Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2021, 01:40 PM   #1

Roof Top A/C Mount Leaking - 2017 Eagle HT

I was wondering if any has removed their main AC Unit to put new seals in.

Over the weekend, we used our AC and got some water dripping from the ceiling. I already checked the drain holes and they were not clogged. After some investigation, I found that it leaked prior to this weekend from rain water. I pin pointed the leak to the front screw that is opposite of the door side on the AC Unit. I am attaching picture that shows the two front screw points.

This AC unit is the duct system. So there is NO access to this ac unit from inside the trailer. When looking at the unit from the roof I saw 4 screws/bolts that has sealant coving them. There were 2 in about the center of the unit and the other two are in the front of the AC unit. See picture.

I have a couple questions I was hoping I could get answered here.
1) The four bolts/screws: What are they actually screwed into?
2) If I remove the bolts/screws, can they be easily reinstalled?

I called my dealer and they said the front two bolts/screws "The mounting screws go into the wood decking according to the shop foreman"

This statement blows my mind that they are mounting an AC unit to wood. I would imagine the wind and vibration is going to cause gap between the rubber seal and the roof causing a leak. (that is my theory on how my leak started).

My "fix" (I hope) was removing the sealant on the bolt/screw I assumed that is leaking, and tightened it down until I saw the seal was compressed down and the small gap between the seal and the roof of the camper was no longer visible. I then reapplied OSI Quad to the screw/bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
20210830_091424.jpg  
RyanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:12 PM   #2

Check your Filters inside your unit first. If they are clogged up the AC Unit will ice up and drip inside your rig. I would do this before you start tearing apart the unit from the roof side. Just my two cents from my experience.
rickalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I was wondering if any has removed their main AC Unit to put new seals in.

Over the weekend, we used our AC and got some water dripping from the ceiling. I already checked the drain holes and they were not clogged. After some investigation, I found that it leaked prior to this weekend from rain water. I pin pointed the leak to the front screw that is opposite of the door side on the AC Unit. I am attaching picture that shows the two front screw points.

This AC unit is the duct system. So there is NO access to this ac unit from inside the trailer. When looking at the unit from the roof I saw 4 screws/bolts that has sealant coving them. There were 2 in about the center of the unit and the other two are in the front of the AC unit. See picture.

I have a couple questions I was hoping I could get answered here.
1) The four bolts/screws: What are they actually screwed into?
2) If I remove the bolts/screws, can they be easily reinstalled?

I called my dealer and they said the front two bolts/screws "The mounting screws go into the wood decking according to the shop foreman"

This statement blows my mind that they are mounting an AC unit to wood. I would imagine the wind and vibration is going to cause gap between the rubber seal and the roof causing a leak. (that is my theory on how my leak started).

My "fix" (I hope) was removing the sealant on the bolt/screw I assumed that is leaking, and tightened it down until I saw the seal was compressed down and the small gap between the seal and the roof of the camper was no longer visible. I then reapplied OSI Quad to the screw/bolt.
One of my units was leaking from the rain.

I took out the four screws and lifted the unit off and put it on its side on a moving blanket. The screws appear to just go into the roof deck or studs. You can’t move it too far unless you disconnect the wires.

The problem with mine is they mounted it too far back so that the gasket was falling/twisting into the opening.

I put on a new gasket and put the unit as far forward as I could without moving the screws, then I put a bead of dicor along the gasket front edge and then covered it with eterna bond tape. You are not supposed to caulk the gasket but short of moving the AC and dealing with new holes it is what worked. No leaks in over a year.

I recommend this gasket: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When you take it up if you have had leakage under the gasket it will be easy to spot, the roof will be clean/new looking anywhere the gasket was that didn’t leak.
Old 08-30-2021, 05:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottenj View Post
One of my units was leaking from the rain.

I took out the four screws and lifted the unit off and put it on its side on a moving blanket. The screws appear to just go into the roof deck or studs. You can’t move it too far unless you disconnect the wires.

The problem with mine is they mounted it too far back so that the gasket was falling/twisting into the opening.

I put on a new gasket and put the unit as far forward as I could without moving the screws, then I put a bead of dicor along the gasket front edge and then covered it with eterna bond tape. You are not supposed to caulk the gasket but short of moving the AC and dealing with new holes it is what worked. No leaks in over a year.

I recommend this gasket: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When you take it up if you have had leakage under the gasket it will be easy to spot, the roof will be clean/new looking anywhere the gasket was that didn’t leak.
Thanks for confirming that they are just screws into the roof deck/studs. My biggest fear was they were bolts and the nuts would fall into the ceiling.

I am sure tightening the one down will stop the leak but i am going to replace the seals after this season.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:11 AM   #5

This is what your roof will look like when you remove the ac unit. Also the bottom of the ac unit. Pics came from this forum.

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0645.jpg   H8jUqFT.jpg  
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:28 AM   #6

I havent had to mess with mine yet but was wondering how you got to stuff on the back AC unit since other than filters theres nothing else visible from inside. This now makes total sense. Re sealing should be pretty easy in this scenario. Thats for the pics Earl.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:28 AM   #7

Those 4 screws go into the roof AC unit. They pull the unit down and squish the foam to seal between the roof and AC unit. If the unit is old, you may need a new foam piece. You can also try tightening down the screw where the leak is coming from to tighten the seal.

The foam seal can compress over time and harden, reducing its ability to seal between the AC unit and the roof. If its not covering all 4 corners of the cut out well, it may not seal well. If one screw is tighter than the one diagonally it can lift up the far edge.

I'd try pushing on the foam seal and make sure its still soft. If it is, I'd tighten down the corner that the leak appears to be coming from. If it still happens, you'll need to take the plastic shrouds off the bottom (mine has 2 shrouds, 4 screws each) so you see up to the unit and can feel between the roof and AC and make sure its a tight fit. If you are still unsure, you'll have to take the 4 screws out (maybe 12" long) and lift up the roof unit to see what the hole looks like and what the foam looks like.

Attached are a few pictures of the power/control box you need to remove if you lift up the AC from the roof (you can see it if you look up inside the air intake after shrouds removed). Squeeze nuts hold it in place. It also shows the 4 screws holding the roof AC unit down. There's a rectangle piece of metal inside the screws go through to provide equal pressure around the edges.
Attached Thumbnails
four screws.jpg   control box.jpg  
Old 08-31-2021, 10:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Thanks for confirming that they are just screws into the roof deck/studs. My biggest fear was they were bolts and the nuts would fall into the ceiling.

I am sure tightening the one down will stop the leak but i am going to replace the seals after this season.
I would take up the unit and look, it is very easy to do and if you have a gasket problem it is better to find and fix it now.

You can see what I found on page 24 of this write up: https://www.scottenjones.com/JaycoEa...QSUpgrades.pdf
Old 08-31-2021, 10:20 AM   #9

@Morpar_Earl

Thank you for posting those pictures and from the discolor of the roof on the front Off-Door side bracket, it looks like you had a leak in the same spot I did. I really wish the dealer would have given me a heads up on how this was installed and possibility of a leak occurring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post

If it still happens, you'll need to take the plastic shrouds off the bottom (mine has 2 shrouds, 4 screws each) so you see up to the unit and can feel between the roof and AC and make sure its a tight fit. If you are still unsure, you'll have to take the 4 screws out (maybe 12" long) and lift up the roof unit to see what the hole looks like and what the foam looks like.
Mini... My camper and Mopar_Earl's does not have a shroud in the camper. We have a ducted system with no shroud on our ceiling. So our AC units are not installed with the 4 bolts you are referring to. Our units are installed from the roof.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:07 AM   #10

RyanR,
Those pics aren't of my unit. I saved them off this forum from another post. Saved them for my own reference. I do need to pull mine off as I believe I have a breach in the ducting. Getting condensation on the ceiling paneling. Seems I have some cold air leaking into the ceiling cavity.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Old 08-31-2021, 01:44 PM   #11

interesting.. mine is ducted too.. I just have the option to open the vents under the unit blowing air directly out or close them to force air through the ducts. I think I remember reading about some like yours now that you mention it.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
interesting.. mine is ducted too.. I just have the option to open the vents under the unit blowing air directly out or close them to force air through the ducts. I think I remember reading about some like yours now that you mention it.
It's Jayco's quiet helix ducted system. The ac unit secures to the roof externally. There is no ceiling assembly. The inlet is ducted to the far sides. This reduces ac drone and fan noise significantly. So much so, I run my unit's fan on high speed all the time. I believe other brands use it now as well.

Earl