Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #1

Residential refrigerator

We just ordered our first Jayco, a 2019 Pinnacle 37 MDQS, we choose the residential frig over the optional gas/electric frig. We are wondering what type of experience others have had with the residential refrigerator in an RV?

Thank you,

Dave & Kathy
73stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #2

It’s nice to have the space of the res fridge. Just remember to turn your inverter on when not hook to land line.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #3

I love mine. But if you camp without electric it could pose a problem for you unless you get some solar. You will need more than 1 battery when traveling to keep the fridge running with the inverter.

Congrats on the new RV and welcome!
Old 01-13-2019, 09:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73stroker View Post
We just ordered our first Jayco, a 2019 Pinnacle 37 MDQS, we choose the residential frig over the optional gas/electric frig. We are wondering what type of experience others have had with the residential refrigerator in an RV?

Thank you,

Dave & Kathy
You guys are going to love it..........just like the one at home and it actually keeps things COLD!!
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I love mine. But if you camp without electric it could pose a problem for you unless you get some solar. You will need more than 1 battery when traveling to keep the fridge running with the inverter.

Congrats on the new RV and welcome!

This is true. But, what I learned the hard way is if your destination is 5-6 hours away, your batteries will be pretty run down and you’ll have a hard time with the leveling system. To combat this, I’ve employed a couple different techniques.

First was to keep 7 way plugged into truck and plug in shore power before leveling

Second I discovered by accident. I forgot to turn on the inverter. 5 hours later, freezer had gone from 0 to 26F and fridge went from 38 to 45F. Of course I keep my trailer plugged in at home and the fridge is always on. So, unless I plan to drive for more than 5 hours, or it’s the middle of Texas summer, I don’t bother with the inverter. Otherwise, I’ll turn it on when we leave and shut it off midway at our restroom stop.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73stroker View Post

Thank you,

Dave & Kathy
Best thing that ever happened to RVs. Love having an automatic ice maker and once it gets going it really pumps out the ice.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #7

So should I shut off my inverter while connected to shore power?
Yikes. Never even thought of that.

Beautiful Wife

Ladd & Stacy
Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd View Post
I never shut down my inverter. When you plug into shore power the read out on the inverter shows bypassing the batteries.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 01-13-2019, 03:23 PM   #9

We chose the residential fridge for our 377RLBH purchased last winter and love it. Tons of room, cold water and ice through the door. A great choice as we use our camper as a seasonal and the fridge is on for 5 plus months with no defrosting etc. Had to winterize it this year and am a little nervous about this spring when I open up though.
dbvano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbvano View Post
We chose the residential fridge for our 377RLBH purchased last winter and love it. Tons of room, cold water and ice through the door. A great choice as we use our camper as a seasonal and the fridge is on for 5 plus months with no defrosting etc. Had to winterize it this year and am a little nervous about this spring when I open up though.
My water dispenser doesn't dispense real cold water, don't know why it shouldn't........any ideas?
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 01-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd View Post
I got one in my eagle and love it. Full size items shopping for best value not size, Ice, water filter are great.

Keep in mind as others have said you will ruin the “Free” lead acid battery they install at the dealership if you tow it for more than a couple of hours.

I planned up front for this and immediately installed a couple of BattleBorn Lithium batteries which can support the inverter and the refrigerator for more than 24 hours and won’t be damaged if run empty(they have a built in auto cutoff when low).

The inverter can be left on and I do as it provides backup power in the event of a power failure - mine came with a auto transfer switch so the refrigerator doesn’t even know the power went out.

Solar can be added for an additional backup to this, which I am in the process of.
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
My water dispenser doesn't dispense real cold water, don't know why it shouldn't........any ideas?
On the whirlpool I believe you can adjust the water temp from the dispenser control panel- look at the manual.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
This is true. But, what I learned the hard way is if your destination is 5-6 hours away, your batteries will be pretty run down and you’ll have a hard time with the leveling system. To combat this, I’ve employed a couple different techniques.

First was to keep 7 way plugged into truck and plug in shore power before leveling

Second I discovered by accident. I forgot to turn on the inverter. 5 hours later, freezer had gone from 0 to 26F and fridge went from 38 to 45F. Of course I keep my trailer plugged in at home and the fridge is always on. So, unless I plan to drive for more than 5 hours, or it’s the middle of Texas summer, I don’t bother with the inverter. Otherwise, I’ll turn it on when we leave and shut it off midway at our restroom stop.
I just remembered that the xantrex inverter has some settings that can be adjusted to not run your lead acid batteries to low that would cause damage ie below 50%.

I would suggest getting some (2) battleborn lithium batteries as they will probably out last your rig and you won’t be worrying about them getting low while you are towing.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #14

First, congratulations on the Pinnacle and welcome!

We run 4 6V batteries and have not had a problem with the fridge. We don’t boondock so haven’t bothered with solar or a generator. Longest day on the road was 14 hours, and IIRC batteries were still at about 11.5V when we got to the campground.

As far as the inverter goes, I turn it on at the beginning of the season and don’t turn it off - I never have to wonder if I remembered to turn it on. It’s automatically bypassed when on shore power.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #15

Congrat and we love the residential fridge. We would never go back?? We have a 2018 jayco northpoint and I will tell you that you will have to change the filter every 3 months but it might be the water down here in Florida??
csper29605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:50 AM   #16

Dumb question... Why would the fridge/inverter discharge the battery(s) when traveling? Won't the plugged-in tow vehicle's alternator keep things charged?

Dave

2018 Ford F350 6.7 SRW
2018 Jayco North Point 315RLTS
dkegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkegel View Post
Dumb question... Why would the fridge/inverter discharge the battery(s) when traveling? Won't the plugged-in tow vehicle's alternator keep things charged?

Dave
Dave, my exact same thought!! In fact, I know it does. I can travel for 5 to 6 hours with my fridge on and my batteries never drop below 13 to 14 volts.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 01-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkegel View Post

Dave

Not necessarily. Most trucks have a small gauge charge wire to the trailer plug. The inverter uses more power than the truck can replenish. If you have multiple batteries, you’re basically just keeping the already charged batteries topped off.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Not necessarily. Most trucks have a small gauge charge wire to the trailer plug. The inverter uses more power than the truck can replenish. If you have multiple batteries, you’re basically just keeping the already charged batteries topped off.
Tom, don't know if it makes a difference but my RAM has dual 220 AMP alternators and I have two batteries in the 5er.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 01-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Tom, don't know if it makes a difference but my RAM has dual 220 AMP alternators and I have two batteries in the 5er.

It doesn’t matter...I’ve got same setup as you. The wires going back to the plug are the same thickness.