Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #1

Roof bulge...is this normal?

I have a 2016 36FBTS that is still under warranty. Over the summer, I noticed my trailer has what appears to be several seam protrusions that are very obvious along the curved roof edge on both driver and passenger sides. With road vibration and friction, I am worried that the thin roof material eventually will fail/leak over the protruding seam areas.

I do know that the bulges were not present when I purchased the unit nor did I notice them last season. Today, I brought the trailer in to my local Jayco dealer for winterizing and asked them to repair the protruding roof seams. The "service advisor" gave one of those (here's another idiot) looks and then firmly stated that protruding seams along the edges and across the roof are a completely normal condition and are no cause for me to be concerned about. I didn't buy it and insisted that he have a tech inspect the entire roof and report back.

I've attached some pictures (below) of one of the roof edge seams (I have several). Is this normal? I'd appreciate any and all feedback as I am a retired cop and RV roofs are not exactly my area of expertise.

Thanks in advance,
Attached Thumbnails
20170816_132423.jpg   20170816_132454.jpg  
Carnation, Washington
Dogrunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:07 PM   #2

Hmm...the seems a bit pronounced, I do see that on mine but from your photos I don’t think mine are that pronounced. I do happen to have 2 air pockets on the side of mine in the front right where the roof material connects to the gutter track. Asked my dealer about that and got the same response you did and I also had them check the entire roof. Lucky for me my repair ticket shows my concern about the roof and the techs response saying roof was okay. I will be holding on to that.

2017 NorthPoint 377RLBH
2017 F350 FX4 DRW 6.7 PSD
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGW...jCx2yKWbNHxFpQ
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I would agree that in some cases the EPDM rubber roofing material can highlight some base structural seams...., but IMO your pics represent a condition above the norm..., almost appears to be stressing the EPDM material.

If it were my FW I would be forwarding pics directly to Jayco and make note that you are presently addressing the issue with your RV dealership (give name).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #4
DAD

I have the same seam problem as pictured, only worse. I have air pockets down the length of both sides where the luan has lifted off the roof, also second time staples sticking up stressing the rubber membrane. Will be at factory later in Oct. Will post results.
DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #5

Dad
I will be at the factory Oct 10 for roof replacement due to several staple holes. At colder temps my Luann lifts down the sides and looks like a big ridge.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #6

Dad
What unit do U have
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #7

My unit does not have the roof material over that, but rather the roof ends at a seam atop and the flashing is exposed. Jayco did this for 1-2 years and are now back to covering right over the flashing used to get that rounded look. If I were to bet I would say that they did not seal or cover that edge with anything to reduce the risk of tear out.

On the plus side your seam is on the side of the camper and easily maintained. A simple piece of eternabond over that seam prior to applying the roofing material would have made that a whole lot better of seam with limited issues.

My seam has recently had the screws backing up out of the Dicor that required my attention to multiple. Also that seam had to be resealed 2x's due to some minor gaping. Wish mine went all the way over like my 2011 did.

There have been members here with screws under the roof leftover and I believe it was not rectified. Keep an eye on it and a roll of eternabond on hand.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #8

I have staples showing under my roofing. Dealer said until they poke through there is nothing they can do. This is crazy! when they do work there way out its on me and its there fault!
rbintheup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #9

This is why I never go upon the roof, thus I never experience these issues!!!! I practice the same logic with my vehicles. I hear a rattle, squeak, or knock, I turn the radio volume up. That usually fixes the noise!!!!!
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:49 AM   #10

I never give my roof a thought other than washing it with Dawn and a soft brush twice a year just to get the dirt off. And caulking? I never think about that either. Why can I get away with this lack of roof maintenance?

2 years ago my 5 year old rubber roof membrane failed. My solution: RV Flex Armor (RVRoof | Home of the original sprayed RV Roof). No more expensive than a new rubber roof and darn well worth it.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:44 AM   #11
DAD

15 pinnacle 36 fbts
DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:48 AM   #12

No, this is not normal.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogrunr View Post
I have a 2016 36FBTS that is still under warranty. Over the summer, I noticed my trailer has what appears to be several seam protrusions that are very obvious along the curved roof edge on both driver and passenger sides. With road vibration and friction, I am worried that the thin roof material eventually will fail/leak over the protruding seam areas.

I do know that the bulges were not present when I purchased the unit nor did I notice them last season. Today, I brought the trailer in to my local Jayco dealer for winterizing and asked them to repair the protruding roof seams. The "service advisor" gave one of those (here's another idiot) looks and then firmly stated that protruding seams along the edges and across the roof are a completely normal condition and are no cause for me to be concerned about. I didn't buy it and insisted that he have a tech inspect the entire roof and report back.

