Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2020, 12:48 AM   #81

Well, I was able to go out today and install my hitch, so far I'm please but I would need to take it out on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3358.JPG   DSCN3362.JPG   DSCN3364.JPG   DSCN3367.JPG   DSCN3369.JPG  

Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:32 AM   #82

Yes I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
you know the hitch comes apart in 2 pieces right ? the top kingpin part, and then the lower base unit. No way I would want to lift the unit as a whole.
Yes I know it comes apart, I put it together when it arrived. I was kind of showing off to the wife, the old man still has it (right). Once was enough though.
John Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:52 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Well, I was able to go out today and install my hitch, so far I'm please but I would need to take it out on the road.
Nice setup! How's your turn clearance? Been able to check that yet? Looks like the lowest setting and positioned to the rear?
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:53 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Nice setup! How's your turn clearance? Been able to check that yet? Looks like the lowest setting and positioned to the rear?

Well, I didn't take it out but I did some measurements and from the cab to the middle of the hitch is 41" and from the kingpin to the side is 48" so I figure that's about 80 to 85% backing up radius which I'm alright with that.

Now the one question I do have if you know is which position of the draw down bolt take the hitch back toward the tailgate when the bolt closest to the funnel or the farther from the funnel? I know that you have a long bed so it wouldn't matter to you.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:02 AM   #85

Quote:
Well, I didn't take it out but I did some measurements and from the cab to the middle of the hitch is 41" and from the kingpin to the side is 48" so I figure that's about 80 to 85% backing up radius which I'm alright with that.

Now the one question I do have if you know is which position of the draw down bolt take the hitch back toward the tailgate when the bolt closest to the funnel or the farther from the funnel? I know that you have a long bed so it wouldn't matter to you.
Are you talking about the drawdown nut with the cotter pin on the hitch?
Old 03-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #86

Yes, I am talking about that bolt.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:00 PM   #87

Quote:
Yes, I am talking about that bolt.
I don't know why I even asked the question. I don't know the answer to it either way, lol. Sorry. But you're right, with the longbed it doesn't really matter. And actually, since the dealership installed the hitch at delivery, all I knew was everything worked. I didn't even remove the hitch for nine months, lol, thinking I was gonna screw something up! So I'm no help.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:43 PM   #88

Quote:
I don't know why I even asked the question. I don't know the answer to it either way, lol. Sorry. But you're right, with the longbed it doesn't really matter. And actually, since the dealership installed the hitch at delivery, all I knew was everything worked. I didn't even remove the hitch for nine months, lol, thinking I was gonna screw something up! So I'm no help.

Lol, okay so good, did your dealer setup chain for your setup, I didn't see them so I guess not? I have found that some people are saying that you should have chains with this setup but I figure if you have to have them Pullrite would have offered them.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:58 PM   #89

Quote:
Lol, okay so good, did your dealer setup chain for your setup, I didn't see them so I guess not? I have found that some people are saying that you should have chains with this setup but I figure if you have to have them Pullrite would have offered them.
No, no safety chains are needed. It's considered a fifth wheel hitch, not like a gooseneck. The Andersen Ultimate requires safety chains. Not ours.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:27 PM   #90

Yeah, I thought so I need to take my 5th wheel back to the dealer this week I have a bulb seal that's coming lose up by the king pin and I want to get it in before the camping season. I can get a chance to take it out and see how much can I turn before I hit the cab.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:06 PM   #91

Quote:
Yeah, I thought so I need to take my 5th wheel back to the dealer this week I have a bulb seal that's coming lose up by the king pin and I want to get it in before the camping season. I can get a chance to take it out and see how much can I turn before I hit the cab.
That's good. Then you'll know. You should be able to get a good turn out of it, hopefully.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:44 PM   #92

Yes, I'm hoping to get some good turn, and I don't need to get 90% if I can just drive and do the standard turns I will be okay. I mainly stay at the military campground and resort which most of their spaces are pretty good, I will come back and let you know.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:56 PM   #93

