Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2020, 07:53 PM   #1

Sanicon

We just Purchased a new Jayco 357 MD OK with one of these Sanicon systems. Any advice? Not sure how it works.
ryounglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:50 PM   #2

It's basically a blender for the contents that come down the sewer line from the black tank. You can use it to pump the tank into a portable and pump it into a tank that's higher than your dump valve, like if you had a portable in the bed of your truck.
Keep the end sewer gate valve closed and the cap on it. Pull the Sanicon discharge hose out and put it in your portable. Pull open the black tank valve, turn on the Sanicon, should be a red lighted switch in the compartment where the hose is located, open the gate valve to the Sanicon, the handle is facing inward of the trailer, and its gonna flow. Be at the ready to close the gate valve for the Sanicon and/or turn the switch off because that thing pumps at a pretty good clip.
Honestly, I've never used mine. But I did play with it a little bit when we first bought our trailer brand new.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #3

I really like my sanicon, use it all the time. Certainly seems a lot easier at the dump station. When I stay at my parents place I use it to pump sewer to a sewer tank that about 100’ from my parking spot using an old garden hose, works great!
Old 06-25-2020, 09:52 AM   #4

Wouldn't leave home without it. I've never used, nor do I carry a conventional dump hose. If in an emergency I ever needed one they're ready available.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #5

Really like mine. I do wish it had a clear end on it so I could see the magic happen. Way faster than the conventional method.

Because I can’t see it working I use the conventional hoses now and then.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
I really like my sanicon, use it all the time. Certainly seems a lot easier at the dump station. When I stay at my parents place I use it to pump sewer to a sewer tank that about 100’ from my parking spot using an old garden hose, works great!
Good idea with the garden hose! Ours has a Sanicon and I have never used it because it won't reach my septic cleanout. So just been using 35ft of stinky slinky which is a bit of a pain and time consuming. I'm going to have to give that a try, thanks!
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:40 PM   #7
DRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryounglewis View Post
We just Purchased a new Jayco 357 MD OK with one of these Sanicon systems. Any advice? Not sure how it works.
Had a Flojet macerator I used with my old TT as @ home the closest I can get to my septic is 100+ ft. It worked well but the Sanicon really moves some s**t. I pump through a 100' 3/4" heavy duty ranch hose and uphill. Works great as the closest place to dump for me is 25 miles away. I added a second 1.5" hose with the sleeve on it so I can run about 40' from the rig.
If needed make sure you winterize pump and hose.
I find if I leave dump valves open and stretch hose out I can get most of the grey water out before I travel.
I carry a manual hose just in case it's ever needed.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #8

I carry an extra section of hose for the Sanicon also. Every now and then we'll have a RV park with a weird setup where where the one hose can't reach. Another thing I wish Thetford would do is make an adapter that screws onto the end with a simple push in connection. There have been a few times where there have been no threads on the dump pipe, or threads all messed up or an obstruction which prevents you from fully turning the end to fully secure it.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 06-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #9

Just bought a flowjet about3 weeks ago and I'm so satisfied. Go about120 feet and it's great.Will only go back to the old style in emergency. If I'd known this year's ago ☺
BigoldAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Really like mine. I do wish it had a clear end on it so I could see the magic happen. Way faster than the conventional method.

Because I can’t see it working I use the conventional hoses now and then.

I was wondering how you can tell when it is completely clean. I put a clear adapter on our stinky slnky for that reason.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
Good idea with the garden hose! Ours has a Sanicon and I have never used it because it won't reach my septic cleanout. So just been using 35ft of stinky slinky which is a bit of a pain and time consuming. I'm going to have to give that a try, thanks!
Make sure you get a 3/4" or larger hose which are usually heavy duty. Got mine at Harbor Freight for $26.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I carry an extra section of hose for the Sanicon also. Every now and then we'll have a RV park with a weird setup where where the one hose can't reach. Another thing I wish Thetford would do is make an adapter that screws onto the end with a simple push in connection. There have been a few times where there have been no threads on the dump pipe, or threads all messed up or an obstruction which prevents you from fully turning the end to fully secure it.
I know. Sometimes I'm at a campsite where it won't screw on so it's just sitting in the sewer connection. I have to see how fast I can run over to the connection after turning on the Sanicon!!! Also, we added the extra Sanicon hose to double the length. We would've been in trouble many times with the length it came with. It all tucks away in the compartment. Sometimes it gets cramped, just gotta get used to tucking it away neatly.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
I know. Sometimes I'm at a campsite where it won't screw on so it's just sitting in the sewer connection. I have to see how fast I can run over to the connection after turning on the Sanicon!!! Also, we added the extra Sanicon hose to double the length. We would've been in trouble many times with the length it came with. It all tucks away in the compartment. Sometimes it gets cramped, just gotta get used to tucking it away neatly.
I was thinking about getting a short piece of PVC pipe with a female threaded end, smaller in diameter that the normal dump pipe that I could attache to the sanicon that would fit about 8 to 10" into the dump which would make it more secure when you cant thread it in...............your thoughts?
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 06-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #14