I've attached some pictures (below) of one of the roof edge seams (I have several). Is this normal? I'd appreciate any and all feedback as I am a retired cop and RV roofs are not exactly my area of expertise.

Thanks in advance,
No that is not normal in at all. I am lucky so far that I don't have any problems yet? One point I strongly emphasize, is for everyone looking to buy a Jayco, or any rv, take the time to crawl up and look over your roof, before buying it! I have other major issues with mine,which the dealer decided it was best to get me into a new 2018 eagle: I checked the roof and I was shocked to find little humps- (which appeared to be screws) protruding up. Not good for a 5th wheel that has come that way from factory! So in no time that will rub through the rubber roof! The construction on mine was a bit spongy. When compared to the 2018- the 2018 construction was "extremely soft, and you could see that it was constructed in modules. none came close to matching up level! I seen enough and told the dealership- Fix mine a best as possible and I will be selling it! Owned mine 4 months- I'm done with Jayco! You want a good sold built- flawless trailer- Check out Grande Design- Solitude! Mine is on order. Some other major issues are floor squeaks and major floor separations. check out the photos. The problem is: very poor construction, and no quality control! A sale man from another province pointed out that Thore Industries is pumping these units out like crazy to meet the demand, and cares less about quality? Mine is a real good example "NOT TO BUY A JAYCO"! Best advice- before you make any deal " Do not get caught up looking at all the neat features of you rv, but focus on all the little things- like are all my water lines tight, check for panelling delaminating on your pantry, feel the floor (linoleum) for plywood separation. I have a 3/8" hump from hallway to front of toilet to under the shower. The plastic shower liner drives me crazy. No simple fix, except send it back to Jayco or get a refund! I could write a short story on my nightmare purchase. My intent was look extremely closely at every part of your rv! Take a flashlight and maybe an experienced rv owner. Biggest mistake I am reading in all forums, is once the sale is made! Good luck with warranty and repairs! Check out my photos! So much for quality built and best in the industry! Note: the dark area between the plywood- that is the underside of the rug alongside the bed. Worse yet about 8" of the tongue on the plywood has split, and looks like the plywood was thrown down and screwed in place? Well in front of my bed and dresser the plywood flexes, you can hear it squeak in a 2 ft by 3 ft area? Not even screwed down ! I know I went off the topic of roof construction, but the flooring is a far larger issue with Jayco's products! Came right from a Jayco salesman! He said they have been having so may issues since Thore Industries bought out Jayco,that they are considering, dropping them! I know mine is up for sale after they repair all the 19 defences and repair the damaged from fibreglass cap $5000-$6000 damages that someone patched with decal tape and sold it that way! Nice!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1232.jpg   IMG_1230.jpg  
kdduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #14

Will Post Update

Please accept my thanks for your replies regarding the bulges in my unit's roof. FYI: I am still waiting for the results of the roof inspection at the dealer's service department.

If the dealer declines to address the problem, I will take the matter directly to Jayco customer affairs.

I will post an update of how this turns out.

Thanks again!
Carnation, Washington
Old 10-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #15

I have 2 spots that screws are starting to bulge? So will be keeping a eye on them. But I looked at a replacement unit that my RV dealer, attempted to replace mine with. It was a nightmare. Looked like the unit was manufactured in sections- they did not meet, uneven, etc. It was brutal! I'm done with Jayco ! counting the days till repairs are done? Looks like spring time now? When i get it back, it's going on the market! Got my sights on a replacement Grande Design Solitude 310! Way better built for $10,000 more, but a solid unit! Far better warranty!
kdduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #16

UPDATE: Entire Roof being replaced!

Well, I heard back from my local Jayco Dealer. I was pleased to hear that their RV Tech confirmed several issues with my rig's roof. In addition to the protruding edge seams the tech found several pointy protrusions across the roof.

The dealer sent photos to Jayco Corporate and the dealer received warranty authorization to totally replace my rig's roof. Dealer said they will be stripping the roof system down to the trusses. They are replacing all the roof decking and will be re-fastening with long screws to the trusses. All new edge sections and then all new waterproof membrane. I asked if they were proficient in rebuilding roofs. The dealer said are they are the main repair shop for western Washington, candidly admitted they rebuild Jayco roofs with regular frequency and actually have a special team that does them.

At least for now, I am relieved that Jayco is standing behind their product. I am also hoping the dealer's roof crew will do a better job than what was done at the factory. Time will tell.
Carnation, Washington
Old 10-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #17

Sorry... but glad you are getting it fixed!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogrunr View Post
...The dealer said are they are the main repair shop for western Washington, candidly admitted they rebuild Jayco roofs with regular frequency and actually have a special team that does them...
Am I the only on who finds that statement disturbing?
Old 10-25-2017, 11:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Am I the only on who finds that statement disturbing?
No. Everyone should.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote