Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #1

Rotted area in ceiling

I recently bought a jayco 5th wheel 325rks 2005 model. It was perfect in every way except it has some soft wet spots near the front ceiling inside of the closet and into the bedroom. It was a great deal so I didn't pass it up. There was a leak in the roof but it has been repaired. So they said. I still noticed some wetness. Any suggestions on how to approach repairing this area. I'd like to do it myself as opposed to paying someone. I'm worried about mold as well.
Cedarcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Site Team

First I would verify the leak is sealed properly from the top, then get a dehumidifier and some fans inside to remove moisture.
You will eventually have to replace the damaged ceiling material with something that is acceptable to your wife!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #3

So tell me, what is the ceiling made of and what else is hidden up there material wise other than, I'm guessing thin wood and insulation. Might it be possible that it seeped into the wall..will that rot too?. Newbie owner here, but fairly handy.
Cedarcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Not much there. The 1/4 inch plywood may be covered with a vinyl contact paper. Could be some 12v wiring. Deciding how much to remove and what to replace it with may come down to how large the area is. I have replaced a section of a inside wall with luaun plywood and stained it to match the existing area. Never done a ceiling, except to re-glue the vinyl that came loose.

You may need to remove a section to see how extensive the damage is. good news is you can use the rig while the repairs are underway if the roof leak is sealed.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #5
Site Team

You could also consider painting the ceiling with a latex paint after removing the remaining vinyl covering.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #6

yes the wall might rot also. Although you didnt say if your unit has metal or fiberglass skin. I will guess fiberglass. If that is right, you might notice some delam (on exterior) where the water has leaked in. Delam is not easy to fix DIY, and will make your unit worth almost $0 by a dealer at trade in time. -- On a good note, the wall studs are aluminum, and structurally, the unit is still sound.

If the unit has aluminum skin, then the wall studs are likely wood 2X2s, and they will be rotted and need replaced also along with the inside wall boards. The structure will be weakened.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote