Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
We have the Whirlpool residential and love it - I've heard some complain that the door lock for transit is not reliable but ours has worked fine. For some odd reason, the Whirpool fridges come with only two glass freezer shelves, and additional ones are expensive, but I easily and inexpensively fashioned spares from 1/2" plastic food cutting boards from Sam's club.
We have the Whirlpool side by side. Our refrigerator did not come with a door lock. We use a piece of double sided velcro from a roll that is about 1/2 in wide. It holds the doors closed very well. It is also useful for hoses, electrical extension cords, electrical line organizer, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-...96&sr=8-9&th=1

I like your idea for another freezer shelf, I will be out shopping for a cutting board now! Thanks for the tip.

Fyrehuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:36 AM   #22

I was looking at a YouTube video the one guy said that they were done ordering in residential fridge but if you wanted one they will order one for you, he talk like they are a pain.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
I was looking at a YouTube video the one guy said that they were done ordering in residential fridge but if you wanted one they will order one for you, he talk like they are a pain.
I'm sure they are a pain especially if you have to remove it for a total replacement. I doubt that happens very often. More likely the need for a repair still requires at least pulling it out of its spot to access the back. With the opening behind a gas/electric fridge there is access to them. Another thing that tipped us to Jayco was the access door to the back of the residential fridge. I think it is new for 2020 models. I don't recall seeing that on any other models we toured.

I've been a member of several rv forums since 2005. Residential fridges were starting to show up, usually in motor homes, back then. I've seen many posts on uneven cooling with the absorption types. I had one. I just don't remember seeing many posts with issues with a residential type. That may not mean much as my memory is not as reliable as it used to be. Since most of the time folks don't post to brag about something my guess is the problem rate for both types is probably pretty low. As long as the fridge works, no matter what type, keeps your food cold and ice cream frozen all is good.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_0376 (2).jpg  
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #24

That’s awesome. I really wish my 2019 had that. If my fridge has issues, either the slide comes out or island gets moved. I’m pretty certain if I pull the fridge out, it would hit the island. So, the slide would be need to be removed.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:25 PM   #25

I was told you need to remove the frig doors and it will fit thru the entrance door. I thought the same thing of sliding the island over if I need to remove it. I think once you remove the doors, it will slide out to the island and you could then slide it over towards the entrance door to get access to the back. Hope this never happens.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
That’s awesome. I really wish my 2019 had that. If my fridge has issues, either the slide comes out or island gets moved. I’m pretty certain if I pull the fridge out, it would hit the island. So, the slide would be need to be removed.
I would think that for quite a few bucks you could probably have a door like that added.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #27

Funny.... quite a few bucks indeed.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
I'm sure they are a pain especially if you have to remove it for a total replacement. I doubt that happens very often. More likely the need for a repair still requires at least pulling it out of its spot to access the back. With the opening behind a gas/electric fridge there is access to them. Another thing that tipped us to Jayco was the access door to the back of the residential fridge. I think it is new for 2020 models. I don't recall seeing that on any other models we toured.

I've been a member of several rv forums since 2005. Residential fridges were starting to show up, usually in motor homes, back then. I've seen many posts on uneven cooling with the absorption types. I had one. I just don't remember seeing many posts with issues with a residential type. That may not mean much as my memory is not as reliable as it used to be. Since most of the time folks don't post to brag about something my guess is the problem rate for both types is probably pretty low. As long as the fridge works, no matter what type, keeps your food cold and ice cream frozen all is good.

The guy I forget where he was at but you would know if I mention the name said that if they go down they most of the time have to pull it out and the company of the fridges have to work on them and sometimes they don't come out for weeks.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I would think that for quite a few bucks you could probably have a door like that added.
In most cases the slide have to come out, that's what the guy said at the rv dealer, they can be a pain but I guess that when they working they work pretty good.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:45 PM   #30

battery charging for residential fridge

I too have been struggling with this decision for our next trailer. We never go "that long" that a larger refrigerator is needed, and we don't have any problems with our norcold. My question: many posts refer to their batteries still being x amount "still charged" after driving so many hours. Isn't your tow vehicle charging your trailer batteries while driving??

davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #31

Smile residential fridge

We have a 2017 pinnacle, 37 rsts. Residential ridge and we will never, ever go back to that rv uncool box. Have driven up to 8 hrs. ice still frozen. We use the ice as our indicator. We have 4, 6 volt batteries and a xantrex inverter.
Works just like we are at home. Massive size and constant cold.
We have a separate ice maker, use bottled water, then put the ice into the fridge freezer dispenser and use the door for the ice. Just like it is suppose to be.
We do not boondock so cannot comment on that.
We have 15,000 miles, and 2 years. NO ISSUES.
haweinberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
Haylett posted a video yesterday stating why the will no longer offer residential fridges. They are not authorized to do warranty work by the fridge manufacturer. Time to call the maytag man. The video was shot next to a rig with the slide out removed so the fridge could be replaced, would not fit thru the door.
I take it they don't sell "HIGH END" rigs since residential refrigerators are more the norm than the exception. How would you get a residential out of a diesel pusher? Try taking it out the front door.......
Old 08-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #33

