Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #1

Roof patch or repair ?

So i made a small scrape with a few small holes in the roof of my 2020 29.5 bhds.
The scrape is about 10inches long along the corner of the left side of the roof. The rv repair shop recommends a new roof. They patched it so we can use it and come back in two weeks for the new roof. At first I was ok with the new roof idea, but the patch doesn't look too bad and replacing the whole rood seems a lot more complicated and could result in a worse outcome. What do you guys think. Go with the patch or full roof? Is the patch durable?

Thanks
dougrad1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #2

What did they quote for a new roof? Do you have any pics of the damaged roof? If so posted them here. We will help you figure it out. Did you consider filling a claim with your insurance company?

Marko
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #3

Of course they suggested a new roof, that's how they stay in business. Let Eternabond Tape be your new friend, this is a great product that will cover your scrape and last for many years. Dont waste money on replacing the roof, you will be like most and it will happen again down the road.https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RS...ateway&sr=8-11
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #4

Not sure how deep the holes penetrated in your roof but I had some long scrapes in my roof when I mistakenly thought I had more clearance under a tree than I did. I was sooo mad!! Based on several searches for how to fix (mostly on this forum) I covered the scrapes with Eternabond then used some lap sealant on edges and haven’t had any issues in the 2 years since repair was made.

Hopefully I can post pictures correctly.

Before repair
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5121.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	50613

After repair
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5123.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	50614
AndyHetzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Of course they suggested a new roof, that's how they stay in business. Let Eternabond Tape be your new friend, this is a great product that will cover your scrape and last for many years. Dont waste money on replacing the roof, you will be like most and it will happen again down the road.https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RS...ateway&sr=8-11
x2........for sure!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #6

If it is simply a tear in the rubber membrane, I would put Eternabond tape on it, make sure it was properly installed, and never think about it again. To replace a rubber roof you have to remove the AC, vents, plumbing stack vents, skylights, refrigerator vent, TV and radio antennas and anything else that comes through your roof. Then you have to re-install all those things. Then you have to seal all those penetrations, as well as the roof to front, rear and side wall joints.

There are LOTS of places for a failure. I wouldn't want anyone but the factory to do a repair like that.

On the other hand, buy a roll or piece of Eternabond tape and some appropriate cleaner. Install the piece of tape, roll it down correctly to ensure correct adhesion, and your patch will outlive your camper.

Cheaper, easier, BETTER, faster and less things to screw up. Yes, it *might* affect resale down the road, so I would take a picture of the damage and the repair. That way you can show the next owner that the damage was minimal, you caught it before it rotted, and it was fixed correctly. The buyer can get up on the roof and inspect the area and ensure its not rotted. Maybe he offers you $500 less... still cheaper than paying your deductible!
spoon059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #7
BJR

I had an issue with my roof and they got the authorization to replace the whole roof. They tried peeling it up but the plywood splintered and was coming up with the roof. They layered another layer of plywood on top of the old roof and put on another roof.

In retrospect, the repair would have been better. The final (warranty) bill was thousands and thousands.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
What did they quote for a new roof? Do you have any pics of the damaged roof? If so posted them here. We will help you figure it out. Did you consider filling a claim with your insurance company?

Marko
Sorry no pics. The quote was $6500. They said "since it was brand new the insurance adjusters usually recommend a new roof". I submitted the claim. I guess i was just fretting about the complexity of a new roof versus the simple patch and whether it was just overkill.
dougrad1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #9

Eteranbond is awesome!! recommended to me by others here. You can have that patched in 20 mins time and just a few $.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #10

My neighbor went through something similar recently. A little worse than you're describing, but it wasn't too bad IMO.

Insurance covered the repair to the tune of $9,000 for a whole new roof membrane (less the deductible which I'm pretty sure was $500). A local mobile RV repair company did the work, and by all accounts they did a great job (they have a sterling reputation). There were 3 of them, and it took them probably 10 hours to complete the job (maybe more, but that's pretty close I think).

