Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2022, 09:17 AM   #1

Angry Residential Refrigerator

I have a 2022 North Point with a residential four-door refrigerator. The two top doors are the refrigerator, and the two bottom doors are the freezer. Across the tops of both sets of doors is a fabric strap with a snap on each end that, I assume, is designed to prevent the doors from coming open during travel.

However, during a trip last month one of the bottom doors came open but the strap prevented it from swinging around. Nothing fell out, thank goodness. On my trip last week, the top door on the right came open but was stopped from swinging around by the strap. This time, several items fell out and created quite a mess! Obviously, the straps don't prevent the doors from opening but from swinging around.

Has anyone else had this problem, and, if so, what was done to prevent this situation in the future? Hopefully someone has a solution to this problem because I don't want to have this happen again.

Containers broke and the contents spilled onto the floor. I didn't enjoy cleaning up the mess!

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:26 AM   #2

All kinds of child proof locks that would keep the door shut.

https://www.amazon.com/Child-Proof-L...r+Refrigerator
Old 08-02-2022, 09:28 AM   #3

My 17 Northpoint has a res fridge in it but it's a 2 door. It has a latch system like this...
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220802_112200.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	83152

Name:	20220802_112152.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	83153

My outdoor kitchen fridge has no latch on it and had it surprise me once, that's all it took. So I got a length of velcro strap and wrapped the entire fridge to keep the door close. When I use the fridge I unzip the velcro strap and just let them hang down to the sides out of the way

Name:	20220802_112253.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	83154
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:11 AM   #4

This company has a soultion...I have the same problem...I haven't called yet, but the new 4 door Whirlpool was listed.

https://www.recubed.solutions/fridgefixer-designs

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:43 AM   #5

Thanks for the quick replies. I never thought of child-proof locks. i think they will work.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 12:05 PM   #6

I just ordered one...I'll let you guys know how it works.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099QDK8SM...ogi&th=1&psc=1

B&W hitch
Old 08-02-2022, 02:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by djalbrec View Post
I have a 2022 North Point with a residential four-door refrigerator. The two top doors are the refrigerator, and the two bottom doors are the freezer. Across the tops of both sets of doors is a fabric strap with a snap on each end that, I assume, is designed to prevent the doors from coming open during travel.

However, during a trip last month one of the bottom doors came open but the strap prevented it from swinging around. Nothing fell out, thank goodness. On my trip last week, the top door on the right came open but was stopped from swinging around by the strap. This time, several items fell out and created quite a mess! Obviously, the straps don't prevent the doors from opening but from swinging around.

Has anyone else had this problem, and, if so, what was done to prevent this situation in the future? Hopefully someone has a solution to this problem because I don't want to have this happen again.

Containers broke and the contents spilled onto the floor. I didn't enjoy cleaning up the mess!
Our '21 Pinnacle has similar straps and they work very well. They are tight against the doors, no way they would allow the doors to open.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djalbrec View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I never thought of child-proof locks. i think they will work.
We use the child-proof locks in addition to the lock on our fridge. We use 3 of them on the door handle. The lock on the fridge would unlatch while traveling and DW was not a happy camper because of the mess. Luckily no eggs broke. When our slide is in, the fridge is literally against the island so you do not know what you are going to encounter until the slide is opened.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:22 PM   #9

The problem is the new Whirlpool frig has no handles, it has recesses to open the door with...So you can't strap the handles together.

B&W hitch
Old 08-02-2022, 07:34 PM   #10
Site Team

Here is another option: https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...ries_and_Parts

I have a couple of friends with this and it works for them.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
The problem is the new Whirlpool frig has no handles, it has recesses to open the door with...So you can't strap the handles together.
Another instance where the designers have absolutely no clue what happens when these units hit the road. That is something they should have taken into consideration when designing the units.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:54 PM   #12

This guy 3-d prints fridge fixers - I was working with him for the fridge in our fifth wheel...as he has several options for several different type door layouts...

https://www.recubed.solutions
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topperace View Post
This guy 3-d prints fridge fixers - I was working with him for the fridge in our fifth wheel...as he has several options for several different type door layouts...

yep, that is what I ordered...their website links back to Amazon once you find the proper part. Waiting for it to come in.

B&W hitch
Old 08-05-2022, 05:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topperace View Post

Quote:
yep, that is what I ordered...their website links back to Amazon once you find the proper part. Waiting for it to come in.
That is a nifty gadget! Although our straps work well, I may just have to have one of these.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:56 PM   #15

I emailed them as I couldn't match the model number but described it as best I could. He came back with a picture and said I probably had this model number
Whirlpool WRQA59CNKZ. I went back to the camper and manual, and sure enough, I had copied the wrong numbers. This model is specific to our fridge, and I am thinking a lot of '21 Pinnacles have the same model. My Buddie's '21 36FBTS has an identical unit. I think we were built 2 months apart. I think I will get it, but only for the clean look as our straps work just fine, but hard to hide.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:27 PM   #16

The Whirlpool WRQA59CNKZ is fairly new...maybe started in 2022 in the Jayco's

B&W hitch
Old 08-06-2022, 04:44 AM   #17

Quote:
The Whirlpool WRQA59CNKZ is fairly new...maybe started in 2022 in the Jayco's
Not quite, ours is a '21 Pinnacle, and it also came with the adjustable straps. The doors can't come open; however, my bride did mention some stuff does get shuffled around inside the unit. Carl, presuming he is the owner, has been extremely helpful and fast to respond. Here is a link to the specific Fridge fixer.

Rene

BTW- there is an excellent video here on the install that takes maybe 5 minutes.

: https://www.amazon.com/Fridge-Fixer-...ef_=ast_sto_dp
Old 08-07-2022, 06:35 AM   #18

Have yet to order. I am planning on getting 2 and giving one to my buddy for an early Christmas, but his site on Amazon wants to charge me shipping and a 3-5 week wait. His other stuff there has free shipping and just a few days wait. Yes, I am a prime member, and I emailed him and hopefully an answer soon.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:06 PM   #19

Customer service here is oustanding. He replied to me on a Sunday, and this is his reply . I had him bill me directly, and paid it today.

Thanks for getting back to me!

The delay in shipping is due to several things:

I’ve got lots of RV manufacturer orders (the Fixers are now shipping on several RV brands as standard equipment) and they’re scheduled orders can tie up all my equipment for weeks.

But, the designs that I just don’t sell too many of I manufacture to order. With very low sales volume the storage costs on the Amazon warehouse would quickly have me in the hole.

I also suffer from raw material shortages like most industries right now. I went for 4 months unable to order the plastic to fabricate my parts. My injection molding contractor had the same problem - I couldn’t get any parts from him for most of this year.

The last factor is that we too are RVers, and travel frequently. So, many times when folks order something we are on the road.

But for this particular design, the sales have surpassed the rate that I need to convert this design to Fulfilled by Amazon (FBA). I’ve got a whole bunch of them that will be finished fabricating sometime tomorrow (barring equipment failure - it happens). Once I have enough built, I’ll convert the design to FBA and it will be able to ship quickly. The downside is as soon as I start the process to convert It to FBA, Amazon will shut off my ability to sell it directly through them (one of several gripes I have with Amazon). This Amazon deadband can last weeks.

So, if you place your order soon, I should have it shipped out by mid week. If it shows “Unavailable” the FBA conversion has begun - if this happens, just contact me at this email address and I’ll sell it to you directly, and I’ll have it on the way quickly!

I’ll look into the Prime issue and get that fixed. In the meantime just let me know if you’d like to order directly and I’ll invoice you for $79.99 (USA shipping included). Please let me know your shipping address.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:17 PM   #20

The fixers shipped today, and he sent me a tracking number. Customer service is outstanding, here is what he said.

he installation video is on the product page at: https://www.amazon.com/Fridge-Fixer-...ef_=ast_sto_dp

If you run into anyone who needs this design, they are currently shown as Unavailable - I'm converting them to "Fulfilled by Amazon". I've got stock inbound to their warehouses, but they will not show as available until Amazon finishes processing them. If anyone needs one soon, just give them my email address and I'll take care of them!
Thanks!
Carl

Please let me know if you have any questions, or ever need anything for your Fridge Fixer.