Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2020, 07:52 PM   #1

Roof Leak

I have a pretty serious roof leak. After getting over an inch and a half of rain this afternoon there is a puddle on the floor of my camper in front of the couch that sits along the back wall.

I saw some water over the winter too, I thought it might be from the solar panels I put up but I didn't see anything. I had a Sealtech leak test run and they found five small leaks but they were in seams on the sides, nothing that could explain this and I fixed them all.

I believe it is coming from the main AC unit. Has anyone had to deal with that? Trouble shooting tips would be appreciated. I am thinking I will have to try taking it apart. I dropped my ceiling fan and the shroud around that and stuck a camera up into the ceiling. I see signs of water but can't tell where it is coming from.
Scottenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:15 PM   #2

I believe there is a seal between the roof and a/c it may need replaced.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:36 PM   #3

I would search for roof AC water leaks above and on the net. There is a rubber seal under the AC that others have mentioned needs to be tightened with the hold down bolts of the AC. But to much can ruin the seal also. Check your drainage channel in the AC that drains condensate as it could also be blocked.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I would search for roof AC water leaks above and on the net. There is a rubber seal under the AC that others have mentioned needs to be tightened with the hold down bolts of the AC. But to much can ruin the seal also. Check your drainage channel in the AC that drains condensate as it could also be blocked.
Yeah, I am checking videos, thanks.

I don't think it is the condensate drain because it isn't running.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:30 AM   #5

Get on your roof on you hands and knees. Look for the smallest cracks in any joint or calking you see. . Check all vent covers, plumbing stacks, and penetrations thru the roof. Check seals in the 14" roof vents. After you find it and fix it. You need to know if the insulation is wet. It will NEVER dry out. It must be removed and replaced before it starts to grow black mold.

Make sure your looking for a roof leak and not a window leak.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:57 AM   #6

Could be from a number of places. As Cavie said, get up on the roof and look at every joint. Also look at the marker lights, sometimes they leak too. If you have not moved the TT yet. Pour some water on the floor and see if it wants to "move" in a particular direction. That might indicate starting point were to look outside.

My first thought is the air conditioner too. There is a soft foam gasket between the roof and the AC unit. Check the corner screws that hold the AC in place. If they are loose, water could sneak past. If they are extremely tight, the gasket is fully compressed, and it can fail too. The screws should just be snug.

Also check all your side walls, hatches, and windows. I have been noticing the last few years, the caulking on my TT is starting to fail in these areas.

What year and model is your 5ver?

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-33107...s%2C646&sr=8-4

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
Get on your roof on you hands and knees. Look for the smallest cracks in any joint or calking you see. . Check all vent covers, plumbing stacks, and penetrations thru the roof. Check seals in the 14" roof vents. After you find it and fix it. You need to know if the insulation is wet. It will NEVER dry out. It must be removed and replaced before it starts to grow black mold.

Make sure your looking for a roof leak and not a window leak.
I had the Sealtech test done and I am pretty sure they would have found any seam or penetration leaks, they actually found a bunch in the side walls. If it is in fact the air conditioner the gasket is underneath it so I don't think they would have seen that. I am going to take it apart today and see what I find.

Good tip on the insulation. The issue is this is the ducted AC so it doesn't stick down inside. I did take the ceiling fan down and look in the ceiling with a camera there. I see some wood staining but can't tell where the leak is coming from and don't see any wet insulation.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Could be from a number of places. As Cavie said, get up on the roof and look at every joint. Also look at the marker lights, sometimes they leak too. If you have not moved the TT yet. Pour some water on the floor and see if it wants to "move" in a particular direction. That might indicate starting point were to look outside.

My first thought is the air conditioner too. There is a soft foam gasket between the roof and the AC unit. Check the corner screws that hold the AC in place. If they are loose, water could sneak past. If they are extremely tight, the gasket is fully compressed, and it can fail too. The screws should just be snug.

Also check all your side walls, hatches, and windows. I have been noticing the last few years, the caulking on my TT is starting to fail in these areas.

What year and model is your 5ver?

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-33107...s%2C646&sr=8-4
I have a 2019 355MBQS.

See my reply Cavie, I had the Sealtech test done so I am pretty sure it isn't a seem or penetration. I think if it is in fact the AC gasket they didn't see it because it is under the unit.

I am going to take the AC apart today and hopefully it is just a loose screw. As I understand it there is a metal frame under the roof the AC screws - screw into. This is a ducted AC so I can't get to it from underneath. Hopefully I can just tighten the screws. I am going to open up the evaporator cover and hopefully that will let me see down into the RV where the air goes in and out.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #9

Jayco is infamous for not torquing the AC bolts, improperly flashing the roof hole and not installing the gasket properly. Ask me how I know. Jayco paid an independent RV shop $4000 to replace my bedroom ceiling and properly flash and install a new gasket properly and torque the mounting bolts to spec.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottenj View Post
I have a 2019 355MBQS.

I am going to take the AC apart today and hopefully it is just a loose screw. As I understand it there is a metal frame under the roof the AC screws - screw into. This is a ducted AC so I can't get to it from underneath. Hopefully I can just tighten the screws. I am going to open up the evaporator cover and hopefully that will let me see down into the RV where the air goes in and out.
You should be able to pull that inside cover off where the filters are at, to get to those screws.

Another thought, you could go up on the roof, and "wash it" do say 1/3 at a time, and see if you can see any signs of water leaks.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
You should be able to pull that inside cover off where the filters are at, to get to those screws.

Another thought, you could go up on the roof, and "wash it" do say 1/3 at a time, and see if you can see any signs of water leaks.
There is no “inside cover”, this is a ducted unit. The ceiling inside the camper under the ac unit has a smoke detector and nothing else.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #12

I took off the evaporator cover and I could see moisture down in the ducts so I pulled the AC unit. The gasket was mounted too far back and twisted. Where the roofing material went down into the opening on the sides and back it was nice and clean but the front was stained brown and had water tracks. I cleaned it all up, repositioned the gasket and remounted the AC. I may need to replace the gasket and have one on order, but I will see how what I did so far works first. I put Dicor on the mounting bolts so I will let that dry and then put a hose on the roof.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:56 PM   #13

I forgot to mention the 2 holes I found about 1-1/2” each in the supply duct to let wires up to the AC. No attempt to seal around the wire at all.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:35 AM   #14

Quote:
I forgot to mention the 2 holes I found about 1-1/2” each in the supply duct to let wires up to the AC. No attempt to seal around the wire at all.
Were you able to get to the mounting screws (bolts) from the top with the evap cover off?

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
Were you able to get to the mounting screws (bolts) from the top with the evap cover off?
All you have to do is take off the shroud to get to the mounting bolts. I just took off the evap cover to look inside before removing the whole unit from the roof.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #16

Quote:
All you have to do is take off the shroud to get to the mounting bolts. I just took off the evap cover to look inside before removing the whole unit from the roof.
Many thanks Sir. Took off the shroud and evap cover, snugged the mounting bolts, inspected and cleaned out twigs and leaves in about an hour.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #17

Got up on the roof today with a hose and confirmed my leak is gone.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:36 AM   #18

Well done, I think a lot of us learned from your post.
ramori is offline   Reply With Quote