Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2020, 10:26 PM   #1

Satellite Coax Connection

Well, guys, I really got tired of trying to connect to the factory sat connection, I was getting satellite pictures from my Dish Network in my bedroom but I wasn't getting anything in the living area so I made a direct connection for the living area.

So this is what I did and I love it so far I just need to hook it up to my Dish receiver.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3423.JPG   DSCN3424.JPG   DSCN3429.JPG   DSCN3426.JPG   DSCN3427.JPG  

DSCN3438.JPG   DSCN3439.JPG   DSCN3442.JPG   DSCN3443.JPG   DSCN3450.JPG  

Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:31 PM   #2

I was looking on the outside of my 5th wheel and I was wondering about that antenna, so I was thinking that I should be about to take off the antenna so I can get a direct hole in the back of the tv.

Then once I had a clear view on where to drill the hole from the outside, I measure about 5" down to make sure I didn't hit no other wires and it was a piece of cake for there.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3447.JPG   DSCN3448.JPG   DSCN3431.JPG  
Old 05-28-2020, 08:16 AM   #3

Nice clean job Big1 .......... I've been wanting to pull the radio antenna to see if it's even connected. I can't pick any radio stations.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:25 AM   #4

I just gutted the factory cable / satellite wiring in my trailer. The routing / splitters / bad connections were killing me. I ran all new solid copper RG 6 for Cable and a separate run for my satellite. Used only compression connectors and quality blue tip barrels. Everything works perfectly now!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:58 AM   #5

Big1, what kind of outside connection is that?

We pick up our new Pinnacle 32RLTS next week and reading about the satellite issues has me a bit concerned. What antenna are you using? We had a Trav'ler for DISH on our previous fifth wheel but I'm thinking about a Pathway X2 for this one. Too many times trees were an issue for the Trav'ler. I know there are limits on using 2 tv's with the Pathway but I do want to be able to use both tv's. To complicate things the Pinnacle has the outside tv option so now I'm up to 3 tv's. I'm not sure how that is going to work. I guess I need to remember I'm camping to get away from things but you know how that goes.

As an aside, I assume Big1 means you were with the Big Red 1. I was with the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment in VN 67-68.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
Big1, what kind of outside connection is that? We pick up our new Pinnacle 32RLTS next week and reading about the satellite issues has me a bit concerned. What antenna are you using? We had a Trav'ler for DISH on our previous fifth wheel but I'm thinking about a Pathway X2 for this one. Too many times trees were an issue for the Trav'ler. I know there are limits on using 2 tv's with the Pathway but I do want to be able to use both tv's. To complicate things the Pinnacle has the outside tv option so now I'm up to 3 tv's. I'm not sure how that is going to work. I guess I need to remember I'm camping to get away from things but you know how that goes. As an aside, I assume Big1 means you were with the Big Red 1. I was with the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment in VN 67-68.
I have the Pathway X2 and have been super pleased with it. Very easy to set up. I struggled with have two Walley receivers, one in the LR & one in the BR. Threw my hands up and ditched the BR receiver and bought a HDMI extender. Works great even through a couple of walls. We seldom use the outdoor TV, but when we do and want satellite, I hook up the HDMI receiver to the outdoor TV.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Exte...EDYTYZ9CK0VYYY
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 05-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I have the Pathway X2 and have been super pleased with it. Very easy to set up. I struggled with have two Walley receivers, one in the LR & one in the BR. Threw my hands up and ditched the BR receiver and bought a HDMI extender. Works great even through a couple of walls. We seldom use the outdoor TV, but when we do and want satellite, I hook up the HDMI receiver to the outdoor TV.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Exte...EDYTYZ9CK0VYYY

So, think what this does is just transmit what is on the main tv to the secondary one, right? Maybe you could flesh this out for me with some details on how it works as this is something I have absolutely no familiarity with. The problem we have is the wife likes certain shows and I like mine. I like DIY, Science, Discovery, etc and she likes the Voice, animal and vet shows, etc. We usually watch tv only in the evening but most of the time it is not together. I'm beginning to think we may have to get the Trav'ler again.
Thanks.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:42 AM   #8
CAG

Quote:

We pick up our new Pinnacle 32RLTS next week and reading about the satellite issues has me a bit concerned. What antenna are you using? We had a Trav'ler for DISH on our previous fifth wheel but I'm thinking about a Pathway X2 for this one. Too many times trees were an issue for the Trav'ler. I know there are limits on using 2 tv's with the Pathway but I do want to be able to use both tv's. To complicate things the Pinnacle has the outside tv option so now I'm up to 3 tv's. I'm not sure how that is going to work. I guess I need to remember I'm camping to get away from things but you know how that goes.

As an aside, I assume Big1 means you were with the Big Red 1. I was with the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment in VN 67-68.
There are a number of threads concerning these issues. In Arizona, shade is prime ground so roof mounted Sat dishes become worthless under trees.

I have a Tailgator that I have been using for a number of years but had only one TV running off of it in the toyhauler. With the Greyhawk I now have three TVs and did not want an entire new system to see different channels on different TVs. There is a thread where I posted the recable to get the Tailgator signal into the main TV and then with an HDMI transmitter and two receivers got the signal to the other TVs. It works like a charm.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #9

Quote:
So, think what this does is just transmit what is on the main tv to the secondary one, right? I'm beginning to think we may have to get the Trav'ler again.
Thanks.
Yes, it simply transmits from the Walley in the LV to the HDMI receiver in the BR. Can you watch two different programs with the Trav'ler? I bought the Pathfinder because it can access both the western & eastern satellites.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 05-28-2020, 09:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Yes, it simply transmits from the Walley in the LV to the HDMI receiver in the BR. Can you watch two different programs with the Trav'ler? I bought the Pathfinder because it can access both the western & eastern satellites.
The Trav'ler only does western arc but it works just like at home. The wife can watch whatever she wants on the bedroom tv without regard to which satellite it is on. We set up an external hard drive on both Wally's so we could also record separately. I also have an OTA adapter to each one which lets me download any OTA channels we can get on the rooftop antenna. I kept everything but the Trav'ler when we traded. I would have kept it but I don't think having a patched up 2 inch hole and a bunch of 1/4 inch screw holes in the roof would have been helpful for the value.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #11

Quote:

The bottom is were I put in for the satellite cable it by pass the splitter.

I thought about running a separate cable but I was only having problem in the living room area and not the bedroom. I have the Dish Tailgater II.

I did twenty-eight years in the Army and part of it I was in an infantry unit, supply and a ASA ( Army Security Agency ).
Old 05-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #12

I had a Traveler on my MH prior to getting my Pinnacle. Basically, felt like you did so I went with a Winegard G3 on Dish. Its been really good, however, nothing as easy as the Traveler was. If I had it to do over...........go with the Traveler.
B&W Companion Hitch
Westyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #13

I was and still am a newbie so when I was searching I went with the Tailgater the antenna that I bought have two coaxial outputs so one for both room.

Can't wait to get out and try it, the wife and i are going out later to NV so get a chance to try it.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
I was and still am a newbie so when I was searching I went with the Tailgater the antenna that I bought have two coaxial outputs so one for both room. Can't wait to get out and try it, the wife and i are going out later to NV so get a chance to try it.
Big1, even though it has two outputs, you probably will not be able to watch different channels on both TVs, right?
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 05-28-2020, 08:02 PM   #15

Ahhhh, now that one I'm not sure on the package that I usually get within that particular package I get a few channels now weather I have to watch the same channels or I can watch channels within the package I usually sign up for I don't know.

I guess that's a good question I will have to call their cs tomorrow and ask.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:23 PM   #16

My understanding is with the tailgater types you have a primary and secondary connection. The primary is just that, you get all channels and satellites on it. The secondary, say for the bedroom tv, is limited to watching channels on whatever satellite the primary is locked into. Dish uses 3 by the way.

Reading the Winegard website info it says if a channel is changed on the secondary tv to a channel not on the same satellite as the primary it will lose connection and have to be reset. In my house that means a hacked off wife.

I hate spending the money but I'm beginning to think I need to go with another Trav'ler.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:50 PM   #17

Hmmm, okay with two receivers, but I guess that it doesn't matter.

How do you like your Pinnacle 32RLTS I look inside one and man I would have loved to have bought that one?
Old 05-29-2020, 06:48 AM   #18

F350...take the traveler antenna with you! that will save you a couple of thousands of dollars. it you have any questions call me at 9893022725.

I've taken my traveler off my trailer several times.
mboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Hmmm, okay with two receivers, but I guess that it doesn't matter.

How do you like your Pinnacle 32RLTS I look inside one and man I would have loved to have bought that one?
Not sure how we are going to like it long term but it did check most of the boxes we had on our list of wants: Good kitchen storage, Insignia free standing range/oven, adequate weight carrying capacity for our needs, decent sized bath and bedroom, good closet space and washer/dryer hook up. It also looks good inside and out and there is some attention to detail compared to some other we saw in this price range. Total weight and hitch weight were also a concern. Our Excel had 3200 pounds of hitch weight with a total of 16,300 fully loaded. We wanted something a bit lighter for the single rear wheel truck. We've had duallies in the past and I'm kind of done with them.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
F350...take the traveler antenna with you! that will save you a couple of thousands of dollars. it you have any questions call me at 9893022725.

I've taken my traveler off my trailer several times.
Thought about that but the Trav'ler was 8 years old. I'm thinking it needs a refresh.