Quote:
I was thinking about getting a short piece of PVC pipe with a female threaded end, smaller in diameter that the normal dump pipe that I could attache to the sanicon that would fit about 8 to 10" into the dump which would make it more secure when you cant thread it in...............your thoughts?
That would help in those situations but from what I've seen wouldn't be worth the hassle and nastiness of having another piece of sewer pipe to deal with and stow; albeit one that sticks farther down the sewer pipe. I will add this though, at times while dumping the grey tanks, I've not screwed the Sanicon on and it has stayed in place without spillage. Also, at times, I've raised it up just a little to see how much water is still coming out so luckily, so far, I haven't had an issue with the Sanicon staying in place when it's not screwed in.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:56 PM   #15

My wife has the SANICON system on her HT Jayco. Works fantastic. A great option. Thanks for the garden hose info. At home I'm about 30' from our sewer cleanout.
bstuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #16

The Sanicon is the best! May I suggest three upgrades to keep your discharges leak and drama free:

First—put your hose in a protective sleeve that expands with it. You don’t want to create pinhole leaks in the unprotected hose from laying it on the ground. Replacement hose is quite expensive.
Second—install a shutoff ball valve at the macerator outlet to isolate the hose between uses or from hose leaks. Sometimes the manufacturer doesn’t include this, so if you have to gravity dump through the stinky slinky you can do that without also filling up the macerator hose.
Third—install hair/lint traps on your sink/shower/washer drains. Hair and lint may likely accumulate on the impeller resulting in a clog in the macerator box that requires disassembly to clear. Not a fun job as you could imagine!
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryounglewis View Post
We've been using ours for over 2 years now, and only had one issue. The hose is very cheap. If it drags on the ground at all, you will end up with pin holes or worse. If you let it sit in the sun, the plastic starts to separate from the inner coil and will balloon up when you turn it on.

I called and complained to Sanicon about it and they said that Jayco was aware of the problem and was offering a retrofit for the hoses. They even shipped me out a new hose free of charge. The new hose included a black nylon sleeve (Pre-installed) like you see on hydraulic lines to minimize wear and tear on the plastic hose. It's been working like a champ ever since.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwalkers View Post
We've been using ours for over 2 years now, and only had one issue. The hose is very cheap. If it drags on the ground at all, you will end up with pin holes or worse. If you let it sit in the sun, the plastic starts to separate from the inner coil and will balloon up when you turn it on.

I called and complained to Sanicon about it and they said that Jayco was aware of the problem and was offering a retrofit for the hoses. They even shipped me out a new hose free of charge. The new hose included a black nylon sleeve (Pre-installed) like you see on hydraulic lines to minimize wear and tear on the plastic hose. It's been working like a champ ever since.
Did Thetford send you the new retro-fitted hose? I'm FT and leave it out on the ground 24/7, 100+ degree weather and have not had a problem with it........knock on wood
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Did Thetford send you the new retro-fitted hose? I'm FT and leave it out on the ground 24/7, 100+ degree weather and have not had a problem with it........knock on wood
Is there a way to tell if you have the upgraded hose? We havent used ours yet, but it seems pretty sturdy.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
Is there a way to tell if you have the upgraded hose? We havent used ours yet, but it seems pretty sturdy.
What are you waiting for...........I've never had a stinky slinky hooked up!
Formerly from Sequim, WA