Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #1

RV Insurance

I may be opening up a can of worms here.... My insurance is up for annual renewal in a few weeks. My Pinnacle 38REFS is 3 years old. I started with Progressive, but had a claim first year (long story- but 13' 4" trailers are TALL!) and my rate was going to double. Been with National General last two years. No claims, but hear some terrible things about them. Looks like they are going up 5% if I choose to renew. I have bought thru Good Sam, and their reps seem to do a good job shopping it around. My home and auto are with Allstate, but they can't get close on rates. Anybody I should call??
SoonerCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:16 PM   #2

I've been with the same insurance company since 1965 and scared to change. They have the lowest rates in my state, so there's no way I would change at my age. Good luck with your insurance search.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #3

My home and auto are also Allstate but there RV rates are way high.
I went with Progressive because of the towing and other coverage.

But they also are very nice in that they let me put my coverage in storage mode which saves a lot in the off season. Some of the others would not do that so watch out for them.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #4

Insurance is something I hate! Each location company, and customer history has their own unique challenges. It is well worth your time to gather all your insurance polices, and make a few calls. You can change at any point in time. If you cancel, every insurance company I have seen will send you a refund check for days unused. So there is no need to be rushed, in making a decision.

I have had State Farm for a long time. Overall rates have been very good, the few vehicle claims have been painless and they did not jack up my rates do to an incident. My antique cars are my challenge. I can get cheaper insurance from other specialty insurance companies, but then my Umbrella policy would not cover any incidents with them. So I have decided, to keep everything under one roof, so I can maximize discounts, and more importantly extend my coverage over my high risk vehicles.

This last year, State Farm stated they could not put my TT, and cars into storage mode for the off season. I pushed them on it this past fall, and they conceded.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:07 AM   #5

I just switched to Progressive from National General because of a rate change with zero claims. Progressive offered the best coverage at the best rate at least for the year. We will see what happens at renewal time.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #6

We were happy with State Farm for our house and cars, but they would not cover an RV for full time living. We ended up with National General through Good Sam and Joan has been really happy with our agent and their customer service. We have not tested them with a claim however.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
My home and auto are also Allstate but there RV rates are way high.
I went with Progressive because of the towing and other coverage.

But they also are very nice in that they let me put my coverage in storage mode which saves a lot in the off season. Some of the others would not do that so watch out for them.

Progressive offers a storage mode?!?! I guess this is other than the Full Time RV designation?