Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2020, 07:03 PM   #41

Haylett doesn’t have any one trained on residential refrigerators so they hate them. I’ve had rv’s for 16 years and every one had problems until I went residential OMG this is the best choice I every made. Ice, easier to put full size products just make sure you have good batteries- I went with 2 battleborn’s they are amazing
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:24 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmopilot View Post
Haylett doesn’t have any one trained on residential refrigerators so they hate them. I’ve had rv’s for 16 years and every one had problems until I went residential OMG this is the best choice I every made. Ice, easier to put full size products just make sure you have good batteries- I went with 2 battleborn’s they are amazing
I agree.. battleborn will be my next upgrade unfortunately my solar charger and my converter charger wont put 100% charge to them. So I have a few more upgrades before I can do lithium batteries.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:28 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
I agree.. battleborn will be my next upgrade unfortunately my solar charger and my converter charger wont put 100% charge to them. So I have a few more upgrades before I can do lithium batteries.
I apologize, but what unit do you have? I have a '16 NP 377 and talked directly with progressive dynamics about my charge converter. It's compatible with Lithium as long as I push the "boost" mode button a few times while I'm camping on shore power.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I apologize, but what unit do you have? I have a '16 NP 377 and talked directly with progressive dynamics about my charge converter. It's compatible with Lithium as long as I push the "boost" mode button a few times while I'm camping on shore power.
I've got the 2018 NP 377. Yeah I was told it would work but you have to push the button or it would top out at about 85 or 90% of capacity. Same with my solar charge controller. They have an upgrade you can plug into the PD charger but it's not much cheaper then just replacing the charger with the lithium supported charger. Ive also considered doing a whole house inverter charger that would also have the lithium capability. Only catch is it's not cheap. I just dont know of I wanna drop that cash when 90% of the time I have full hookups. If also considered going back to a smaller NP rv. 43 footer is not so easy to "camp" in. And many parks are really limited on spots for that size. I dont know yet what the plan is.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:18 PM   #45

Here’s my two cents worth. I have a residential in my 355 MBQS Jayco. It came with two batteries. We always made short trips. We decided we take a trip to Stone Mountain this week. Before I left Louisiana I added a third battery to be certain. When I arrived my inverter was showing 12.1 V. My Truck more than handled the load that that refrigerator used. No issues whatsoever. PS two batteries would’ve been more than enough.
easevado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:21 PM   #46

Giving all of the info that I got from you guys now I want be afraid to go residential thanks for all of your comments.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:20 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
I have a 2018 eagle 322rlok, on my converter there is a jumper that switches it to charge lithium batteries. You may want to check your converter.

I’ve been running mine for about 2.5 years they have been great.

I also have boondocked at sun n fun April 2019 (Lakeland Fl) I do use a igen4500df mostly for A/C.

I now also have 960 Watts of renogy solar panels and they easily keep the batteries topped off both during long travel days and for about 2 months when I was in Fl from late March till Memorial day testing it by turning off the circuit breaker to my refrigerator and my converter - to run just from batteries and the inverter. (There was once during 2 days of almost continuous rain when I had to turn on my converter as the batteries finally got down to 18% SOC)

Also I just saw a video of some less expensive lithium batteries https://youtu.be/gCmwBfIk9Gs

I currently have over 7000 miles towing on my whirlpool - no issues with the refrigerator (if you RV you will have an issue of some type ; ) )
2018 F150 Platinum SC, FX4, 3.5-EB, Max tow - 12,700-Updates;Hensley Arrow 1400/14,000lbs, Battle Born Lithium 200ah, Victron Energy BMV-712 & VE 100/50, (6x160 ->960 Watts)- Flexible Renogy Solar, Micro Air Soft Start, RVlock, Westinghouse iGen4500DF, EMS-HW50C, Splendide WDC7100XC Washer/Dryer, Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL camera
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:37 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by easevado View Post
Here’s my two cents worth. I have a residential in my 355 MBQS Jayco. It came with two batteries. We always made short trips. We decided we take a trip to Stone Mountain this week. Before I left Louisiana I added a third battery to be certain. When I arrived my inverter was showing 12.1 V. My Truck more than handled the load that that refrigerator used. No issues whatsoever. PS two batteries would’ve been more than enough.
Your 12.1v is approximately 50% battery charge. Batteries don’t like to go below 50%. So I would say, no...your truck didn’t more than handle the load. You just squeezed by.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Your 12.1v is approximately 50% battery charge. Batteries don’t like to go below 50%. So I would say, no...your truck didn’t more than handle the load. You just squeezed by.
My trailer was not connected toMy truck or 220v. You’re saying at 12.1 V on the inverter is 50% battery? If so I made a 10 hour trip on three batteries.
With the truck charging that still wasn’t bad. I don’t want to go further than a 10 hour trip in one day anyway
easevado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:51 AM   #50

Love our Res fridge!

