Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2022, 01:42 PM   #1

RV Hitch Mount for E-Bikes

We just purchased two ebikes. Each one weighs appox. 60 lbs. each. Looking for a safe, dependable hitch mounted rack. Thanks in advance.
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:48 PM   #2
C&R

I purchased this on Amazon. HYPERAX Volt RV Rated Hitch. If I recall correctly its rated for 150lbs. Works great for our 2 Lectric XP2.0
Old 08-25-2022, 08:15 PM   #3

We’ve got the Swagman e-spec bike rack and carry 2 Blix Aveny ebikes. They weigh about 60# each but are pretty easy to load/unload. Have logged over 4k miles and it’s solid as a rock. It was on the expensive side but DW was insistent based on the investment in the bikes.
Roadpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 02:29 AM   #4

We have 2 Rad Rover 6 bikes each weighing around 65 pounds each with the batteries off. We bought this rack and so far so good

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...IdIZXbX-kETTVh
Old 08-26-2022, 04:55 AM   #5

Thank you.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:34 AM   #6

You didn't say what type of bike. No one rack will accommodate every ebike. If one bike is a step through and the other is a standard bar, that will narrow down you choices. If they have fenders, that may be an issue for some racks. A decent rack that can handle ebikes is not going to be cheap, most of the good ones are $600 and up.

That said, make sure what you buy is RV compatible. Most of them specifically say not to use them on the back of a motor home or travel trailer. 1 UP is one of the few that have RV rated racks that can accommodate ebikes. They make great racks and I'd start there if I was you, but beware if you have fenders, they have a clunky way of accommodating them. The Swagman mentioned above is also RV compatible, and they make excellent racks. But that one won't accommodate a step through.

We have a Hollywood Racks Destination E, but it's not rated for RV use so I would not recommend it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:01 AM   #7

We have the Hollywood rack designed for use on the back of an RV. We have 2 Himiway Zebra ebikes that weigh in at 79 lbs each and it works great. It is a chore with the weight of these ebikes to load and unload compared to our previous plain ole bikes, but we absolutely love them and take them everywhere we go.
Randyman69357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:03 AM   #8

I bought the Hollywood rack for RVs thru Rad Power Bikes. It handles bikes up to 80#. I've had 2 75# bikes on there down from ATL to the Keys and back, in addition to several other trips and its been great.

Rad had them in stock while they were sold out thru other channels...I assume its because the Rad bikes are a little heavier and they focus on the Hollywood racks.

Whichever you buy, invest in a good bike cover as well, the bigger the better. Mine was made for 3 bikes and fits good, as the e-bikes are a bit beefier.
Old 08-26-2022, 08:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
I bought the Hollywood rack for RVs thru Rad Power Bikes. It handles bikes up to 80#. I've had 2 75# bikes on there down from ATL to the Keys and back, in addition to several other trips and its been great.

Rad had them in stock while they were sold out thru other channels...I assume its because the Rad bikes are a little heavier and they focus on the Hollywood racks.

Whichever you buy, invest in a good bike cover as well, the bigger the better. Mine was made for 3 bikes and fits good, as the e-bikes are a bit beefier.
If you don’t mind sharing, what brand cover did you buy and does it attach well enough that you aren’t worried about it damaging the bikes while in transit
Randyman69357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 02:17 PM   #10

The swagman accommodates our step through ebikes -we needed an adapter bar (Hollywood brand) that attaches from the seat post to the handle bar post to accommodate the hold down hooks. We have team obsidian cover and it has held up well for 2 years and 4k miles. As noted the bigger the better on the cover.
Old 08-26-2022, 04:01 PM   #11

Thank you to everyone who replied. It is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-26-2022, 06:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadpop View Post
The swagman accommodates our step through ebikes -we needed an adapter bar (Hollywood brand) that attaches from the seat post to the handle bar post to accommodate the hold down hooks. We have team obsidian cover and it has held up well for 2 years and 4k miles. As noted the bigger the better on the cover.
x2 on the Team Obsidian cover. Only one season but it looks like many more.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 06:35 PM   #13

Thank you
Old 08-26-2022, 06:40 PM   #14

X3 on Team Obsidian...thought I answered but apparently it didn't take. Was gong to note that cover is good both on and off the rack, but if its raining there will be spray up from the bottom. I'm thinking of using one of those blue Harbor Freight plastic tarps that I keep in the RV for doing my oil changes to cover the bottom, before I put the bike cover on. Can probably bungee cord it over the bikes as it has grommets. Will see how it works in another month or two.

BTW, we really love the e-bikes. Daughter wanted one for when she joins us, so where do you put the third one?!? I take the pedals and handelbar off and seatbelt it to the sofa .
Old 08-26-2022, 07:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
X3 on Team Obsidian...thought I answered but apparently it didn't take. Was gong to note that cover is good both on and off the rack, but if its raining there will be spray up from the bottom. I'm thinking of using one of those blue Harbor Freight plastic tarps that I keep in the RV for doing my oil changes to cover the bottom, before I put the bike cover on. Can probably bungee cord it over the bikes as it has grommets. Will see how it works in another month or two.

BTW, we really love the e-bikes. Daughter wanted one for when she joins us, so where do you put the third one?!? I take the pedals and handelbar off and seatbelt it to the sofa .
Funny about strapping to couch. Out first trip with the bikes and we didn’t have the rack yet. We too pedals off and put back in the box one across the bed and one between slides -seats and tv. Where there’s a will there’s a way
Old 08-31-2022, 11:53 AM   #16

Take a look at Alta Racks. They are RV rated and have a heaver duty version that will support e-Bikes. But, it is a vertical rack, so you will have to lift the bike up to place the front wheel in the basket.

https://www.altaracks.com

Eric
E_Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:22 PM   #17

Think motorcycle! I have two e-bikes and as well had trouble finding a rack to accommodate the weight. Don't remember where I got it, but it works great! I put it on a Jeep and tow the whole thing behind my motorhome. Even came with a small ramp for easy loading.
FNG to RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:55 PM   #18

One Ip

Get the one up 2 Bobby keep rack! I tried the Swagman and it bent from the weight of my Ebike. One Up is American made and is expensive…$750 for a double but you get what you pay for.! 9000 miles so far without an issue. They also have a spacer kit to accommodate fat tire Ebike!
Timpey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 02:13 PM   #19

We have been using a swagman ebike rack for 2 ebikes weighing 71 and 73 lbs with a team obsidian cover. We have used the bike rack for 3 years behind a Jayco 321RSTS fifth wheel.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...an/S64678.html
AnthonyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 03:18 PM   #20

Thank you all.