Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2019, 08:59 PM   #1

Rv gps

Which unit do you use / recommend?
Is it a standalone GPS or is it an downloaded application based RV Based GPS?
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:24 PM   #2

I used Copilot on my iPhone for a couple years. Good app.

However, it didn’t play well with previous versions of CarPlay, it would stop the music with each turn by turn announcement, which was annoying.

So I decided to look into stand alone nav, and also saw that you could pair cameras with the Garmin units. I have a Reese Goose Box pinbox and hitching could be a chore, the onboard Ford cameras are pretty low resolution.

So I bit the bullet and bought the Garmin 780 RV with traffic, and paired it with their BC40 wireless camera in the bed of my pickup. I added 12V outlets in the center of my dash and use an x-arm Ram mount to hold it.

It’s been great, lots of built in features, nice big screen. I’d recommend it.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #3

Here’s my dash, I put copilot into trip overview mode without guidance so the kid can watch our progress towards our destination from the backseat, and steam Waze to the truck screen for road alerts, and use the Garmin for turn by turn. Love all the info, I hate surprises when towing.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old 12-24-2019, 06:07 AM   #4

How did you find the ford’s on-board gps capability? Was it accurate? Where is the best place / best price / to pick up the garmin?
Old 12-24-2019, 06:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
How did you find the ford’s on-board gps capability? Was it accurate? Where is the best place / best price / to pick up the garmin?
I never used the Ford GPS. When I’m not towing, I prefer Waze, I find it’s much more accurate with actual traffic conditions at any given time vs vehicle nav due to how its crowd sourced.

I wouldn’t use the Ford GPS for towing since it doesn’t account for trailer dimensions when routing.

I picked up the Garmin stuff on Amazon during a Black Friday promotion, saved $100.

The 780 DESL is essentially the same unit, accounting for rig dimensions when routing, except it doesn’t have the camera pairing, its a bit chunkier, but has a cool magnetic powered quick connect for the mount. You can find them used on eBay for very cheap. I just didn’t like the Truck-only graphics it used, or its lack of preprogrammed camping features.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old 12-24-2019, 07:47 AM   #6

I have been using an older model Garmin for years. But now that I have FW that is 13'6" in height, I want to upgrade to an RV Garmin model. I am planning on pulling the trigger on a Garmin 770 this Spring before camping season starts again. They have a Garmin 785 now with built-in dashcam and is compatible with the Garmin backup camera. I don't need the backup camera functionality since I already have a camera on the back of the FW. I like the idea of the built in dashcam and keeping the number of devices on my dash to a minimum, but I don't like the $$$ price tag. I have been looking at the Factory Outlet Store online for the best prices on Garmin GPS. They have the Garmin 770 at the lowest price I have found. The link is below.

https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat...in-RV-GPS.html

Happy Camping!
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:11 AM   #7

I considered the 785 for the same reason, but since I’ll drive my truck often when not towing, I didn’t want to have to have the nav unit on my dash all the time just to have camera function.

I opted to install a dedicated dash cam system that will record front and rear and is tucked out of the way. Just something to think about. A dash cam is cheap accident insurance.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old 12-24-2019, 09:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
I considered the 785 for the same reason, but since I’ll drive my truck often when not towing, I didn’t want to have to have the nav unit on my dash all the time just to have camera function.

I opted to install a dedicated dash cam system that will record front and rear and is tucked out of the way. Just something to think about. A dash cam is cheap accident insurance.
I saw the dashcam in your truck pic. There are so many options out there for dashcams. What brand and model are you using?

For my Garmin, I got a cupholder mount that gets it off my dashboard. I have a pretty good size monitor for the observation camera on the FW and an engine tuner on the dash. My DW is only 5' tall and she complains about seeing over "my toys" on the dash! I quit putting the TPMS monitor on the window. I just lay it in the coin holder where I can reach it if I get an alarm.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #9

Choosing a dash cam can be overwhelming. I researched the heck out of brands and models for a few weeks before purchasing, I even bought and returned one model.

First is to note that the best cameras are from South Korea, not China. Thinkware and BlackVue are two respected Korean brands.

I also wanted a two channel cam, front and rear monitoring, which limited choices.

And I didn’t want a big box on my windshield, which limited choices further.

And I wanted easy install.

And I stretched my budget up to $300, didn’t want to go higher.

And I wanted buffer capture in park mode, where you can see footage before impact is detected.

And a camera that doesn’t talk to you all the time, the Thinkware is very chatty and you can’t turn off that feature.

I ended up with the BlackVue 750 2ch. It’s 1080p. The 4K version was another $150.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old 12-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #10

I have the Garmin 760LMT & a separate dashcam. I like the gps . However IF my truck had the newer radio that has the big screen & Appleplay( android has similar ) capability would use my iPhone with one of the availible rv gps apps.I do this in our car with google maps as it's allways pretty up to date.
My 2012 Chevy just has the standard radio but if my 760 dies might be less $ for a radio update than a new 785 or such.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
I have the Garmin 760LMT & a separate dashcam. I like the gps . However IF my truck had the newer radio that has the big screen & Appleplay( android has similar ) capability would use my iPhone with one of the availible rv gps apps.I do this in our car with google maps as it's allways pretty up to date.
My 2012 Chevy just has the standard radio but if my 760 dies might be less $ for a radio update than a new 785 or such.
Hopefully by the time you’re ready they will have a CarPlay compatible RV GPS app. At this time, I don’t know of any that will stream the display to the truck screen via CarPlay.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old 12-25-2019, 02:07 PM   #12

We bought the RV 785 with traffic. Our Rand was no longer supported and it took us on some really hairy roads. The 785 has a dash cam that will warn you about being too close or out of lane. If you want traffic use the power cord that came with it, else won't work. They didn't mention this. It has a browser so you can use it as a tablet. Best thing is we ran some trips and it mapped us on safe roads. It was expensive but for what you get, we are happy
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 02:24 PM   #13

That’s good information, what did you pay for it?
Old 12-25-2019, 02:56 PM   #14

At Amazon $449. Another thing is that it will link with your phone for hands free and the connection quality is quite good. Also, voice commands work on this one. It will link to your phone contact list for voice dialing. It does a lot. You'll have to buy a couple of micro sd cards but they are cheap
Old 12-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Which unit do you use / recommend?
Is it a standalone GPS or is it an downloaded application based RV Based GPS?
Garmin RV 770. Have used Garmins for decades, and this one is nice, as it has all the RV related points of interest as well as warnings based on my rigs specs. I have GPS built into the radio (Soundstream) but it is garbage, so I went to the separate Garmin unit.
Attached Thumbnails
GPS2.jpg  
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:15 PM   #16

Well, the DW was extremely kind to me and gave me a Garmin RV 770 for Christmas this year. I have been setting it up and transferring saved addresses from our old Garmin. I didn't realize the 770 has Bluetooth capability and can be linked to my smartphone. You can download a Garmin app and with Bluetooth connection you get traffic updates. I like the feature to see upcoming places like rest areas and gas stations. I only wish I could customize the gas stations to ensure they have diesel fuel. Can't wait to use it with the FW.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
Well, the DW was extremely kind to me and gave me a Garmin RV 770 for Christmas this year. I have been setting it up and transferring saved addresses from our old Garmin. I didn't realize the 770 has Bluetooth capability and can be linked to my smartphone. You can download a Garmin app and with Bluetooth connection you get traffic updates. I like the feature to see upcoming places like rest areas and gas stations. I only wish I could customize the gas stations to ensure they have diesel fuel. Can't wait to use it with the FW.

Congrats! It’s a separate app, but Gas Buddy is great for finding diesel at good prices.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Congrats! It’s a separate app, but Gas Buddy is great for finding diesel at good prices.
X2, that’s what I use.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old 12-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #19

I tried out the Garmin RV770 and returned that one after being sent down a wrong road which brought us to the back of the Campground and not the entrance, and purchased the Garmin RV785. I find the screen is a lot better, like the dash cam feature, and the Technology is new and not 2 years old.
2016 Jayco North Point 341RLTS
gman03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:40 AM   #20

The concern we have at gas stations are if we can fit under the awning and can we get out? We have had to back out of gas stations where our luck was they were doing construction or some cars were parked such that we could't go around the lot. Anyway we like the 785 and discover something else every time we use it. If you want diesel open the browser and enter diesel. First choice is "Closest diesel fuel..." Then you get a map. You can put the gas buddy website on your browser.