Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2019, 07:38 AM   #1

returning member 27.5rlts?

Hello All.
We owned a jayco until 2012 have purchased two other campers a zinger and an elkridge since owning the jayco. We are in the process of searching for a new fith wheel The elkridge is 38 foot and we think we would like something smaller are looking at possible purchasing the Eagle 27.5 RLTS. Any pros and cons for this unit? WE will be towing with a ford 250 diesel.
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:19 PM   #2

We downsized from a 35' Jayco FW to a 27.5 RLTS in 2017.

The 2017 is 4' shorter and weighs 1,800 lbs less than our old Jayco FW, making it a really nice fit with our 3/4 ton truck. Almost all of that lost 4' space came out of the bedroom, bathroom, and closet which makes for tight quarters walking around the bed and finding room to hang clothes.

That said, the living area works great for us and the shorter, lighter trailer makes towing and maneuvering a nicer experience. We've been very happy with the floor plan, even though I did have to reinforce the bed and replace that lumpy rectangular thing Jayco called a mattress.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #3

I think ours is a 16. Same as pp. Bed room bit short but not quite as bad as it is narrow or needs a little smaller bed. Just not quite enough room to get in and out of bed easily and that silly step up they have just past the foot of the bed which isn't really a problem until you get up in the middle of the night and forget about it. We have not had an issue with the storage in it but I certainly see how it could be as there is not a ton in the bed/bath area but enough for us. We backpacked for years so we are normally on the light side at least on the inside of the trailer I have no problem loading up the basement storage. The living area is great for us in fact one of the main reasons we got it. We were looking hard at a 26xxx and when my wife walked into the 27 she just flat out told me no 26 this is the one so that's the one we got. Perhaps we have been fortunate but we had some warranty issues up front but since then all has been good for the last few years.

I towed with my 01 ram 2500 and it towed fine. With our new, well new when we got it 17 ram 3500 it tows it even better. I do not know what the current advertised pin weight is, our year was like 1500ish lbs but with the hitch and loaded up ready to go with a little water 5/10 gal and empty grey and black tanks along with a few items in the truck bed max 200lbs probably less it pushes 2100lbs, our b and w hitch is in the neighborhood of 175lbs so the pin weight certainly creeps up there before you know it. May very well get somewhat lighter pin with a full water tank since it is back by the rear axle going towards the rear of the trailer.

I have upped the tire size from the 245/75/15 to 235/80/16 and from load range d to e. I believe that is an option now and have heard that the upgraded oem are the Goodyear Endurance tires which is what I went with. So far so good no issues with them at all and plenty of spare load capacity, though I do not know which size/load rating they use in the oem upgrade/option beyond 16 inch wheels. We also went with the 50amp service, the 15k ac and the 2nd ac unit prep just in case. We are normally in the mountains where high heat and humidity is not usually a problem but mid-high 80's the single 15k ac so far has been fine for our needs. Might be different if you were in a high heat and or high humidity area.

All in all been pretty happy with it.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
27.5rlts