Quote:
No, no safety chains are needed. It's considered a fifth wheel hitch, not like a gooseneck. The Andersen Ultimate requires safety chains. Not ours.
This may be correct in your state but in Ontario any hitch combination using a ball requires safety chains. I'm sure there are other states and provinces with the same law
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:20 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbellis View Post
Goosebox, Goosebox, Goosebox! I can't stress it enough. I love mine. The best thing I've purchased for my trailer. Once you are unhooked pull the ball out and put it in the case it comes with and store it under the seat, takes all of a minute to do. The only drawback I've found with mine is you have to raise the trailer higher to get it to clear the ball, the landing gear is super slow to raise it so it takes a little longer to unhook but that's it.

It also has an airbag and shocks in it so it makes your ride quality way better.

Bottom line it is worth every penny you'll pay for it.

I installed a Goosebox on our camper late last year. Only one haul with it so far, but a much better tow and my bed was empty when I unhooked the camper.

I am looking for a better way to hook up the chains. As it is I have to climb into the bed of the truck with the camper connected to hook/unhook the chains. On the GB FB group several folks have modified the chains by adding a clevis hook at the other end and putting lifting eyes where you normally bolts the chains. My concern with that approach is lifting chains are designed for straight pulls, not angle pulls.

Another person came up with a long "handle" approach so he could connect the hooks onto the truck from the back. Hopefully I've attached a couple of pictures of what he had.

Have you come up with something or isn't it an issue for you?
Attached Thumbnails
Remote Chain Handle 1.jpg   Remote Chain Handle 2.jpg  
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:05 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
This may be correct in your state but in Ontario any hitch combination using a ball requires safety chains. I'm sure there are other states and provinces with the same law
Nope. Not according to Pullrite. The Superlite is considered a fifth wheel hitch, not a gooseneck setup. Got no idea what Canada requires. I'm licensed and plated in Texas and don't advise anything outside the state of Texas. I have no problems with safety chains and know they serve an important purpose. And if they were required by law, I would have them. They're not.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:10 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman44 View Post

I just use this for my Andersen chains.

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T...4320862&sr=8-3
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:45 PM   #97

Quote:
Nope. Not according to Pullrite. The Superlite is considered a fifth wheel hitch, not a gooseneck setup. Got no idea what Canada requires. I'm licensed and plated in Texas and don't advise anything outside the state of Texas. I have no problems with safety chains and know they serve an important purpose. And if they were required by law, I would have them. They're not.

Good deal and if our state required them for my setup I would get them in a heartbeat, I don't want to put my and others' life in harm's way. So far I'm loving this setup and can't wait to tow with it.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:47 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman44 View Post
I installed a Goosebox on our camper late last year. Only one haul with it so far, but a much better tow and my bed was empty when I unhooked the camper.

I am looking for a better way to hook up the chains. As it is I have to climb into the bed of the truck with the camper connected to hook/unhook the chains. On the GB FB group several folks have modified the chains by adding a clevis hook at the other end and putting lifting eyes where you normally bolts the chains. My concern with that approach is lifting chains are designed for straight pulls, not angle pulls.

Another person came up with a long "handle" approach so he could connect the hooks onto the truck from the back. Hopefully I've attached a couple of pictures of what he had.

Nice setup, I was thinking about going this way before I started my quest but I didn't want to have to try to sell my MorRyde hitch when I had just sold my B&W Companion hitch.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:03 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I just use this for my Andersen chains.

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T...4320862&sr=8-3

Thanks, I'll check this out. I have a dually so it is a long reach in from the side.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:04 PM   #100

Okay, guys, I have an update on my Pullrite 2600 I added some chains to my hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3376.JPG   DSCN3377.JPG   DSCN3384.JPG   DSCN3380.JPG   DSCN3386.JPG