Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #41

Has anyone had good/bad experiences with The GPS Store.com? They have really good pricing. Also, we got rid of our Sirius radio subscription because the satellite reception was awful anytime you got into the mountains. Does the Garmin have those kinds of issues? Thanks!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:14 PM   #42

We use the Garmin RV GPS, in conjunction with Waze. The RV GPS keeps us on the correct roadways and avoids low clearances, tunnel restrictions on propane etc.. and then Waze will alerts us of any conditions on the road etc. I also launch the “truck map” app on my iPhone before we leave to find the gas stations but we do not Use truck map to navigate, only to find flying Jay’s, loves, Walmart’s, rest areas etc. It’s an awesome awesome tool! I highly recommend it. Go to App Store and download it! Then Put in your address, then click on “get directions” then scroll left to right to find what you want along your route! It drops pins of these chosen locations right on your route, click on a pin and get the info on that location including the address of the chosen stop! I also use the iExit app but I don’t find it as good as the Truck Map app.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:25 PM   #43

Thanks! I’ll take a look.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #44

RV nav

Rand Mc Nally make a few that are RV specific. You even input the size and height of your TTOr RV and it will adjust for your trip to keep you on a safe route.
Dondevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #45

I have a 2019 precept 36U which came with a sound stream radio/GPS that is totally useless it's not RV friendly.
I purchased a Garmin 785RV it also has a dash cam and traffic. I use a mount from amazon that is like a tiny sand bag it works fairly well.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:11 PM   #46
Site Team

I have owned 2 Garmins GPS units and the oldest one I had 8 years ago out performed any iphone map app when it comes to towing a rv.

That's my personal experience.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:25 AM   #47

Ok, I guess I started something and I should explain. First I have worked in on computer systems for 25 years and my main complaint with garmin is it is very user UNFRIENDLY. This company is a pioneer in the gps business and the software should a lot more intuitive to use. If you want to put in a start point and end point it works you get a nice blue line that shows you the way to go. If you want to plan a trip an change routes it's not very good. I prefer Google.
I have an Alante which has the BBT601 which is a tablet the fits in the dashboard and my navigator cant see it from the right seat so she uses Google on her phone.
I also like RVPARKY which gives you great info about gas stations, walmarts, an parks,with ratings and rates and more
michaelodunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodunk View Post
Ok, I guess I started something and I should explain. First I have worked in on computer systems for 25 years and my main complaint with garmin is it is very user UNFRIENDLY. This company is a pioneer in the gps business and the software should a lot more intuitive to use. If you want to put in a start point and end point it works you get a nice blue line that shows you the way to go. If you want to plan a trip an change routes it's not very good. I prefer Google.
I have an Alante which has the BBT601 which is a tablet the fits in the dashboard and my navigator cant see it from the right seat so she uses Google on her phone.
I also like RVPARKY which gives you great info about gas stations, walmarts, an parks,with ratings and rates and more
I don’t know about other Garmin units, but the current RV models are very user friendly. You can drag routes, save trips, search for POI by name (instead of actual address).

You should give the new ones a shot.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Has anyone had good/bad experiences with The GPS Store.com? They have really good pricing. Also, we got rid of our Sirius radio subscription because the satellite reception was awful anytime you got into the mountains. Does the Garmin have those kinds of issues? Thanks!
I have purchased from GPSCITY.COM several times, it might be different from what you’re talking about, however, GPSCITY is great service, fast shipping, great prices, and all the RAM Mount accessories you can imagine.

My GPS gets reception everywhere that I’ve travelled throughout the west, there was only one time I lost satellite coverage and it was in a deep canyon when I was close to a high canyon wall to the southwest of me. It only lasted a few minutes before I had coverage again. I hadn’t had cell phone coverage for several miles prior to that.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodunk View Post
Thanks for the clarification, as for cellphone based operations vs satellite reception, in the region where I most often camp I am usually off grid for cell services, therefore I won’t have reliable GPS services on my phone, unlike the Garmin I have only lost service once. My current Garmin us much more user friendly and I can edit my routes with new waypoints and sort them quite easily. You are right about some of the earlier Garmins, but they have really improved in the past few years.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:06 PM   #51

I have to give the Garmin 770 a gold star! I thought I would give it a try going to the grocery. From my house there are two possible routes to take and I was disappointed when the Garmin selected the longest of the two possible routes. Then I realized I was on the FW profile. When I changed to the car profile, the Garmin selected the shorter route. There is a bridge with only 11’4” clearance on the short route that I couldn’t clear with the FW. So the Garmin was right based on the selected profile.

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #52

Rv gps

I tried the RV program many give good reviews for, it didn't work very well for us. I have been using a 7-inch Samsung tablet and the Sygic RV GPS program for the last 3-years. It works well but it had better setup for RV dimensions for restrictions. I use the standard Sygic GPS for auto and the RV for pulling the RV.
I had thought about getting a stand-alone GPS like we used to own, but the RV versions cost way more than the $80.00 for the RV program and I could install it in whatever size phone or tablet I want to.

Whatever GPS you choose and use, they should all have the same caveat though, take a few minutes, at least, and plan your trip!
Don't just punch in an address without checking out where you're going to!

Even with frequent updates, maps can still be wrong!!
Have an overall idea of what is going to be happening on that day of your trip instead of turning down that too narrow road with no turnaround place because the GPS "told you to!"
Old 01-02-2020, 09:11 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
Thanks for the clarification, as for cellphone based operations vs satellite reception, in the region where I most often camp I am usually off grid for cell services, therefore I won’t have reliable GPS services on my phone, unlike the Garmin I have only lost service once. My current Garmin us much more user friendly and I can edit my routes with new waypoints and sort them quite easily. You are right about some of the earlier Garmins, but they have really improved in the past few years.
Thanks Flyrotor. That gives me some comfort. As I mentioned, in the places we travel, the Sirius was terrible.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:57 PM   #54
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
As I mentioned, in the places we travel, the Sirius was terrible.

Where is your antenna located for the Sirius?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:25 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Where is your antenna located for the Sirius?
I’ve always assumed it was the short black stick antenna on the rear part of the roof. But maybe not?