Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #1

RV Shopping

Well the honey has an itch. Wants two slides rear so more homey in den. Our 04 31RLS Designer has one slide. So to scratch the itch we went looking yesterday and.....

Stopped @ Camping World Dothan and looked over some Brand "X" units. Since we stay out 16-23 weeks a year and many in cold weather, staying warm with minimun propane is important. Asked the saleman about artic package and he assured me the unit we were looking at had it. I got to looking and the grey water drain comes down in center of unit, angles forward about 6 feet to join blackwater drain and has a valve just before the join. The entire 6 feet is totally exposed to the elements. I asked the salesman how long he thought that would take to freeze in the teen weather we had a week ago? He still has not satisfactorily answered me. Another point was to drain the bath grey water means you unhook from the front drain and reattach to the rear drain. Two complete seperate drain points! Since we had determined we were dealing with an unsavory salesman and inferior units we moved on.

Went to Dothan Jayco dealer. They had zero Pinnacles in stock. Salesman claimed paid $15-$20,000 for bunch of expensive nothing. Pretty quickly determined did not want to deal with this guy either so we left ASAP. Did not bother to give him our name/address and phone, as our quality likes does not mesh with his business plan. Guess we will visit Burton Camper in Birmingham area where we bought our current unit. They are a full line full service Jayco dealer and push upscale units.

Was able to get brochere and this afternoon I compared Eagles to the top of line Camping World Brand "X" we looked at. Sure enough, standard edition Eagles have a better "R" rating than that unit had with its "artic" package. If you add the "artic/polar" package to an Eagle, Jayco leaves them in the smoke. And then if you step up to Pinnacle, kinda like an NFL team playing a high school football team.

One thing the honey did not like is all units we looked at, the walk-thru bathroom floorplan is a thing of the past. We also looked on line and most companies have stopped making walk-thru 5th wheel bathrooms. In our unit, I can take care of #2 business in a private room while she uses the sink to get pretty. Some call it "covering the wrinkles!" I agree with her and would like to see that change. The hallway seems to be wasted space and the bathroom is so small, both of us cannot get in there.

Comments please!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #2

I visited that dealer in Dothan a couple of years ago also and bought my Designer from Burton. Burton is 30 miles from my home base so it made more sense anyway.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #3

I also got a Eagle 296FBS you right about the bathroom there is not enough room for 2 people in it. As for room the single slide does wonders for the living area but as for bedroom well it a bit tight to move around without the slide.

I hoping to do my first trip with mine really soon...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #4

Never ceases to amaze me how much business an ambitious and ignorant "salesman" can lose for the rv dealer/owner. Hope you get a lot of input here. How kewl to be shopping for a new rv! Hope it winds up a Jayco so you stay on here and continue to interact with us. Happy shopping!!!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #5

I hope you get another Jayco as well. I could not imagine owning another brand. It really sucks that dipwad salespeople can ruin what should be a fun time for you. If you know of a dealer that treats you good I'd NEVER go anywhere else. Good luck!
Adopt a shelter pet!

2009 Jayco Designer 37RLQS
2011 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Dually
20K Curt Q5 hitch
av8arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Never ceases to amaze me how much business an ambitious and ignorant "salesman" can lose for the rv dealer/owner.
Somthing I have done for years is to early on try and ask a salesman an off the wall question for which I know the answer. If I get smoke for an answer, I move on and get rid of them ASAP. If I get a truthful answer (and I don't know or I'll have to check on that are both OK answers) then I hang with them awhile longer.

Bottom line - I don't have time to listen to a bunch of untruthful BS sales pitch. And this is not only RV shopping but all shopping.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #7

I agree the new floor plans with a hall way take up more space. It also looked as if it reduced the basement size.