Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2019, 03:25 PM   #21
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
Well, the DW was extremely kind to me and gave me a Garmin RV 770 for Christmas this year. I have been setting it up and transferring saved addresses from our old Garmin. I didn't realize the 770 has Bluetooth capability and can be linked to my smartphone. You can download a Garmin app and with Bluetooth connection you get traffic updates.

The 770 also has Voice Command, and can search for locations hands free. Has anyone who has the 770 used this feature much? I've only played with it a little.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
The 770 also has Voice Command, and can search for locations hands free. Has anyone who has the 770 used this feature much? I've only played with it a little.
I use the voice command feature on our Garmin RV 660 quite often and for the most part it does fairly well. I do find that it tends to ignore me if the radio is on though. This was one of the features I wanted along with the lifetime map updates and built-in traffic. We've used the RV 660 for 5 seasons now and am very happy with it's performance so far. I would like to think that the newer models are improving.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:57 PM   #23

Using a Garmin 760 here, also has voice command and the Garmin Smart Link App to the cellphone. Not only good for traffic but also weather on route and traffic delays.

The Garmin also gets frequent updates that come through Garmin Express, an app for your computer. I also suggest downloading Garmin Base Camp for your PC. Great way to route a trip on your computer and then load to your Garmin GPS.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:58 PM   #24

Quote:
My 760 has the voice command but sometimes it doesn't understand my Texas accent
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #25

We purchased the Garmin RV 770 LMT-S RV GPS for our 5th wheel. We are extremely pleased with the unit. Great graphics, excellent warning system (height/width) illumination on screen.

Has lane notification screen which helps in heavy traffic . $199.99
Anazeteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #26

I stream Waze thru CarPlay but upgraded the Redhawk radio with a Pioneer
JudyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anazeteo View Post
We purchased the Garmin RV 770 LMT-S RV GPS for our 5th wheel. We are extremely pleased with the unit. Great graphics, excellent warning system (height/width) illumination on screen.

Has lane notification screen which helps in heavy traffic . $199.99
Almost bought the 770 last year, but held off. May reconsider now at this price. Question: I know it has a rechargeable Lithium battery, but I assume you can just plug it into the truck 12v power port?
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
I have been using an older model Garmin for years. But now that I have FW that is 13'6" in height, I want to upgrade to an RV Garmin model. I am planning on pulling the trigger on a Garmin 770 this Spring before camping season starts again. They have a Garmin 785 now with built-in dashcam and is compatible with the Garmin backup camera. I don't need the backup camera functionality since I already have a camera on the back of the FW. I like the idea of the built in dashcam and keeping the number of devices on my dash to a minimum, but I don't like the $$$ price tag. I have been looking at the Factory Outlet Store online for the best prices on Garmin GPS. They have the Garmin 770 at the lowest price I have found. The link is below.

https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat...in-RV-GPS.html

Happy Camping!
I have the Garmin RV770 and love it. Amazon has them for $258.00 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Larry Wagner
Stewartstown PA
2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36SSWS (Louise)
2019 Chevelet Silverado 3500 Dully Duramax Engine (Allison Transmission) (Thelma)
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:26 PM   #29

Dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
Here’s my dash, I put copilot into trip overview mode without guidance so the kid can watch our progress towards our destination from the backseat, and steam Waze to the truck screen for road alerts, and use the Garmin for turn by turn. Love all the info, I hate surprises when towing.

Don't mean to be disrespectful but, that's the most dangerous setup I've ever seen. So many distractions. Way to much information.
Dennis Eddinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #30

We are also using the Garmin 760LMT and is great. Like someone else mention, it has most RV parks built into it and has lifetime updates. I also like the fact that it has the dimension, weight, etc. of our motorhome and make us avoid roads with bridge not high enough or make us do detour on road where we are overweight. Been using it for 2 years now and find it handy. Has a 7 inch screen where it is mounted a bit far on the dash and make easy to see. We also always review the best route on Google first just as a backup. It also show what the exit looks like, warns you to stay in a specific lane before you exit. Makes life easier and less stressful when driving a motorhome in trafic.
Malyhupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #31

Garmin RV 660. I'd go for a newer Garmin now, probably with the backup camera.

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MBOK
2019 Ford F-250 King Ranch diesel

2015 Jayco X23B (sold)
2008 Jayco 23B (sold)
2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch (sold)
Rayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Question: I know it has a rechargeable Lithium battery, but I assume you can just plug it into the truck 12v power port?
Yes, it includes a 12v charger. You will also need a port to charge a cellphone if you have that paired with the 770.
pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #33

Gps

Use you cell phone.
Garmin is junk.
michaelodunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:29 PM   #34
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Almost bought the 770 last year, but held off. May reconsider now at this price. Question: I know it has a rechargeable Lithium battery, but I assume you can just plug it into the truck 12v power port?

Yep, it comes with the standard Garmin 12 volt power cord. You'll probably want to look for an alternative way to mount it with a different type of mount than what comes with it.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #35
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodunk View Post
Use you cell phone.
Garmin is junk.
Unfortunately, MANY people here would disagree with you.

I would be helpful to all of us if you would explain how you came to that opinion/conclusion. Many times, it's operator error, and not the unit's fault.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Yep. And much more data than cellphone maps contain.
pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:37 PM   #37

Has anyone tried the RV Life GPS application - you download to your phone, laptop or iPad.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Use you cell phone.
Garmin is junk.

Quote:

I'd be one to disagree with michaelodunk.

We have owned a TomTom and a Magellan before the Garmin 760. Those two are the junk IMHO. The TomTom failed after 2 days use and the Magellan, despite having lifetime maps (up to 4 times a year) included in the price, we were lucky if it updated once a year.

The only redeeming value of the Magellan, it has an awesome extension mount! The suction cup on this baby adheres to the top of the dashboard despite the less than all smooth surface!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magellan-He...MAAOSwoHhdhAbo

The bad part, the ball joint for the Magellan is a different size for the Garmin. So, I purchased one of these and glued it to the Magellan extension mount so we could use it with the Garmin:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Dash-Ad...YAAOSwAuNW6hed

Just found a better price for two:

https://www.amazon.com/IG-PSTARA-i-T...7915700&sr=8-3

Your mileage may vary.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #39

Quote:
Use you cell phone.
Garmin is junk.
Every opinion may differ, but Garmin continues to out perform my cellphone in reliability.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Use you cell phone.
Garmin is junk.
If by cell phone you mean google based maps, then I would agree with you... kind of.

Despite Garmin being a major nav player, their base maps, when it comes to road nav, aren’t at the same level as google’s.

My 780 has pointed me in the wrong direction, when it comes to secondary roads, a couple times now, enough so that I run Copilot on my phone simultaneously as a backup check. Copilot seems to use google for their base maps.

I wouldn’t call Garmin junk, but beware that they’re an 8.5 if google maps is a 10.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote