Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2023, 11:29 AM   #1

Residential Refrig. Power question

Although RVing for 55 years and being my own mechanic, I have a question regarding the power source to my 2020 Jayco 36RSQS Fifth Wheel residential refrigerator. I realize it runs off 120v AC power but my question is: when the rig is plugged into shore power, is the invertor still converting DC to AC to run the refrig OR does the invertor "switch off" having the refrig run directly from the shore power AC? The refrigerator is electrically connected to a junction box behind the stove so I can't see the wiring that feeds the unit. Thank you for your expertise!
ahill261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 11:57 AM   #2

The Inverter has a built in transfer switch that reverts to shore power automatically. The line from the breaker panel goes directly to the Inverter.
Old 12-23-2023, 12:03 PM   #3

I don't know which inverter you have to look up any specifics however, almost every RV inverter I have seen either has an internal or external transfer switch to allow the 120v to pass through whenever shore power is available (such as when on shore power to power your refrigerator).

What I have also seen and likely confuses many, is that most RV inverters (again that I have seen) that have an internal transfer switch, the inverter has to be switched on even to get pass-through power to flow which leads many to think the inverter is creating 120v ac power from the 12vdc (battery) because it is turned on and if off there is no power flowing, and while this is true with many inverters, this is not true for those inverters that have an internal transfer switch as turning it on simply puts it in automatic mode.

Do you know which inverter you have? Knowing that could lead to an answer specific to your setup.

~CA
Old 12-23-2023, 01:08 PM   #4

Xantrex Pro xm1000
Old 12-23-2023, 01:19 PM   #5

Thank you for the great information. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-23-2023, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahill261 View Post
Xantrex Pro xm1000
According to the documents your inverter does have an internal transfer switch and will transfer shore power while being turned on or off. When it is turned on the transfer from shore power to inverter power (and the opposite) will occur automatically. ~CA

https://xantrex.com/library/inverter.../owners-guide/