Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
Their designs have been frozen for years.
Yea, i agree. We seem to be mixing the desire to have high tech laminate designs with just wanting more up to date styling. While sleek laminates are not my particular taste, you would think the average rv buyer would want something with a bit more style...like something from 2017 instead of 1970. Interior furnishings and colors on RVs seem to be chosen by a bunch of RV manufacturers who asked folks in their purchasing department to "just pick out something cheap and readily available". It's a case of manufacturing dictating to marketing. Just my take. Also, kinda ticked off cuz I had to replace all the ugly crap in my 5er.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Again, I'm not arguing that you are correct when it comes to *most* industries, regarding manufactured trends which spurs new consumer spending.

What I find interesting is that the RV industry seems to have been sitting that cycle out for the last few decades.

Their designs have been frozen for years.

I have to wonder why, and I have to assume: because the majority of the market was not responding to change. They liked it just the way it was.

So, now that there is more than anecdotal evidence of an aesthetic design shift in the RV world, not just random "test" examples here and there from small manufacturers, the question is "why"?

My hunch is because Gen Xers are the new buying power, and they *do* want change, and change will get more of them to buy RVs. Just look at that couple's response in that video.

And, yes, gloss laminates are a specific expression of the modern look, but it's not specifically that treatment I am fixated on, it's that the browns and the florals and the fussy wood filigrees and the loop carpets are being replaced by the grays and the stones and the barn woods and the stainless steels, the same stuff you are seeing in Gen X homes.

These people are RV buyers, and there is a ground swell amongst that generation to buy them (and tiny houses). Just browse the YouTube channels to see how many of them are documenting their life on the road.

The divide between luxury and camping lifestyles is being dissolved here.
Guess you missed the period of White cabinets, and the period of everything Natural Oak, and the time when Natural Maple was everywhere. The RV industry is no different than others. Even the patterns have changed, from floral to geometric etc. Yes earth tones are friendlier to the ravages of campgrounds and tracking dirt in, hence it's what most people like. If Purple was what people wanted, thats what they would make. It makes no difference to them. They do extensive studies including public opinon gatherings, none of this is by chance. As I said this design group is a huge operation, with almost every segment of manufacturting taking part in it. No company allows their design department to do whatever they want. When I sold to Cavco we were always working a year or two out with colors and patterns.

You can feel the RV industry is old and stayed and never changing but nothing could be further from reality. My first job at 13 a LONG LONG time ago was at a mobile home TT sales company. I don't even think 5th wheels were even thought of yet, this was in the 50's. The RV industry has grown and matured and is in a constant cycle of change, perhaps not yearly, but every 4 or 5 years they have major changes in finishes. And yearly they have changes in what they are selling. As we read on other posts here, it appears Pop Up Trailers are becoming fewer and fewer.. I would guess because people have more $$ today especially younger people, and they skip the pop up and go from Tent to a Trailer of some sort.

The RV industry is very vibrant and the larger the mfg becomes (or conglomerate) the more changes come. They are more tied into these design forecasting (or more honestly groups that drive the colors) cooperatives.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Again, I beg to differ.

2018 seems to be a watershed year where mid and high end 5ers shifted their decor.

!
I just looked at the 2018 Northpoint and nothing there impresses me. The exterior graphics are still ugly like the past 20 plus years. A few nice touches on the interior but still no major upgrades in style or materials, still using the brown tones on everything with a bit of stainless tossed in. I sure don't see any major changes to get me excited.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Guess you missed the period of White cabinets, and the period of everything Natural Oak, and the time when Natural Maple was everywhere. The RV industry is no different than others. Even the patterns have changed, from floral to geometric etc. Yes earth tones are friendlier to the ravages of campgrounds and tracking dirt in, hence it's what most people like. If Purple was what people wanted, thats what they would make. It makes no difference to them. They do extensive studies including public opinon gatherings, none of this is by chance. As I said this design group is a huge operation, with almost every segment of manufacturting taking part in it. No company allows their design department to do whatever they want. When I sold to Cavco we were always working a year or two out with colors and patterns.

You can feel the RV industry is old and stayed and never changing but nothing could be further from reality. My first job at 13 a LONG LONG time ago was at a mobile home TT sales company. I don't even think 5th wheels were even thought of yet, this was in the 50's. The RV industry has grown and matured and is in a constant cycle of change, perhaps not yearly, but every 4 or 5 years they have major changes in finishes. And yearly they have changes in what they are selling. As we read on other posts here, it appears Pop Up Trailers are becoming fewer and fewer.. I would guess because people have more $$ today especially younger people, and they skip the pop up and go from Tent to a Trailer of some sort.

The RV industry is very vibrant and the larger the mfg becomes (or conglomerate) the more changes come. They are more tied into these design forecasting (or more honestly groups that drive the colors) cooperatives.
First, thanks for the participation in this thread, what you've been writing has been great to read.

Second, in the end, we're basically saying the same thing:

None of this is accidental.

My only point has been the timing of this change that seems to be coming in the RV industry.

While the home design, automotive, and marine industries have adopted this new aesthetic and materials a decade, if not more, ago, the RV industry has been slow to adopt.

And, again, as you've stated, that's not accidental.

I just wanted to point out that there are significant signs of a new aesthetic trend cycle starting in the RV industry, and, as with all planned cycles, it will continue forward. And, as I said in my first post, we should be seeing dramatically changed interiors in the next couple years.

Because it seems to be mimicking what we've seen in the home, auto, and marine industries, we have a good idea of what it will look like.
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:27 AM   #25

Well, we might be seeing even more of a shift, at least with the 2019 Eagles. RVOne now has the options/interior lists upgraded on their website for the Eagle lines and instead of the more common "color" choices, they are now referring to only two "interiors". One is called "American Tradition" and the other is "Modern Farmhouse".

I for one will be curious if this is just a terminology shift or an actual, complete design difference where not only fabric colors are different, but cabinetry, wall paper, or other design queues are different as well. Regardless, it does seem that our "choices" are going to be a little more limited going forward with 4 choices of colors in the past, and now down to only two.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #26

When my wife and I were shopping for a new TT we both really liked the floorplans of 2 Forrest River models ( sorry we really did), What we REALLY did not like about every FR was the nearly black wood cabinets. Every one we looked at seemed dreary even with bright sunlight streaming in. Guess we are still stuck in the "natural oak, natural maple" era. The trailer we finally purchased, although not maple cabinets, does tend to that color family. Now our home, which was built over 30 years ago, is nright back in style with all of its dark cabinets !! No, we don't like them and now, we wont be changing them.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #27

I bet Modern Farmhouse is white cabinets and blond accents, to create that lighter/beachy feeling. Luxe started using that aesthetic a couple years ago, and I've seen a lot of the younger full timer Youtubers painting their coaches in that palette.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #28

I miss the country blue velour upholstery of our 1995 bunkhouse...
Old 04-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #29

We had to hold our noses when we bought our 2017, 26BH Jayco. Too much dark brown. It's hard to believe anyone ever wanted that look. We would have greatly preferred light oak or maple, or light painted cabinets.

The queen bedroom has tan walls, but the cabinets and the curved wall at the head of the bed are all dark brown. Ugh. It's like a cave.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:34 AM   #30

They make them dark so you can't see when parts have fallen off
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:47 AM   #31
Site Team

For years Jayco and others had the light oak cabinets etc, our 2010 did. Some were saying that look was dated and needed refreshing. Then they moved to the darker cherries etc.I suppose like most styles it all goes in cycles.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:31 AM   #32

If rv manufacturers are trying to appeal to millennials, gen xerox, whatever, then they would look would be mid century modern, whatever that is.
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote