Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #1

Residential refridgerators

Just out of curiosity I am wondering why I see so many new trailers with residential fridges. My RV is a 2014 but at that time almost all manufactures gave you a choice of RV or Residential fridges. I have had nothing but good performance with the RV fridges. No extra batteries or worry of food getting warm while traveling. The double door RV fridges have plenty of room. Is there a big advantage to a residential fridge?
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #2

Hi skijlw,

We bought our new fifth wheel last year with a residential refrigerator. Very glad we did. We are in Ohio, so not much in the way of BLM land or boon docking around here. We are always in a campground. We also travel alot, will be on the road for 3 weeks in June going to California. So far I have had very good luck with the fridge running off the batteries with an inverter. I have 2 deep cycle 12 volt batteries, did some travel days last year that were 8 hours or more and never had an issue with batteries being low. Even though the double door RV fridge has a lot of room, it doesn't have near the room our 23 cu ft residential does. Since we will be "boondocking" this year in Walmart parking lots during our travels I did install an Onan generator. I'm not sure I'll need it for the fridge, but we will see. Installed it more for the air conditioner. The other advantage to me is not having the propane turned on while driving. I did that for 8 years and thousands of miles of towing, never had an issue, it was just always a thought in the back of my mind, especially when fueling. After all this, we are very happy with the residential fridge, don't think I will ever go back to an RV fridge
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
Just out of curiosity I am wondering why I see so many new trailers with residential fridges. My RV is a 2014 but at that time almost all manufactures gave you a choice of RV or Residential fridges. I have had nothing but good performance with the RV fridges. No extra batteries or worry of food getting warm while traveling. The double door RV fridges have plenty of room. Is there a big advantage to a residential fridge?
We are often asking the same question... We have the double door Norcold and spent 4.5 Months on the road. There was never once a concern that we would run out of space in that thing. We found that we could grocery shop every other week (sometimes every third week until we ran out of milk and coffee creamer) and never be in a tight spot.

Having no worries about if there is enough charge on the batteries, or if the power goes out in a campground far outweighs having room for two frozen turkeys in the freezer for us. We also like to spend much of our time dry camping instead of RVParks, so the 110/Propane style units fit our lifestyle more perfectly.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #4

Hard ice cream

The number 1 sales pitch is hard ice cream - we have no problems with our Norcold 12 cu ft but the Samsung residential refrigerator using 1 amp of power at 120 volts is AWESOME and dry camping friendly - if i ever have to replace a dead refrigerator we may go with the residential
Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #5

We are on our second 5th wheel with a residential fridge. They work fine, but it can be a little nerve wracking worrying about whether or not the batteries (we have 4 12v) will last long enough while dry camping. When we were shopping for trailers, none of the dealers had any with rv fridges in stock. I guess it's a tossup.

Jim
Old 04-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #6

I added a residential fridge to our jay flight after problems with our norcold. That’s all we’ll have now. Xantrex inverter, 2 - 6 volts and we’re all good. We don’t boondock, so this set up works for us. I have a new Norcold N811 in West Louisiana if anyone wants it, free. Just gotta come get it. It’s one I had installed under warranty to replace the original. After a few months I put the residential in.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:17 PM   #7

I ordered my new North Point with the residential fridge. Have an RV fridge in my trailer now and aside from constantly worrying about the thing bursting into flames, I am constantly adjusting the level (1-5) to try and maintain the least amount of temperature flux. It gets cold just fine but it’s definitely not even. I out fans on the inside to circulate air. That prevents the fins from icing up and stopping the unit from cooling but it still it still is not ideal. I can’t wait for the residential fridge.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:44 PM   #8

I seem to recall a movement to a “more residential “ feel from manufacturers in the last few years. This may have something to do with it.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #9

Camping styles are a changin' and amenities in at least higher end RV's are becoming more "residential" in many aspects. I consider residential refrigerators along the same lines as a tankless water heater. If it works for you great, if not, go the more traditional route.

We have one in our Eagle 330RSTS TT and couldn't be happier with it. I look at it just as I look at the Truma tankless WH we also have. Since we are seasonal and never dry camp/boondock, this setup works really well for us.

The TV keeps things running while on the road, 2 - 12v (soon to be 2 - 6v) batteries keep it running for up to 8 hours when necessary, and I have a eu2000i generator that I carry just in case.