Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #1

Roof Repair and Maintenance on EPDM Roofs

Hello All--

I have a 1998 Jayco 243RKS that has an EPDM rubber roof. The roof has a couple of repairs that appear to have been done well, as they were done with galvanized sheet metal and screwed down to roof about every 6" or so (see pics). The sheet of plexiglass in first pic is where skylight goes...previous owner didnt want to replace a craked one I guess?

Repairs are about 2'X3' on two sections of roof; one near front and one in front of AC condenser. There are no signs of leaks inside anywhere no streaks either. The previous owner took pretty good care of this RV. I believe there may have been an incident that tore through the rubber roof and it was repaired with the metal sections.

I know about the use of butyl tape under skylights, vents, etc and self leveling sealant over all seams, edges, vent/skylights edges, over screws, etc.

Am I correct with the above? Am I missing something?

I wanted to know, as I have heard of some folks doing this, but is it recommended to cover the entire roof with a roll on, paint-like finish that seals and protects entire roof? It sounds logical, especially for older EPDM rubber roofs like mine. However, I do not want to do something to diminish or be harmful to the rubber roof material.

Thanks!

2014 Gregor Eagle 17 Center Console, Mercury 60HP 4 Stroke, Garmin 93SV FF, Motorguide Xi5 GPS
SoCalAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:27 AM   #2

The repairs are not conventional for EPDM roof systems, but if they're working I guess you can't argue with success.

One problem over time will be that the patches will expand and contract to stress the sealing method. If you purchase the RV I would suggest sealing all the patch edges and fasteners with Eternabond Tape, Dicor products, or ProGuard Liquid Roof 2 part sealant. That should assure that the edges stay weather tight.

I normally don't like aftermarket coatings for EPDM roof membranes because they can interfere with proper adhesion of future repairs. They can also hide problems to make locating leaks more difficult. For older deteriorating roofs a manufacturer approved coating may give a bit more service life.

Good luck. vic

VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #3

I don't really recommend roof coatings at all, I would be afraid they would just hide a problem and make it harder to find.

You can buy a liquid EPDM rubber however. It is a 2 part liquid that you mix together and let it sit for a couple minutes, then can brush or roll one. It is the exact same chemical compound as your sheet EPDM. It adheres to your old EPDM and creates a new section of roof, not a "patch".

My old trailer had a tear in the rubber and soft wood. I cut out the rubber over the bad area and put new decking down over the roof. I then "painted" the liquid EPDM over the new decking and overlapped the existing rubber roof. When it cured, it was a one piece roof again with no new edges.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I don't really recommend roof coatings at all, I would be afraid they would just hide a problem and make it harder to find.

You can buy a liquid EPDM rubber however. It is a 2 part liquid that you mix together and let it sit for a couple minutes, then can brush or roll one. It is the exact same chemical compound as your sheet EPDM. It adheres to your old EPDM and creates a new section of roof, not a "patch".

My old trailer had a tear in the rubber and soft wood. I cut out the rubber over the bad area and put new decking down over the roof. I then "painted" the liquid EPDM over the new decking and overlapped the existing rubber roof. When it cured, it was a one piece roof again with no new edges.
Is this what you used?
ProGuard
Liquid Roof®

Liquid Roof, EPDM rubber coating for RV's, motorhomes and fifth wheels

vic
Old 05-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #5

Yup, that's it. A little messy to work with, but it works great.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #6

there's also this.....

https://secure.websolhost.net/@epdmcoatings/order-v2/

2014 Gregor Eagle 17 Center Console, Mercury 60HP 4 Stroke, Garmin 93SV FF, Motorguide Xi5 GPS
Old 05-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #7

so, do you think I should leave the metal sections and just Eternabond the edges?

OR

Remove metal and cover/patch with EPDM rubber?

I'm curious what's under metal but don't want to open a hornet's nest either.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post

I'm curious what's under metal but don't want to open a hornet's nest either.
Yep.

If all looks good "Let sleeping dogs lie" comes to mind. I would seal around the edges just for the added peace of mind.

vic
Old 05-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #9

Here's the second pic......

Old 05-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #10

From the site you gave above:

Liquid EPDM Rubber Roof Coatings for Roof Leaks Repair - EPDMCoatings

It comes with fabric.

I have used Henry roof repair patch fabric with Dicor products to give a bit of reinforcement. If you decide to seal the metal patches that may help with any movement at the edges of your metal.

vic