Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #1

Rotten Egg Smell

When I turn on hot water it smells like rotten eggs. Any suggestions?
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #2

This happened to me a few years ago, I drained the hot water tank and rinsed it out. That solved my problem. Good luck.
Tow Vehicle 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Limited
Cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #3

Thanks. Just remove cap? Anything else? What about relief valve?
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #4

Here's a thread that touches on the topic.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #5

When presented with this issue; We have drained the tank, removed the relief valve and added a cup of vinegar, refilled the tank, let it cycle a time or two over several hours between hot and cold, then drained the tank one more time.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #6

Just dealt with this. On a late July trip each time someone showered I'd get that and run around crazy trying to figure it out. I thought it was the bath room fan sucking up the yuck from somewhere.

I had one of those gravity tank fill tubes that screws on the end of a hose. Put a little bleach in there and put it in through the open drain hole on the hwh. Flushed it out till it came back through the pressure relief. All is good now.

Did that procedure two or three times and then also filled it and drained a couple times.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:08 PM   #7

I just had the problem in July as well.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ink-58750.html

Used the vinager method and then ran lots of water through it through the relief valve port.
Good now.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:26 AM   #8

Put 1 cup of bleach in your fresh water tank then fill. Turn your water pump on and open all faucets until you get the bleach smell in the water. Let it stand for 24 hours, this will kill the bug growing in your fresh water system. I do this every year to my 5er. Good luck in your bleaching process.
Chris
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #9

When I worked for a municipal water agency we would get complaints from home owners that their water smelled like rotten eggs. 99% of the time the smell was coming from the standing water in the p trap. Turning on the faucet would cause the septic p trap water to release hydrogen sulfide gas into the surrounding air. Hydrogen sulfide can only be produced by bacteria metabolizing organic material in the complete absence of oxygen. While it is possible, it is still unlikely that the conditions necessary to produce hydrogen sulfide exist in your fresh water system. Most likely the reason adding vinegar or bleach to your fresh water system gets rid of the smell is because you ultimately end up flushing the solution down the offending drains. The next time you experience this problem try simply pouring a dilute mixture of bleach directly down the drain and see if that solves it. I would be suspect of any water supply that contains enough sulfur bearing material to cause your fresh water system to turn septic.
Redslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #10

I think the last two posters have it wrong.
This isn’t a problem with the fresh water. It’s a problem in the aluminum tank of the Atwood hot water heater.

Use 2parts vinager to 1 part water

(Around 4 gallons for a 6gallon tank 4.5-5 gallons on a 10gallon tank)

Fill through the relief valve port. Let the heater run though a few heating cycles.
Then rinse the crap out of the tank after.

I have read not to put bleach in the Atwood tank.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I think ...snip... It’s a problem in the aluminum tank of the Atwood hot water heater.
... snip
I've smelled the 'rotten egg' (sulfur) from some campground water systems.

I've never had a water odor problem with my Atwood water heater, but I ALWAYS use a carbon water filter.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #12

Have always dumped a little bleach in the hose before filling fresh water tank.Never really noticed any odd smells.Except when we dump to much bleach in the fresh water hose and fill . Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
xxcampers fire.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I've smelled the 'rotten egg' (sulfur) from some campground water systems.

I've never had a water odor problem with my Atwood water heater, but I ALWAYS use a carbon water filter.
I would LOVE to know why some people get the smell and some never get it.
I never had the problem until this past July.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #14

I been on 6 trips this year. 5 had well water and 1 had city water. The city water was 3rd trip and I had that same smell after that trip. have not had it again.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I would LOVE to know why some people get the smell and some never get it.

I never had the problem until this past July.

I never had a problem in my old TT for five years with an Atwood 6 gallon water heater. 3 weeks of the water from my home in my 10 gallon Atwood in my 2019 North Point and I had the smell when we got to our first campground. It flushed out and we were fine the rest of the trip. I now have the water heater drained. We’ll see how it goes on iur next trip.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:00 AM   #16

If your water heater has a anode rod try replacing it on the RVs I had it was the plug in the middle of the water heater on the bottom.
Fly YX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:26 AM   #17

While staying at a KOA this past summer we ran into this with our hot water. In the manual for the Atwood water heater there is the process for eliminating the odor with vinegar. One of the seasonal campers also let use borrow a spray wand that easily flushes the crud that builds up at the bottom of the tank. I removed the pressure relief valve from the top of the tank to really flush the tank. Odor was gone and did not have any other issues.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XL2IBS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NLPFBbTWM9C3P
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by damammel View Post
While staying at a KOA this past summer we ran into this with our hot water. In the manual for the Atwood water heater there is the process for eliminating the odor with vinegar. One of the seasonal campers also let use borrow a spray wand that easily flushes the crud that builds up at the bottom of the tank. I removed the pressure relief valve from the top of the tank to really flush the tank. Odor was gone and did not have any other issues.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XL2IBS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NLPFBbTWM9C3P
I used a scope camera and could see it.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:17 AM   #19

We never had this issue with any of our previous units & they all had Suburban water heaters. We even have a water softener which we picked up in 2012 & never had an issue in the previous 5vr.

We purchased the Jayco in 2016 and didn't have any issues the 1st year. Last year was another story & part of the problem was the lack of camping we did. Yes we opened & drained the hot water tank & no we have never used the fresh water tank.

We didn't have any issues the first 2 campouts but the last one it was coming out of the cold water & not the hot water. We can't bring the trailer home & the storage area has well water so we paid for 2 nights at a local campground and filled the fresh tank, running bleach water through everything. The next day we drained the fresh tank, ran water through everything and refilled it, letting it sit overnight. Drained it again & put about 1/3 tank adding fresh water additive. We brought the water softener home & drained it to re-energize it. Brown water came out - which is something new for us. We are going out very soon & hoping there is no sulfur smell.

We are also using 2 water filters - the one that came with the unit & another one that is supposed to catch the sulfur. We will be putting in new filters as well when we go out.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #20

Every spring I remove the fresh water filter element and add 1/2 cup bleach to the housing, re-cap and fill the tank, run all facets until I smell bleach, let sit for 24 hours, then drain and flush a couple of times until no more bleach smell. I have never had any issue with the cold or hot water smelling in 10 years, and all Atwood systems.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote