Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #1

Roof repair

Howdy all !!

Well Summer is finally over and I'm getting ready to store the 5'er for the Winter.. We squeezed in 9 trips this Summer, our busiest yet. I practically cry every time I walk by the rig. I talk to it every time I go in to grab things that we need inside our house that we keep in the camper..

Question: There are a few cracks in the caulk on the rubber roof. What type of caulk to I need to buy to repair these cracks ?? I want to make sure I get the right stuff that won't break down from sun and weather..

Thankya !!!!!

2006 Jayco JayFlight 27.5 BHS
03 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
HippieCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #2

If you can, try using Eternabond. It comes in sheets and can be put down in strips or you can cut it and shape it to your needs. I really like this stuff, once down it ain't moving.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #3

I agree with Albertaguy. I bought a roll of Eternabond Tape and applied it to the seams on my fiver roof to good affect. I now don't have to worry about the caulking drying out, cracking, etc. It is peace of mind. Check out http://www.eternabond.com as well as http://www.eternabondrv.com for a description.
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #4

Thanks Guys ! Now, is this stuff applicable for rubber roofs ? I can actually manupulate the stuff and get it to fill in cracks, etc ??

2006 Jayco JayFlight 27.5 BHS
03 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
HippieCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #5

Howdy Dave,
Check out those websites I suggested. Eternabond is a tape, not a caulk. It can be applied over existing caulking, making it simple and easy to install. And yes, you can use it with rubber roofs. My roof is rubber.
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:19 AM   #6

Dyco C-10 is what you need. http://www.rvpartscenter.com/Product...&DID=12&CID=91
Old 10-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #7

Dicor is a very good product
Old 11-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #8

For my 2006 Jayco 29FBS TT, I "hand" clean using Protect-All Rubber Roof Cleaner its entire roof and its existing caulking area, let dry 48 hours, then apply Dicor Caulking. I apply 1 ft bead at a time and "feather spread it out" with my clean fingers. This stuff is self leveling and it will continue to gravity level to its lower areas. Thus, filling in wide / deep cracks (in existing factory caulking beads). I do max 12" areas at a time, and slowly work my way down the roof line. Or, around vents edges on the roof. Even though people don't see the roof area, I ensure its caulking is applied as if on a showroom case. re: Cosmetically perfect as well.

After waiting 7-10 days (for Dicor Lap Caulk to fully dry), I then inspect areas again. If all still looks great, I then apply Protect-All Roof treatment across the entire roof surface. It goes on like milk (re: using a hang sponge to spread it around the roof surface in full circle motions) and it flows into the smaller micro-cracks in the soft roof material. And, I lightly hand spread across the new Dicro caulk areas as well. Let dry for 24/48 hour - before its next rain day. After a rain, the rain water immediately beads up. Thus, showing this Roof Treatment stuff is repelling water. Some folks don't believe in roof treatment. Especially since its manual effort to apply. But after seeing positive results for many years, I apply Dicor and Protect-All Roof treatment every 6 months. Especially at our seasonal site TT - that's under treats (which love doing droppings).

Products I use are:
http://www.dicor.com/resources/Produ...lapsealant.jpg
http://www.protectall.com/rrclong.aspx

Good luck with your Caulking "tweaking" areas.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote