Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #1

Angry Restless night-Help! LPG/Co alarm going off all night!

We are on our third trip with our 2011 Jayco Eagle HT Superlite 26.5 RLS. We absolutely love it. Traded up from a Keystone Cougar 24.4 in 12/11. However, on two separate trips, last night included, we were kept awake by the SafeTAlert CO/LPG alarm going off and on all night. The first two times we got up to check to make sure there were no leaks and that there was plenty of ventilation to avoid CO. After the first time we had the dealer service department check for propane leaks to make sure there wasn't a problem. No LPG leaks. It is summer and we are camping with full hook ups, so no open flame - no CO.

Anyone else have this problem? We are ready to cut the wires and throw the thing out.
blesenerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #2

Take it off the wall and check behind it for the manufacture date. These have a five year life and if it had sat in the dealers or factory shelf for very long it may be already expired.

If it is a date that should not be expired yet then contact the alarm company, like Kidde, and if it is malfunctioning then they may replace it free or at a reduced cost.

I had one that was failing in my S&B and they replaced it. WM did not have any that were not over 2 years old on the shelf so I ordered one from the manufacturer and it was only 4 months old. Cost a little more but worth the extra life.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesenerfamily View Post
We are on our third trip with our 2011 Jayco Eagle HT Superlite 26.5 RLS. We absolutely love it. Traded up from a Keystone Cougar 24.4 in 12/11. However, on two separate trips, last night included, we were kept awake by the SafeTAlert CO/LPG alarm going off and on all night. The first two times we got up to check to make sure there were no leaks and that there was plenty of ventilation to avoid CO. After the first time we had the dealer service department check for propane leaks to make sure there wasn't a problem. No LPG leaks. It is summer and we are camping with full hook ups, so no open flame - no CO.

Anyone else have this problem? We are ready to cut the wires and throw the thing out.
I think it is the brand of alarm. I had the same thing happen on my 2011 Eagle Super Lite and the date was still good. Dealer replaced it under warranty. Now with this 2012 it has happened twice already. Like you I have never been able to find any leaks.

It has always been the LP alarm that has tripped...never the CO alarm.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Site Team

It should be under warranty and replaced without question.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #5

Thanks all....we'll talk to the dealer. What is interesting is that it only goes off in the middle of the night. Figures.
blesenerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #6

It Should also detect Methane. Mine is doing the same thing two weekends in a row. There is a light odor under the kitchen sink area. I suspect a bad seal on the black tank allowing gas to accumulate in this cabinet then tripping the detector. Dealer Contacted we will see what happens..
rheyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #7

Hi, I was wondering if you have any thing you don't like about your 26.5 rig? I am thinking of upgrading to this size 5th wheel. I currently own a TT. Does the slantes ceiling in the bedroom bother you at all?

Kathie

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #8

Maybe get two of them - if both go off at same time must be real alert... If only one goes off then it probably is a false alarm for some reason. Unplug that guy and worry about it in the morning...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #9

dealer replaced mine no more issues
rheyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheyco View Post
It Should also detect Methane.
If that's the case, then just don't eat so many beans. :hihi:
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheyco View Post
dealer replaced mine no more issues
Mine went off again yesterday and the dealer has a new one on order. The date stamped on the back beside the word "Maintenance" was July 22, 2011. SOOOO is that the manufactured date or the date it should have been replaced? I know it says on the front that is good for five years...."after retail sale'.