We have had 6 fifth wheel trailers with the RV fridge. Our only Class C had the residential fridge and we liked it so much that our first Class A had to have one. No trouble driving during the day, the Inverter keeps it running. In the just over 1 year we have owned the Class A, we have spent 240 days living in it. 2 1/2 months out West last summer with 31 RV Park stays and 7,000 miles driven. This past winter we spent 5 months in Naples FL and loved having the large capacity Whirlpool with ice maker and water dispenser. We buy a lot of meat and the freezer keeps it really frozen. Now have over 13,000 miles on the odometer with no problems.
jaycojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:25 PM   #34

We have had a residential refrigerator now for three years, we used to have the regular RV fridge. I wouldn’t go back - I just love it. The key is to have two good batteries so that you keep it running while you’re towing down the road. Your tow vehicle will help to recharge your batteries while you’re towing, but these refrigerators draw a lot of power - more than your tow vehicle charging system can keep up with. So again, it’s important to have two heavy duty batteries. I have two 100 amp Lithium batteries, but that’s a pricey option.
Cheetah053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #35

Rv fridge

The reason I bought an rv ,was to enjoy the total freedom to go and do what ever I want. That may be a camping trip with or without hook ups. A weekend at the race track. A trip to the king of hammers. I love the freedom the rv fridge provides. I have a 6k generator on board but prefer not to hear it rumble.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Funny.... quite a few bucks indeed.
The doors on my camper have a part number. I would think you could cut a hole the size of the new model door and buy the door. All you would need then is trim... buy the door and do it yourself if you think it’s that expensive. More features on a camper will ALWAYS have more problems than a barebones model, law of averages tells us that and QA (quality assurance) is quite non existent with all RV’s.
Levinehikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #37

Well, I just seen this on YouTube, this guy is pretty good in explaining it. https://youtu.be/NYEYdF3C7TQ
Old 08-01-2020, 06:14 PM   #38

Well I know many dealers are opposed to the residential fridge because they cant work on them. Dealerships dont like having to have someone else do work they would normally get paid for. Now I have the whirlpool in my northpoint and knock on wood have only had water issues with it and they were able to fix it without removing the fridge. That said I wish they would put a back hatch to make the fridge accessible. I was told by 2 different CW they would have to remove the slide or the island to get the fridge out if it needed to be replaced. I was then told by the dealer that I have been using for a few years now that both of those options are outrageous. Dealerships like to force the manufacturers to pay them all the labor involved to do either of the above options. The tech went on to tell me they even charge jayco to do this extra work when in reality they are normally able to get the fridge right out the door. All they do is take the doors off and he said the fridge actually fits right out the door. He went on to tell me that jayco is great about that but some other manufacturers not so great about it.

Just to be on the safe side we opted for a 7 year extended warranty and made sure in writing they cover the fridge including removing and installing a new one if it came to it. As for the residential fridge not being built for all the bouncing and moving going down the road that also is not true. Whirlpool actually got the contract with jayco because they were able to rubber mount most of the components in the bottom of the fridge and used longer copper lines to insure adequate room for movement. They also used low energy consumption compressors with built in soft starters and programmed longer intervals between freezer defrost cycles as well. Now there are not large differences in a fridge built for rvs but there are some differences. You could replace it with a normal fridge from home depot yes it would work fine for many years likely. Keep in mind the components on a refrigerator are not all that sensitive anyway.

We love our residential fridge and will likely never go back to an rv fridge if we can avoid it. I also installed 500 watts of solar, and 4 six volts batteries to insurance we wouldn't run into power issues. So far we have made it 13 hours of driving with no issues, as a matter of fact when we got plugged I checked the batteries and we had 94% left. I'm confident with my system I can easily go 2 or 3 days before a genny would be needed. If even then it depends on how much sun we get. My 13 hour day was on a cloudy overcast day.

Sorry for the long post. But good luck on your decision. I recommend the residential fridge, with a battery upgrade and solar if you plan on long travel days or boondocking at all.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #39

Residential frig

We have a residential frig and love it. We don’t boondock either so non issue. Anyone else worried about residential Refrigerators weighing too much for these Schwintec slide outs? I wonder if it weighs more or about the same as the RV refrigerators. My biggest fear is our kitchen slide breaking due to its inability to handle the weight. We have a 317RLOK Jayco Eagle 2019 model and the kitchen slide out has refrigerator, MW, stove, and 2 recliners. Anyone else have same concern?????
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
We have a residential frig and love it. We don’t boondock either so non issue. Anyone else worried about residential Refrigerators weighing too much for these Schwintec slide outs? I wonder if it weighs more or about the same as the RV refrigerators. My biggest fear is our kitchen slide breaking due to its inability to handle the weight. We have a 317RLOK Jayco Eagle 2019 model and the kitchen slide out has refrigerator, MW, stove, and 2 recliners. Anyone else have same concern?????
I have the 377rlbh it's a 2018 and I've had that slide in and out at least 200 times. We had some alignment issues at one point but it was an easy fix. I was told by a northpoint engineer that the schwintec slide was fine weight wise because it only goes out 2 feet. It has a weight rating based on how far it moves and with the OEM weight there was still a nice buffer because it's so shallow of a slide. My 377 has all the appliances, a pantry, fireplace and TV in it. Honestly we have had more issues with our mid bunk room slide because of how far out it goes. Its really light only having a couch and a bunk in it. It goes out over 3 feet.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote