Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #21

Thanks for the information that the 2017 manual has the frig winterizing info in it. I will look it up. Problem is for new owners in 2019 they left it out of the manual.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #22

That's great that Whirlpool stands behind their product. I wish Frigidaire would.
Thanks for your input
Ranger3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
I blew out the lines of my Open Range for the past two years and it worked fine for San Antonio weather. I'm gonna do the same thing with this Jayco and res fridge. Thanks for the info.

I also just used air in my last TT for 2 years. No problems. I was just very patient in letting the air flow for a while. Also flushed the toilet like 10-15 times. This is Albany County NY! I will probably just do that agsin do I minimize chemicals.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:12 AM   #24
CTP

I have a similar question as the op.
I’ll be on a ferry for 3.5 days and I’m trying to keep the fridge running.
I don’t want to drain the batteries in FW it TV so I think it’s either plug into 120v with adapters, Empty the fridge and turn off batteries, or maybe I could hook up a trickle charger I had for my motorcycle and charge batteries while the fridge is on and disconnect TV plug.
Thoughts ? Advice?
Old 04-25-2019, 06:48 AM   #25

We used the water/ice maker in our unit the 1st year. After that, DW doesn't want to be bothered with the winterizing the unit. Too much trouble. Yes, we blew out the lines but then you have to keep cycling to get the water out of the ice maker. It took close to 45 minutes to finish everything. And no, we didn't run anti-freeze through the unit because our directions said not to. We have the Frigidaire unit.

Our unit is kept at a storage place. Sometimes we will go down 2-3 hours before leaving & start the unit - it depends on how much food we are taking. Other times, we will go down to hook up & DW will start the fridge & put the food with ice packs inside. We do run the unit while traveling & haven't had any issues. We do have 4 batteries and had a generator installed last year for just in case purposes. Last year we traveled to South Carolina & spent the night in a parking lot. We didn't have to start the generator & the readings were fine all night. Sometimes DW wishes we had the RV versus residential fridge.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #26

Along with this thread I’d like to ask what everyone does to their residential refrigerators when storing?
We have 2019 317RLOK and have used it one time so far.
When slide is in there is not any space to open door on freezer side of frig. Island in way. Can open frigerator side completely. How is everyone who has this this similar situation handling this? We live in Houston TX and store unit completely enclosed storage unit. This summer it will get very hot!!!
Thank you
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #27

I used a piece of pool noodle and bungee cord to keep the doors opened slightly if that is the question.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #28

I like the residential fridge for the ice maker. Love that freakin ice maker...
Old 05-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
What winterizing is needed for the residential fridge?
I made a dummy water filter for the frig. Sawed the end off and removed the charcoal filter and used epoxy to glue an end on to the empty filter. Used a 1.5 in PVC pipe and 1.5 in PVC cap. The PVC glue would not work with the plastic of the filter. I run the antifreeze until it comes out the water dispenser. When winter is over I flush the lines and water dispenser until clear water comes out. Then put a real filter in.
JPKendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #30

I would suggest that those of you running your generator in parking lots such as
Walmart try to be a good neighbor and not get the rest of us banned from more parking areas.
quiet is good
Idaho Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #31

Camco frig prop works great on the whirlpool frig. Fits between the 2 doors at the top and holds them open just enough to get air in. $7.99 at CW
Old 05-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPKendall View Post
I made a dummy water filter for the frig. Sawed the end off and removed the charcoal filter and used epoxy to glue an end on to the empty filter. Used a 1.5 in PVC pipe and 1.5 in PVC cap. The PVC glue would not work with the plastic of the filter. I run the antifreeze until it comes out the water dispenser. When winter is over I flush the lines and water dispenser until clear water comes out. Then put a real filter in.
You can buy them for 10 bucks.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
Another question,
I have a residential fridge in my new 5th wheel. Do you travel with it running, I just assumed that is why they come with an inverter?
Now I wonder if movement will ruin it while driving down the roaf?
We have a residential frig also and it has worked excellent. Insure you click over to the inverted when you travel to insure the frig continues to work.
Scott1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1956 View Post
We have a residential frig also and it has worked excellent. Insure you click over to the inverted when you travel to insure the frig continues to work.
I thought it automatically switches to inverter while traveling? You have to manually switch it?
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #35

Removing bins in frig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
We've had our new 5th wheel two weeks now. Took our first trip this past weekend. I kept the fridge off cuz it was for just the weekend and we knew we just had a couple of things to keep cold, milk and some fruit. So we kept it in a cooler and then put it in the small outside fridge, lol, that just works on shore power. I didn't want to have to wipe down the big fridge just for a couple of days out. When we ordered our 355mbqs, I was real skeptical of the residential fridge and what a pain in the ass winterizing it was gonna be. After reading from the experienced guys on this form, we decided to stick with the res fridge. Really nice. Think we made the right decision. Will turn it on next weekend when we take our big trip up to Kansas City. I like how hard the factory makes it for you to remove all the packaging in the new fridge. You can't open the doors all the way to get the bins out to remove the tape and the Styrofoam. Gotta stick with it and it'll all come out.

I had the same problem with my residential frig on my Eagle 321RSTS and the dealer couldn't tell me how to get the bins out. I kept on at them and they finally called Jayco to find out. You have to bring the slide in between 1/2 and 2/3 of the way. The door will open enough then to get the bins out to clean them and underneath them.
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

Centerville,TN
backpack1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpack1953 View Post
I had the same problem with my residential frig on my Eagle 321RSTS and the dealer couldn't tell me how to get the bins out. I kept on at them and they finally called Jayco to find out. You have to bring the slide in between 1/2 and 2/3 of the way. The door will open enough then to get the bins out to clean them and underneath them.
Not mine. The refrigerator door will only open 90 degrees regardless of where the slide is cuz it'll hit the wall/counter to the right. I played with it long enough and found out the bins will remove if you work them upwards and can come out. That's the only way I got all of the packing material and tape out.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:28 PM   #37

I found that if you take the shelves out, you can raise the bins up and tilt them and they come out. Not the easiest but it works. I would not stop the slide 2/3 of the way as stated in another post. That will get your motors out of sinc.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:26 PM   #38

Stopping slides before fully extended or closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
I found that if you take the shelves out, you can raise the bins up and tilt them and they come out. Not the easiest but it works. I would not stop the slide 2/3 of the way as stated in another post. That will get your motors out of sinc.
The dealer did tell me that stopping the slide before fully closed or extended would get them out of sync but Jayco had told them to do this to get the bins out. I will try tilting the shelves to see if that works. The dealer did tell me that adjusting the slides to put them back in sync was easy to do and that I could do it myself.
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

Centerville,TN
backpack1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPKendall View Post

Have you noticed any taste to the ice with this method?

Do you think others have had the taste issue because it stays in filter?
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Old 05-01-2019, 10:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1956 View Post

Thanks, since I have not picked it up I did not know I had to switch to inverter power.
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)