We have a residential fridge in our 2019 37TS and are so glad it came with it. We’ve heard too many stories of RV fridges not working properly when not perfectly level as well as potential fire issues. We boondock (dry camp) about 80% of the time but we also have 2000W of solar and rarely have to use our generator. I love the amount of space we have in the fridge and can stock it up for a few weeks of camping.
TreePlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreePlant View Post
We have a residential fridge in our 2019 37TS and are so glad it came with it. We’ve heard too many stories of RV fridges not working properly when not perfectly level as well as potential fire issues. We boondock (dry camp) about 80% of the time but we also have 2000W of solar and rarely have to use our generator. I love the amount of space we have in the fridge and can stock it up for a few weeks of camping.

What’s your battery setup?
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
I watched a bunch of videos with the guy from Haylett RV in Michigan before we bought our Pinnacle. Very informative most of the time. Sales pitches part of the time. I just saw he a had a new one on rv refrigerators so thought I would watch it. He says he will no longer order a residential in any of the units he sells. In the background there is a travel trailer with the slide completely removed so they could get the residential fridge out. He says they are not designed to take the abuse of rv travel.

We had a Samsung RF18 in our previous fifth wheel that went all over the country and parts of Canada for 65K miles and never had an issue. Prior to that we had a Norcold in a motor home that was nothing but problems. When we shopped this time if it didn't have a residential we walked. Our Pinnacle has an access port behind the fridge that allows access to the workings of the fridge so it can stay in place and still be serviced. I hope the Whirlpool is as good as the Samsung.

I saw that video and replied to it as Josh has never seen a fire from the Ammonia/hydrogen get to the boiler flame and burn a rig down to the ground or got food poisoning because the freezer and fridge are out of temp range for their jobs. He did retract a bit in the comments and said that he will order one if a customer wants it but their stock rigs won't include it.
Lord-Dogbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:02 PM   #53

The problem we had with the Norcold was inconsistency. Sometimes it was fine and others it wasn't. I tried adding fans to the back side and a new thermister but the problems continued. After the 3rd time with spoiled food I jerked it out and replaced it with a Samsung. Our last fifth wheel had a Samsung that worked like it should for 8 full seasons.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
The problem we had with the Norcold was inconsistency. Sometimes it was fine and others it wasn't. I tried adding fans to the back side and a new thermister but the problems continued. After the 3rd time with spoiled food I jerked it out and replaced it with a Samsung. Our last fifth wheel had a Samsung that worked like it should for 8 full seasons.

Yes, this is what I have find out also when we last went out we had some ice cream and one time I check it it was pretty firm but later I went back it was soft, I don't like soft ice cream.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:25 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by easevado View Post
My trailer was not connected toMy truck or 220v. You’re saying at 12.1 V on the inverter is 50% battery? If so I made a 10 hour trip on three batteries.
With the truck charging that still wasn’t bad. I don’t want to go further than a 10 hour trip in one day anyway
12.06v is more like 50%.
Yes, the voltage shown on your inverter is the voltage of the batteries. If you weren’t plugged in and you were to shut the fridge off, and any other substantial 12v loads, the batteries would probably go back up to a little higher voltage.
You never said what the amp hours of the batteries are, but being you had three then they are 12v, and most likely around 70 amp hours each. So having three of them was the right move for driving 10 hours.

Just keep in mind when your fridge goes into defrost mode it will use 45 amps for 20mins. I just saw mine go into defrost mode 2 times in 2.5 hours last weekend.
It’s not the end of the world going below the 50% rule...it just slowly reduces the battery life.
I think your inverter will shut down around 11.6v
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:27 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superseneca View Post
The reason I bought an rv ,was to enjoy the total freedom to go and do what ever I want. That may be a camping trip with or without hook ups. A weekend at the race track. A trip to the king of hammers. I love the freedom the rv fridge provides. I have a 6k generator on board but prefer not to hear it rumble.
oh yea!!!! Hammertown is never going to be friendly to anything else!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:54 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
What’s your battery setup?
We have 4 Relion lithium batteries.
TreePlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:25 PM   #58

My Jayco came with two 12v batteries and residential fridge. The longest travel day was 12 hrs and fridge temp never changed. I pick up the new 351MR just 3 days before leaving on a ten day trip and it came with only one battery. I was going to add second battery but ran out of time trying to get new rig ready to go. When I left home fridge was on 38 and freezer was -2. After 8 1/2 hrs. driving it had not changed running on one battery and truck. Still plan on changing to 2-6v but was pleased with performance.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:54 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
My Jayco came with two 12v batteries and residential fridge. The longest travel day was 12 hrs and fridge temp never changed. I pick up the new 351MR just 3 days before leaving on a ten day trip and it came with only one battery. I was going to add second battery but ran out of time trying to get new rig ready to go. When I left home fridge was on 38 and freezer was -2. After 8 1/2 hrs. driving it had not changed running on one battery and truck. Still plan on changing to 2-6v but was pleased with performance.

This is good to hear, but I wanted to ask you how do you like your 351MR Solitude I have been looking at the 310GK Solitude, don't know if will work though?
Old 08-05-2020, 07:29 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
This is good to hear, but I wanted to ask you how do you like your 351MR Solitude I have been looking at the 310GK Solitude, don't know if will work though?
The 351MR is a Momentum Toyhauler, but the Solitudes are nice. I liked the Jayco Seismic but could only find one in stock within 300 miles and it was overpriced and not the model we wanted.