Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2021, 01:36 PM   #1

Roof Repair ‘98 5th wheel

I have recently been gifted a ‘98 Jayco Eagle 5th wheel. There had been many leaks in the one slide-out and I have spent a good amount of time and $$$ tearing out old, moldy ceiling insulation and panels. I replaced that insulation with Reflectix insulation and new panels. I am crazy allergic to mold! Ugh! 😐
One problem I have is that previous owner used everything and anything on roof to “fix it.” By this I mean caulk, duct tape, waterproof tape, tar, something that looks like hot glue and a roof sealant. After a particularly long, hard rainstorm last winter, I noticed ceiling panel in bedroom was wet. 😩
I want to know if it is wise to somehow remove all layers of “stuff” on the roof and start anew with a good rooftop protectant OR remove all the layers over the bedroom area and just redo it, OR simply use a product like Eternabond to repair where I “think” the leak may be?
I’m in central Washington so I want to prepare for snow and ice before it’s a bigger problem.
Thank you for helping out a newbie, newly single older gal to get Harvey the RV in living shape! 🥰 P.S. I am parked and will be here for at least a year.
Wendyz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:21 PM   #2

If you can get rid of the "junk" previously used ETERNABOND is the solution, but it needs a solid base to stick to.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:25 PM   #3

@Grumpy - Do you mean for the entire roof, the bedroom roof area, or just where the suspected roof leak is? Also, what is recommended for good “junk” removal? ��

Wendy
Old 08-28-2021, 03:37 PM   #4

I'd first concentrate on the area that is leaking, but eventually do all the seams. As to what to use to clean up the area, I can't answer that since I don't know what you need to remove. ETERNABOND needs a clean solid surface to adhere to. I you have roof coating that can flake off it will come loose.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:30 PM   #5

Thank you so much! ��

Wendy

Tags
mold, roof help! leaks