I thought to myself how silly that was, but the new roof membrane is supposedly A LOT thicker than the old one, so he ended up getting a much better roof out of the deal for the long haul.

If it were me, and I didn't think I could fix it with Eternabond, (knock on wood), I would have tried to get insurance to pay for a RV Roof Armor (or similar) roof install. "Lifetime" warranty, and no more maintenance.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
If it were me, and I didn't think I could fix it with Eternabond, (knock on wood), I would have tried to get insurance to pay for a RV Roof Armor (or similar) roof install. "Lifetime" warranty, and no more maintenance.
X2, A former coworker had a Linx (??) spray roof put on his former 5ver, he stated it was the best thing ever.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:07 PM   #12

Not only should you just use Eternabond tape on it, you'd be wise to remove all the Dicor sealant on your roof and replace that with Eternabond. This is a very simple and effective repair.

I'd tell the insurance company "never mind", if it's still possible to avoid having them raise your rate.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Not only should you just use Eternabond tape on it, you'd be wise to remove all the Dicor sealant on your roof and replace that with Eternabond. This is a very simple and effective repair.

I'd tell the insurance company "never mind", if it's still possible to avoid having them raise your rate.
Agree.

But IMO, forget about removing the old Dicor, just go right over it with E-bond.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHetzer View Post
Not sure how deep the holes penetrated in your roof but I had some long scrapes in my roof when I mistakenly thought I had more clearance under a tree than I did. I was sooo mad!! Based on several searches for how to fix (mostly on this forum) I covered the scrapes with Eternabond then used some lap sealant on edges and haven’t had any issues in the 2 years since repair was made.

Hopefully I can post pictures correctly.

Before repair
Attachment 50613

After repair
Attachment 50614
How did you get it all so clean? Did you remove the excess membrane before laying the tape? Had same incident this weekend on the side of roof and my eternabond will be here today lol
Jbestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #15

If insurance gonna pay, put new roof. It is 2020 camper with warranty still in place..... using tape if out of warranty much cheaper. I will bet the farm that if water damage occurs and is discovered later, any warranty claim will be denied due to tape on roof repair... any down road damage in roof will be covered and most likely fall on company who replaced roof and not you. FWIW
DBuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:22 PM   #16

Call your insurance & file the claim. THEN call RV Flex Armor and set up an appointment. Lifetime roof and will actually be cheaper than the factory roof style replacement.
I had mine done at Denton RV Roofs but they may have a place closer to you
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbestor View Post
How did you get it all so clean? Did you remove the excess membrane before laying the tape? Had same incident this weekend on the side of roof and my eternabond will be here today lol
The Eternabond instructions should tell how to clean the membrane prior to installing the tape, plus there are YouTube and other vids out there, just do a google. It's simple and easy. Just cut away any pieces of membrane sticking up at the torn edges with a utility knife. Great stuff, I did major repairs with it on an older trailer I used to have.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJR View Post
I had an issue with my roof and they got the authorization to replace the whole roof. They tried peeling it up but the plywood splintered and was coming up with the roof. They layered another layer of plywood on top of the old roof and put on another roof.

In retrospect, the repair would have been better. The final (warranty) bill was thousands and thousands.
Be wary of them putting on another layer of plywood or particle board as that can add a few hundred pounds of extra weight to your rig which for some folks could push it up to or past payload weight limits for your trailer or tow vehicle.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
Be wary of them putting on another layer of plywood or particle board as that can add a few hundred pounds of extra weight to your rig which for some folks could push it up to or past payload weight limits for your trailer or tow vehicle.
When I was getting quotes for our roof before I found out about RV Flexarmor, 2 different rv repair places both said all the plywood needs to be replaced when doing the OEM style Roofs. Something about the glue on the old plywood doesn't allow a good bond to the new fabric. Their explanation , not mine.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote