Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

Satellite hook up North Point 377

Hi everyone,
Was wondering how the satellite hook up works in the rig. We have a tailgater from dish now and only had one tv in our old rv. I used the second output on the tailgater for my outdoor tv. We have a 377 on order now and I wasn't to sure how Jayco runs the cable/satellite/aux inputs from the utility dock to the 5 locations in the rv. Do they use splitters throughout?
Thanks in advance
Erichards2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:30 PM   #2

Not sure about the North Point but in my Seneca they use a HDMI in/Ethernet out splitter. The HDMI comes out of the Dish box to the splitter. The splitter has four Ethernet out which go to the TV's. Then it's converted back to HDMI with a connector and into the HDMI on the TV. I'm guessing the Ethernet is cheaper to run throughout the coach than HDMI.

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #3

I'm by no means an expert on sat. I have the 375BHFS and have hookups on both sides of the front baggage compartments. Don't know if the 377 is similar or not. I hooked one dish cable to I think the left side and one park cable. That gave me sat to the main living area TV and gave me cable to the front bedroom. Then I hooked one sat. dish cable and one park cable to the right side inputs. That gave me sat. in the rear bunk house and cable to the outside TV. I only have two sat boxes. so that's all I need. Don't know if that helps you any or not, as I said the 377 may be totally different. I also ran two cables permanently underneath the unit from front to the rear so it's easier to hookup next time around.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #4

Short answer is that the single coax coming from the tailgater to the receiver will send the same sat channel to all connected TVs.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:44 AM   #5

So the two receivers I have already would be just fine for the living and bedroom. I just didn't know if the satellite connection went to every tv in the rv.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:58 AM   #6

Came across this thread. This may help. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...lbh-34009.html
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadester View Post
Came across this thread. This may help. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...lbh-34009.html
Awesome, thanks for the thread. Now I hope it comes in before the late spring!
Old 12-28-2016, 07:39 PM   #8

There is so much information on here that it is hard to search for specific information so I apologize if these questions have already been answered.

I've been looking at Dish for our 2017 White Hawk. I talked to a gentleman today who seemed to be knowledgeable and does home installations. If I understood him correctly you can not have a coaxial splitter on a satellite signal.

Our WH has coax outlets in the kitchen. bedroom and one outside. It has a sat/cable input in the back. So if it is true (about the splitter) how would I connect a dish or Playmaker to be able to watch sat on 2 tv's? I'm guessing that 2 receivers are needed but wonder if the trailer has splitters and how it would work/not work.

Also, how well does the Playmaker work? The guy that I talked to didn't seem to be too keen on them (although a little more than Tailgator) Does it require a lot of setting up each time? Is it reliable?

Would a dish on a tripod be better than a Playmaker? I understand that you can find a dish much cheaper than the portable dome type "dish?".

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #9

You can split after the sat receiver. You can't split between the dish and the receiver.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #10

Back in the day it was easiest to get a tripod and a two channel nounted satellite dish. Then i would run a RG cable from each of the two ports to the trailer and go all the way to the Living room with one RG cable and the bedroom with the other RG cable. Then I would bring two SAt RCVRS from the house along with me and use at each location.

I used the VIDEO OUTPUTs from each SAt RCVR to connect to a VIDEO INPUT on the monitors. This allowed me to switch from cable TV and SAT TV using the remotes...

This was for standard SAT TV back in the day...

Todays SAT TV has come along way and of course not as simple to use like back in the early days... Even tho there was always two outside connections with one labeled CABLE and the other labeled SAT TV they both went through splitters... I never could get them to work with an external SAT TV DISH setup so had to route a RG cable all the way to the TV set locations...

Just some thoughts from the past here haha.... When the digital HDTV signals from the local towns came to life a few years ago we stopped messing with SAT TV. We can pickup enough full blown HDTV digital OTA TV signals to keep us entertained when camping off-grid.

I know I am not much help with your posted problem - just adding some insight here...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:29 PM   #11

Thanks for the help with this. We've only ever had cable. I have no experience with sat. So every tidbit helps with this.

I'm with you on the local HD channels but we watch a lot of History, Discovery and love Encore Westerns. We can always bring a stack of dvd's.

With only one sat/cable input to the rv and 3 coax out connections it seems that the RV industry is lagging a little behind in the technology area.

I need to see if I can find where the splitter(s) are. If it is at the main TV area and I can disconnect it, I would be OK with just having sat on one TV at a time.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #12

We have a 377 and been using Directv for 20 years now and about 7 or so years with us while camping.

On the 377 you have SAT/CABLE/AUX in the UDC.

We run two receivers in our unit, one the living room and one we put int he bedroom and carry outside in the morning for the outside TV.

What I do is run one RG6 line into the SAT jack then the other RG6 line into the AUX and we can watch two different TV's and channels at the same time. I am sure they use satellite designed splitter

If you hook up to the cable jack you will not get a signal as the power antenna will block the signal. On all other units I did the by-pass set-up so we could watch two different TV's with different channels at the same time.

2016 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH
2012 Ford F350 CC Lariat with F/X Pkg. 6.7, 11500 GVWR & Pullrite Autoslide
EGR & DEF Delete and 5" Exhaust
Blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote