Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #1

Residential refrigerator / generator / Goodyear tire trip report

So here is a report on several items. We ordered and took delivery of our 355MBQS last year, getting it in April of 2017. Thought I would report here on some items of interest in case others are looking for help on making decisions on refrigerators, tires, generators etc. Before we ordered the camper I talked myself into the residential frig, but still had reservations. After having it for a year and just returning from our big trip this year, I'm glad I did it. Our trip was Ohio to California and back, 6200 miles total with 5 different campgrounds. Our trip home was San Francisco to Ohio, about 2400 miles. We drove this over 3 days with 2 nights (about 5 or 6 hours) spent at Walmarts. My setup, towing with 2016 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW with factory puck setup and factory trailer plug in the bed along with a B&W hitch. Trailer has Xantrex 1000 watt inverter and 2 Interstate deep cycle 12 volt batteries. The fridge is a Frigidaire Gallery, I don't know the model. The camper has the gen prep and last winter I installed an Onan 5500 Marquis generator, it's an old generator that got converted from gas to LP, paid way less than 1/2 of new for it. Tires are the Goodyear Endurance (came on the trailer when new), have to say I'm very impressed with these. We were towing in 113 degree weather in NV, 70-75 mph (for the speed police, the tire has a speed rating of N, 87mph) We have close to 10k miles on them now and honestly they don't even look worn. I will definitely replace these with the Goodyear Endurance again. Now the refrigerator, a Frigidaire Gallery. The truck is factory wiring so it will charge the batteries while traveling, I don't know the size of the wire and I have done a lot of reading on here and other forums that the wiring isn't large enough to charge the batteries. Well my opinion is that the setup works very well. We went for 52 hours without being connected to shore power. In that time we ran the generator twice while sleeping, 6 hours the first night and 5 hours the second. The batteries never dropped below 12.5 volts while travelling on the road and the refrigerator always showed the freezer temp as 0 and the refrigerator as 33. We did use the generator for maybe another hour total because we used it to run the microwave when warming up lunch or dinner when we stopped for fuel. So far I'm very happy with the residential refrigerator and wouldn't go back. For anyone wondering about propane usage, we did use a 40lb propane tank using the generator the 11 or 12 hours, we were running the AC when parked at night. Also have to report on the truck, this is my first diesel and I have to say I'm very impressed by that also. We set the cruise and it didn't matter the terrain, up hill or down, the truck always maintained. According to the truck we averaged 10.1 MPG over the entire trip. One more item, as far as towing a 5th wheel, so much better than a travel trailer. I towed a travel trailer for 8 years prior and have towed and backed bumper pull trailers for the last 30 years, the 5th wheel is much easier, it does take some getting used to backing it.
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #2

Glad to hear this report.

I got a 2018 355MBQS this year with residential fridge. Have to remember to turn the inverter on but other than that, flawless.

Tow rig is a 2015 Denali 3500HD SRW and pulls with no issue.

May add bags just to level out the stance but not needed unless I am running full fresh tank to a no water site.

Where is you generator mounted. Not ready for one yet but may in the future.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #3

Hi Rckcrwlr,

I leave the inverter on all the time. In fact, mine has lights that show if it is on "utility" or battery. Never have to worry about remembering to turn it on that way. I do have an issue every now and then, sometimes when the trailer gets unplugged from shore power or the generator gets shut off the inverter will show an error of E05 and won't supply electric. Simply shutting off the inverter and turning it back on fixes the problem. I ordered our 355 with the gen prep, so the front compartment was already prepped for the generator (removeable floor, steel box, power connection etc.)
Old 07-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #4

Oh355mbqs,

Your review was very helpful for me. We’re picking up our new 317RLOK next week and it also has a residential fridge. Like you we were hesitant at first to go with the residential fridge.

Also, we’ll be towing our first fifth wheel (we’ve always had tt’s) with a Ford 2015 F-350 SRW diesel which is comparable to your tow vehicle. So that too was very helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough and helpful review. I wish you all the best with your new FW and lots of fun and great memories with it.
Dascro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:18 PM   #5

I have a 2018 355MBQS ..... Have you had any issues with the mid-bunk room being a lot warmer than the rest of the trailer? There is only one vent outlet in that room and it hot. We tried using a fan but still not helping a lot. I will note that when both A/C units are on the air flow is better but still stays much warmer. Anyone got any mods for this issue???
Thanks!!!
ronnieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:36 AM   #6

Oh355mbqs
Just noticed you are from Lima. I was there several weeks ago for the 4WD Jamboree.

Small world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieb View Post
I have a 2018 355MBQS ..... Have you had any issues with the mid-bunk room being a lot warmer than the rest of the trailer? There is only one vent outlet in that room and it hot. We tried using a fan but still not helping a lot. I will note that when both A/C units are on the air flow is better but still stays much warmer. Anyone got any mods for this issue???
Thanks!!!
Ronnieb
I have had no complaints from the guests that stayed there. I do close the bedroom vents due to the fact that I use the 2nd ac.
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh355mbqs View Post
. . . Trailer has Xantrex 1000 watt inverter and 2 Interstate deep cycle 12 volt batteries. The fridge is a Frigidaire Gallery, I don't know the model . . . We went for 52 hours without being connected to shore power. In that time we ran the generator twice while sleeping, 6 hours the first night and 5 hours the second. The batteries never dropped below 12.5 volts while travelling on the road and the refrigerator always showed the freezer temp as 0 and the refrigerator as 33. We did use the generator for maybe another hour total because we used it to run the microwave when warming up lunch or dinner when we stopped for fuel. So far I'm very happy with the residential refrigerator and wouldn't go back . . .
Informative trip report, oh355mbqs, thanks!

FWIW, you had an ideal situation while traveling with your residential frig. During those 52 hours you ran your generator for 6 and 5 hours each night while sleeping (and the hour while stopped for fuel). The converter easily charged both your batteries to at least 90-95% (~12.65 volts) both nights. Plus, your truck was supplementing your trailer (and batteries) with 5-10 amps of current the whole time you were driving. I'd guess-estimate your frig was only being powered by your trailer batteries alone for maybe 8-10 hours a day (in the morning before departing, and in the evening after finishing your drive for the day). Under these conditions it's not surprising your battery voltage never dropped below 12.5 volts.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh355mbqs View Post
Hi Rckcrwlr,

I leave the inverter on all the time. In fact, mine has lights that show if it is on "utility" or battery. Never have to worry about remembering to turn it on that way. I do have an issue every now and then, sometimes when the trailer gets unplugged from shore power or the generator gets shut off the inverter will show an error of E05 and won't supply electric. Simply shutting off the inverter and turning it back on fixes the problem. I ordered our 355 with the gen prep, so the front compartment was already prepped for the generator (removeable floor, steel box, power connection etc.)
I have a 16 377, am getting the E05 code when powering on the system on the wall without the fridge on either. I have no on/of button on the inverter itself just the wall. Any tips to reset it? Have tried black reset button on the inverter too. I have unplugged the batteries. Thanks
Old 09-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieb View Post
Thanks!!!
Try these for a possible solution:

Modify A/C vents for better airflow - #561, 1305, 1300
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post496282
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post550147
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post549736

After looking at both units, the AC flow looks very similar and this might be what you need.

2019 North Point 377RLBH
2017 KZ Venom Toy Hauler (STOLEN, Recovered, CRUSHED)
2010 Sabre 32BHOK (Traded in on Venom)
1978 StarCraft PopUp (Long gone)
artoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:44 AM   #10

Hello Oh355mbqs,

We just purchased a used 2017 355mbqs in September. Have used it twice and love this camper.
I stumbled upon this thread and got excited because you own the same exact camper.
I’m having the dealer winterize my camper only because the residential refrigerator has me too nervous and I don’t want to screw anything up.
Do you winterize your own camper? If so, I’d love to know how you do it so I don’t have to pay someone next season.
I’ve got the Frigidaire with ice maker.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Snake4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #11

Hi snake4hire,

I have always winterized the camper myself. Did my travel trailer and now the 355. Did you get the owners manual with the camper? It has very detailed instructions for winterizing everything including the fridge, washer dryer etc. Just follow the directions and everything should be good. I’m getting ready to install a Splendide combo washer dryer, I’ll have to add to my report after I get it working
Old 10-27-2019, 12:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake4Hire View Post
Hello Oh355mbqs,

We just purchased a used 2017 355mbqs in September. Have used it twice and love this camper.
I stumbled upon this thread and got excited because you own the same exact camper.
I’m having the dealer winterize my camper only because the residential refrigerator has me too nervous and I don’t want to screw anything up.
Do you winterize your own camper? If so, I’d love to know how you do it so I don’t have to pay someone next season.
I’ve got the Frigidaire with ice maker.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
We have the Frigidaire with ice maker. If you received the manual, make sure to following the directions. If you didn't, try searching Jayco's web site for archived items.

We have always winterized our unit. With the residential fridge, DW was excited to have cold water & ice. When she helped me winterize the unit the 1st time, she said absolutely no more. You need to blow out the line, cycle the ice maker, wipe it out, etc. It took us close to an hour to winterize.

Good luck.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:13 PM   #13

I just pulled out the owners manual. Not sure how I missed the winterization section under plumbing but it’s all there.
I’m not feeling much better about things after looking it over to be honest? Probably because there are very few pictures.
Not sure if Jayco has a step by step video but that’s going to be better for me then reading these instructions.
Ugh..
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
Snake4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:33 AM   #14

We have the 2019 355MBQS and the bunk room is also warmer. Our service guy told us that they see alot of trailers come through with the wiring on the main AC unit reversed (auto hi cool is actually auto lo cool, and vice versa). Checked ours and sure enough, it was too. Fixed that and it helped some, but it's still warmer just because of the single vent.