Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #11

We have a method we learned decades ago when our family was a member of the Starcraft camping Club, and no one has ever had black water tank issue in our family since.

After dumping the black tank, add about 2 gallons of water to the tank then add a few ounces of PineSol. We never measure, so I would guess we add about 2-4 ounces per application. We leave the solution in the tank until our next dump. This way as we travel the solution sloshes around in the tank and ensures the sensors are kept clean.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #12

A lot of folks I know who use enzyme based black tank treatments dump their black tank at the start of their trip instead of at the end. This allows the enzymes to do their thing over time. Regardless what you use it seems like the cheap ole' OEM sensors go bad in short order no matter what method is used.

Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmay25 View Post
A lot of folks I know who use enzyme based black tank treatments dump their black tank at the start of their trip instead of at the end. This allows the enzymes to do their thing over time. Regardless what you use it seems like the cheap ole' OEM sensors go bad in short order no matter what method is used.
My black at nk sensors still work well after 9+ years. The gray tank sensors are flaky.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
You all make good points, so think I'll forget the idea of Rid-X. MHbell - I looked at your recipe, and like the looks of it. My main concern is with the black tank, and the sensor readings. I can get an empty reading just after dumping, but an hour later, the sensor can read up to 3/4 full, even though nothing has been added to the tank. And since the 5er tank is not directly under the toilet, the bend in the pipe prevents visual confirmation of the tank level. Will try this recipe and see if it helps. Thanks everyone for your helpful advice.
The whole idea of the solution that I mix up is to keep odors at bay, Lubricate the valves, and clean the tank and sensors. I always make sure the tank is at least 3/4th full before dumping even if I have to add water to it. If the unit is going to be sitting very long or stored. Make sure the tank is emptied otherwise the contents will dry out and you will really have a problem trying to clean it. I know of people who had to get new tanks because the unit set for months without the tank being emptied. After the tank is emptied put in some of the mix that I recommended with a couple of Gals of water. Another thing you might try is to buy a flexible wand that you hook a water hose to and put it down the toilet. The end spins with a jet of high pressure water and will clean the walls and sensors in the tank. You can buy them at Most Walmart stores.
Mel

http://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote