Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2022, 09:24 AM   #1

Roadmaster Shock Absorbers

After several long trips with our 2020 Jayco Pinnacle 5er my wife had enough replacing dishes in the cabinets. After considering many options, I elected to install the Roadmaster Comfort Ride Shock Absorber system. Installation was straight forward and made much easier with a 90 degree drill and short drill bit. Because the axels are mounted above the leaf spring the extension plates were not needed. Finding the proper 30 degree angle with weight on and at ride height proved interesting. This was challenging but made easier by a jig made at 14.5” with bolts to simulate the shock. Once the first shock was installed to achieve the 30 degree angle the rest could be measured using the center of the equalizer as a datum for the other upper frame brackets. We used the leveling system with heavy duty jack stands to raise and lower the rig as I couldn’t get enough stroke on my floor jack. This could have been a one man job but was certainly easier with two! Total installation time was about 5 hours including fabricating the jig and several coffee breaks. Now for the road test as we head to Florida next week!
Attached Thumbnails
516F8A81-1356-4662-B0C9-CB7CE025E606.jpg  
Wemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wemet View Post
After several long trips with our 2020 Jayco Pinnacle 5er my wife had enough replacing dishes in the cabinets. After considering many options, I elected to install the Roadmaster Comfort Ride Shock Absorber system. Installation was straight forward and made much easier with a 90 degree drill and short drill bit. Because the axels are mounted above the leaf spring the extension plates were not needed. Finding the proper 30 degree angle with weight on and at ride height proved interesting. This was challenging but made easier by a jig made at 14.5” with bolts to simulate the shock. Once the first shock was installed to achieve the 30 degree angle the rest could be measured using the center of the equalizer as a datum for the other upper frame brackets. We used the leveling system with heavy duty jack stands to raise and lower the rig as I couldn’t get enough stroke on my floor jack. This could have been a one man job but was certainly easier with two! Total installation time was about 5 hours including fabricating the jig and several coffee breaks. Now for the road test as we head to Florida next week!
Nice job!! I've had the Roadmaster shocks on our Pinnacle for 3 years and couldn't be more pleased. Our 5er takes the bumps better than our RAM 3500!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Nice job!! I've had the Roadmaster shocks on our Pinnacle for 3 years and couldn't be more pleased. Our 5er takes the bumps better than our RAM 3500!

We had ours put in last week. We were having disk brakes installed and when I found out they could install roadmasters as well - that day- I did not blink at the $1,100 additional. Really pleased with both. Lucky for me, my House Ways and Means Committee will almost always approve the funds when it comes to family safety- esp. with four cats in the back when we tow!

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
We had ours put in last week. We were having disk brakes installed and when I found out they could install roadmasters as well - that day- I did not blink at the $1,100 additional. Really pleased with both. Lucky for me, my House Ways and Means Committee will almost always approve the funds when it comes to family safety- esp. with four cats in the back when we tow!Angus
Good for you Angus! Disc brakes are on my list!
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 02-17-2022, 12:16 PM   #5

I put my set on about a month ago and the difference is pretty dramatic. My 2020 32RLTS has the springs above the axles. I'm not sure of the logic of mine being opposite of yours.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_0286.jpg  
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:27 AM   #6

We are picking up our Eagle 319MLOK this weekend and I'm looking into adding the Roadmaster shock setup to our new rig. Has anyone looked into or actually installed the Comfort Ride Leaf springs along with the shocks?? I'm trying to figure out if they help to improve ride and are worth the added cost or if they are a placebo product. Thanks
iFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:38 AM   #7

Nice install, what was the kit model number? What model pinnacle did you put this on?
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 09:53 PM   #8

Looks like the upper brackets are fastened to a 2x2 tube with, I bet, self tapping bolts. Watch those bolts carefully as they probably won’t stay tight. You may end up welding nuts to a plate, and sliding it into the tube so the bolts have something solid to tighten into- been there, had to do that.
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:15 PM   #9
eow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstannard View Post
Looks like the upper brackets are fastened to a 2x2 tube with, I bet, self tapping bolts. Watch those bolts carefully as they probably won’t stay tight. You may end up welding nuts to a plate, and sliding it into the tube so the bolts have something solid to tighten into- been there, had to do that.

Ditto on the need for a nut plate since the wall of the tube is too thin to anchor to with the self tapping screws. Roadmaster tech support will give you the same advice if you talk with them.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:34 PM   #10

For the upper brackets I used 4 plates I fashioned from 1 1/2 inch X 1/4 inch steel stock I got at Lowe's. I tapped the holes with 3/8 thread for the grade 8 bolts I also got at Lowe's. I made a template from a piece of half inch plywood to mark the holes for drilling into the 2 inch tube. I drilled them at 7/16 and then used a fish to pull the plates into the tube with some fishing line. All 4 plates lined up perfectly and got them torqued to the recommend 40 pounds with no issues. I have my doubts that using the self tapping screws that come in the kit would hold very long in the 1/8th thick steel on the tube.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:16 AM   #11
eow

Roadmaster Shock Absorbers

I did something similar as F350guy, as per tech support’s recommendation.
BTW: the thin tube is at .12 thk, so at 16 thread per inch, there is only 3 threads of engagement using the the self tappers. Disaster waiting to happen. Typically you want the thread engagement length to equal the thread diameter. In this case, 3/8”.

Here is a link describing how I mounted mine: Roadmaster 2460 Shock Kit Install on Jayco HT FW
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 03-01-2022, 06:31 AM   #12

Originally I was skeptical of self tapping bolts. After researching them they do cut there own threads but they are a standard pitch for 3/8 bolts. For our install we didn’t just run them in and call it good. After initially threading them in, they were removed, deburred and Orange thread lock applied before final install and torque to the higher end of the range.
In addition to that our axle is mounted above the leaf springs. We choose to mount the shocks with slightly more than the recommended angle because that allowed us to mount directly from the frame to the leaf spring perch. The only other deviation was an additional spacer that was required because the shoulder of the shock mount bolts provided were too long by 3mm.
I will check the bolts to ensure they stay tight. After 500 miles they look good.

Dan and Becky
2019 Pinnacle 36FBTS
2021 F-350 Diesel
Wemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally I was skeptical of self tapping bolts. After researching them they do cut there own threads but they are a standard pitch for 3/8 bolts. For our install we didn’t just run them in and call it good. After initially threading them in, they were removed, deburred and Orange thread lock applied before final install and torque to the higher end of the range.
In addition to that our axle is mounted above the leaf springs. We choose to mount the shocks with slightly more than the recommended angle because that allowed us to mount directly from the frame to the leaf spring perch. The only other deviation was an additional spacer that was required because the shoulder of the shock mount bolts provided were too long by 3mm.
I will check the bolts to ensure they stay tight. After 500 miles they look good.

Dan and Becky
2019 Pinnacle 36FBTS
2021 F-350 Diesel
Wouldn't it also be a good idea to use lock washers on the bolts?
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 03-03-2022, 03:28 AM   #14

Interesting accessory, I had no idea. My RAM your twin only a 2018. It's a tow animal. Need it for my 45' Seismic!
WFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:04 AM   #15

I have a 2020 Eagle Hy 30.5 CKTS with CRE 3000 suspension upgrade. After Two long summer trips, and lots of big bumps on major roads, especially on bridges, I decided to have the road master gas shock system installed by a local custom truck company in town. It cost me $650 but worth every penny. I have only driven it a few miles since the install and can already see and feel the difference. It rides so level even going over speed bumps. Looking forward to this summers 3 month trip and will post updates after we get some miles on it.
Texasnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:40 PM   #16
eow

Quote:

Dan and Becky
2019 Pinnacle 36FBTS
2021 F-350 Diesel

I suggest keeping an eye it.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 03-03-2022, 07:50 PM   #17

Threadlocker?… ya that’ll do it?
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 11:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasnick View Post
I have a 2020 Eagle Hy 30.5 CKTS with CRE 3000 suspension upgrade. After Two long summer trips, and lots of big bumps on major roads, especially on bridges, I decided to have the road master gas shock system installed by a local custom truck company in town. It cost me $650 but worth every penny. I have only driven it a few miles since the install and can already see and feel the difference. It rides so level even going over speed bumps. Looking forward to this summers 3 month trip and will post updates after we get some miles on it.
Did you not have the shock prep package on your trailer from the factory? Our 2020 HT 28.5rsts did and all I had to do was buy the shocks and install them myself. Very simple job. But made a heck of a difference in the ride quality and control of the trailer.
mavrick0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shock system, smoother ride