival, the battery meter showed 2/3.
If I may ask, what was the battery voltage down to before the 4 hour trip. The battery meters that are standard in the TT's are pretty much as useful as the gray and black water tank sensors. That is why I recommend an easy to use inexpensive Digital Voltage Display to get a true idea as to what the status of your battery is.

The reason that I have no faith in the 4 LED display in most RV's is that they are no where near accurate. With my SOLAR pumping all day, the battery voltage is anywhere between 13.2 and 14.6 and at times the idiot lights only show 2/3..

Don
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRONICS - 12VDC Voltage Display.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
If I may ask, what was the battery voltage down to before the 4 hour trip. The battery meters that are standard in the TT's are pretty much as useful as the gray and black water tank sensors. That is why I recommend an easy to use inexpensive Digital Voltage Display to get a true idea as to what the status of your battery is.

The reason that I have no faith in the 4 LED display in most RV's is that they are no where near accurate. With my SOLAR pumping all day, the battery voltage is anywhere between 13.2 and 14.6 and at times the idiot lights only show 2/3..

Don
Curious Don, being the solar guru you are , do you find that voltage display works out alright when you have a decent load on your system? I picked up a different model that needs to be hardwired into the battery with a shunt. It's on my spring to do list... but I might just avoid it completely if that device you have there is adequate.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:41 PM   #25

Don, I honestly couldn't say. I left my meter at the house...I know, not the smartest thing I could've done. This was strictly off of the 4 dot cheapo Jayco meter. All I can say is that during this trip, the res. fridge/freezer stayed where it was supposed too!
Old 11-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #26

When you guys say your traveling for many hours then getting to a rest destination, then saying you still have good battery voltage. Are you doing anything else like opening slides, and leveling?
That's more what I'm talking about.
After 4 hours..sure my fridge would still be running. It would run until the inverter hit low voltage mode and shut down.
But try and do anything else with your batteries.... I'm lucky if I can get the unit to level. The batteries are too low to do anything with but keep the fridge running in a low amp mode compressor draw.
Hook up a decent voltage moniter that also shows amp draw and see where your batteries actually are.
Mustangs thread on an inexpensive battery moniter is a fairly good moniter for $12. (I'm having trouble finding the thread)

You can watch that fridge sucking up the amps and the voltage just continuously dropping.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
When you guys say your traveling for many hours then getting to a rest destination, then saying you still have good battery voltage. Are you doing anything else like opening slides, and leveling?
That's more what I'm talking about.
After 4 hours..sure my fridge would still be running. It would run until the inverter hit low voltage mode and shut down.
But try and do anything else with your batteries.... I'm lucky if I can get the unit to level. The batteries are too low to do anything with but keep the fridge running in a low amp mode compressor draw.
Hook up a decent voltage moniter that also shows amp draw and see where your batteries actually are.
Mustangs thread on an inexpensive battery moniter is a fairly good moniter for $12. (I'm having trouble finding the thread)

You can watch that fridge sucking up the amps and the voltage just continuously dropping.
No, I'm not doing anything else. I got to destination and checked battery on the Jayco terminal. Then I plugged in to shore power, hooked up, and got set up for the night. My DW is not much of a boondocker! If she was I'd be more inline with Dusty and others with regards to solar and better batteries!
Old 11-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post

I just noticed that Klassic just mentioned the thread regarding the inexpensive battery monitor. Here is the link:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...vel-32652.html

I also have an easy to understand wiring diagram on the RVing with SOLAR social group pictures (first picture). Very easy to install and give you a very close picture of your batteries electrical condition.

If you do decide to install one, Amazon has them, and order the one with the included 100Amp shunt resistor. Any questions just yell (digitally)

Don
Attached Thumbnails
BATTERY - Current-Voltage Digital Display.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #29

Some of these comments are from experienced RV'ers and some from "I think this is what happens" comment suppliers. My experience is that it works with the inverter very well. If you were to install 2 6V high amp batteries in lieu of the 12V batteries, you'll notice a longer use time. Also, if you install some solar power to help, you'll appreciate the residential fridge.
I installed 572 watts of solar and 4 T-145's and never have a worry.
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually, 4X4, Demco HiJacker 21K Autoslide on RAM Puck, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4:10's, 51 Gallon Titan fuel tank, Superhitch 30K lb receiver, Jack Rabbit bed cover.
Wagon: 2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s, Solid Step, 1 ton mini split HVAC, Back up cam.
Tote: Custom built swivel wheel tote (one torsion axle w/dual tires) with a Rampage lift.
Drifter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter1959 View Post
Some of these comments are from experienced RV'ers and some from "I think this is what happens" comment suppliers. My experience is that it works with the inverter very well. If you were to install 2 6V high amp batteries in lieu of the 12V batteries, you'll notice a longer use time. Also, if you install some solar power to help, you'll appreciate the residential fridge.
I installed 572 watts of solar and 4 T-145's and never have a worry.
Yes!! 4 T 145's is what I need instead of 2 t105's.
I already have 520watts of solar, just need more storage.
Where did you find room to put them?
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote